Bachmann OO9 'mainline' Hunslets

AY Mod

4 hours ago, didcot said:

My Charles is also getting a bit lumpy as is Britomart. I've upped the start voltage on Britomart. It moves off like it's stuck and suddenly freed.

Alice will be going back though. Locks up solid.

Check the pickups are still in contact. My Britomart became stuttery after 6 hours and the pickups were flat by the sides.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Check the pickups are still in contact. My Britomart became stuttery after 6 hours and the pickups were flat by the sides.

Yes my Nesta was pretty lumpy out the box, bending them out again only lasts a short while on other locos I’ve had that on because the 90° bend destroys the ‘spring’ in the wiper. I’ve gently curved the long arm of the wiper out on mine, like I’ve done on other locos, and it retains its spring against the wheels. 

• Like 1

Getting both excited and apprehensive. I have a 'tendered' Linda with sound along with Nesta and Dorothea on their way but it's looking like they will spend christmas in a Parcel Depot. 

Admittedly, the reports of people having issues have me on edge. 😕

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

Admittedly, the reports of people having issues have me on edge. 😕

I wouldn’t worry too much they are basically good models just some alignment irritating glitches that got through the qc sampling. Nothing they can really do about that apart from what they are doing to fix them.
Just run it in then try running slowly ;) 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Finally now that the festive nonsense is out of the way I was able to test my repaired Blanche. She runs smooth as anything now, forward and backwards. Tiny bit noisy going forward but near silent backwards. I'm debating selling her to be honest as she really was a impulse purchase, unlike the Quarry Hunslets which I've been wanting and waiting for for years, and I have no real use for her. Although given the fact there have been even more reported running issues with them than the mainline ones, my excitement levels for Alice and Nesta are waning somewhat. Oh well, I'll see when they get here.

My 0-4-0STT Linda arrived today. Again a lovely looking model.

Put it on my piece of test track, it runs back and forth very smoothly. I can even get it to crawl with a HM2000 controller. Only then is a small tight spot noticeable. Easily the best out of the box so far.

The tender has pick ups I think as there are wires running between loco and tender. It's permanently coupled. There is also a moveable fall plate between loco and tender. 

12 minutes ago, didcot said:

My 0-4-0STT Linda arrived today....The tender has pick ups I think as there are wires running between loco and tender. It's permanently coupled. There is also a moveable fall plate between loco and tender.

I'm assuming the minium radius is as stated by Bachmann and in no way will it go round a 192mm curve.

• RMweb Gold
On 02/11/2022 at 10:04, AY Mod said:

Lighting:
 Firebox Glow (on analogue) / Firebox Glow & Flicker (on DCC or when SOUND FITTED models are used on analogue)

5 minutes ago, big jim said:

didn’t notice the firebox glow at first but it really sets it off nicely, should it flicker though as mine doesn’t?

DCC only for flicker, glows on dc. 

If its factory DCC sound yes.

I have Linda with tender, dcc ready and it just glows orange from the small amount of running I have done with it. Once Next18 chipped it should flicker, but I think you have to turn on some of the functions.

• RMweb Gold

Mine is on DCC with a Bachmann decoder and it’s just glowing. 

I suppose I could just look at the instructions and see if I need to turn a function on to make it flicker but being a bloke I ain’t going to be doing that now am I! 

My DCC Sound fitted Linda (with tender) arrived today. The firebox flickers in time with the exhaust beats and I'm very impressed.

Admittedly, if you open the firehole door all the way then you can see straight into the firebox and the LED's from many angles on the tender version. That being due to the open back of the cab. However, close the firehole door a bit to obscure a direct view and it works extremely well. It even flickers more when you activate the blower which I'm most impressed about.

She has a slight click when running slowly but to my ears it's a pickup catching on a wheel. I've therefore released the keeper plate and adjusted them a little but didn't have time for another test. She won't get fully run in until I get her up the club on Thursday night as I've only got 3ft of correct gauge track and no rolling road. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, big jim said:

Mine is on DCC with a Bachmann decoder and it’s just glowing. 

I suppose I could just look at the instructions and see if I need to turn a function on to make it flicker but being a bloke I ain’t going to be doing that now am I! 

It says glow and flicker on DCC in Andy’s first post so you might need to switch it to flicker 😀

• Thanks 1

As the two LED's seem to function separately under DCC Sound it would make sense if they were separate functions on a standard DCC decoder. 

If you are just getting orange then that's the glow as the flickering is done by the yellow LED it seems.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, R1ch1ew said:

I'm trying to get hold of a DCC Sound Linda with Tender (391-130SF), can't seem to track any down, have they sold out already? 

The Hobby Shop at Faversham is showing one on his website www.hobb-e-mail.com 

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, R1ch1ew said:

I'm trying to get hold of a DCC Sound Linda with Tender (391-130SF), can't seem to track any down, have they sold out already? 

There were some at the Ffestiniog Railway Harbour Station shop on Friday, but at full RRP of £314.

Just chipped my Linda with tender. Relatively easy, but the injector pipe work needs untangling before the body comes off.

I used the recommended Bachmann chip. I had to change some CV settings as per the loco instructions. Functions 1 & 2 turned on the firebox glow, but also the brake function. Following the instruction it's now F1 & F3. There are also recommended CV settings for flicker.

Charles size comparison.

This represents the ideal size of loco for my OO-9 needs. This is the DCC sound fitted version. Quite a lot packed in this compact package with driver/fireman giving voice commands (that are sadly louder than the chuff!).

I have only test run it for about 2 feet, the functions are fine. 

However when I asked the railmaster system to read the chip to change the address, I kept getting error. The sound fitted Bachmann Baldwin also struggled here too. I am left feeling that Railmaster and 18 pin chips don't get along!

Hunslet01.jpg

Hunslet02.jpg

Hunslet03.jpg

Hunslet04.jpg