Bachmann OO9 'mainline' Hunslets

AY Mod

• 2 weeks later...

I've had nothing but trouble with my tender version Linda. Desperately poor running from the start, has been back to Bachmann for it twice and returned with no improvement,  and so has finally been returned to Antics, who kindly tested others before offering a replacement, but found that others had similar issues, so refunded my money.

A great pity, as I should have liked one of these, but there is obviously a fundamental problem which at best leaves them a lottery. Given how good the Baldwins are, and even the Quarry Hunslets (after fettling and cleaning of pickups and wheel backs), there can't be anything unusually complicated about these - but something is out of tolerance....

Quarry Hunslets

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Giles said:

I've had nothing but trouble with my tender version Linda. Desperately poor running from the start, has been back to Bachmann for it twice and returned with no improvement,  and so has finally been returned to Antics, who kindly tested others before offering a replacement, but found that others had similar issues, so refunded my money.

A great pity, as I should have liked one of these, but there is obviously a fundamental problem which at best leaves them a lottery. Given how good the Baldwins are, and even the Quarry Hunslets (after fettling and cleaning of pickups and wheel backs), there can't be anything unusually complicated about these - but something is out of tolerance....

The normal issue of a faulty batch coming off the production line together and going in the same box which is then opened by the shop would explain Antics finding fault with a number.

On 21/10/2023 at 10:06, Giles said:

Quarry Hunslets

At the end of your video (5.01mins) you zoom in to Linda. In this still picture the angle of the coupling rod cranks looks to be decidedly different suggesting either the quartering is incorrect or the wheel-sets have been replaced incorrectly when refitting into the drive gears. These small chassis' will be very susceptible to any errors in this area and resulting poor running is often more noticeable in one specific direction just as you have found.

Not good that Bachmann failed to fix it twice. I'd definitely return it for a refund.

• 3 months later...

Evening all, after some help. I've fitted dcc chip to the 0-4-0 Blanche before but I've got a second that I'm turning into Linda as I prefer that livery. I've removed the 5 screws and pipework as per last time I chipped one but I cannot get the body off this time. Has anyone else had a really stiff body and overcome it? If you have any advice on how would be great!

Update. I forgot the instructions are poor and you have to remove more screws than it says! All sorted.

Edited by Karl
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1