Heljan OO Gauge Class 57 - New Batch Announced

brynna79

This is going to be interesting, the original Heljan 57/3 in Virgin livery didn't have the Thunderbird nameplates & the radiator grilles at the A end roof sides were just plastic, they were metal on the Bachmann offering which came later. 

Also the original Heljan 57's suffered with the same bulgy problem that the 47's did. Bachmanns slimmed down body looked much better. It's great to see Heljan have got the license to produce the nameplates this time around & I'll be very interested to see how Heljans Dellner coupling attachment compares to Barwells. 

The Barwell 57 is a big favourite of mine (minus the class 57/0 variant with the chunky headlight) so the Heljan one has big shoes to fill. I'll be watching this project with great interest indeed. 

kind of on the fence with this one. The original doesn't stack up to the Bachmann offering, and they never tooled for the Dellner coupler. So does these releases mean that they have? As far as the listed upgrades go, it isnt mentioned. If it still has the fatter appearance I will stick with my Bachy offerings.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

Apparently original tooling with upgraded chassis and no delner couplings 

Well in that case these are doomed to fail already as the Network Rail example had a Dellner or the recepticle where the Dellner was at least... I'm hoping Heljan have had a crack at the coupler at least. 

Edited by vanbasher
  • Agree 2

I can't believe they are duplicating the Bachmann offering, you'd have thought they'd gone for a different running number instead of 57312 !

57603 in GWR green will be a good addition as they previously produced all the others on the original release.

And presume the 57/6's will come with snow ploughs.

If you look at Hattons advert for these locos there are drop down menus describing body shells etc. They do say 57/3 models will have Dellner apertures and roof and side grills etched so a very much updated tooling I would say

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Heljan are producing a new upgraded batch of their Class 57 diesel locomotives in OO gauge. Back in the range after a long absence, this new batch features an upgraded chassis with LED lighting and a 21-pin decoder socket. Eight variations are due to arrive by Q2 2023 covering Virgin Trains, First Great Western, Great Western Railway, West Coast Railways and Network Rail liveries.

Looking at the list, 57/6’s dont have Dellner cutouts.

Virgin 57/3’s initially didnt have dellners so its only the Network Rail one that sits odd.

For £152 i’m not expecting this to be much of an upgrade, but as Bachmann has well eaten this market i’m not expecting huge excitement either.

1 hour ago, WCML100 said:

Heljan confirmed on a Facebook comment of the release that none will feature dellner couplers. Pointless release if you ask me!

Possibly the thing motivating it is that Heljan had an awful lot of "57" body shells sitting needing used up?  Possibly catering for the same(ish) market as the Hornby Railroad plus recent effort, only wanting some more finesse (if not actual accuracy) in the execution.  That and Bachmann haven't done a batch for a few years.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/11/2022 at 09:21, JohnC said:

If you look at Hattons advert for these locos there are drop down menus describing body shells etc. They do say 57/3 models will have Dellner apertures and roof and side grills etched so a very much updated tooling I would say

After posting the above , I spoke to Heljan at Warley and they confirmed there are NO Dellner couplings on their new run of class 57 locos.

• 1 year later...

I noticed on that somebody complained the Top Headlight does not work and Heljan replied

"Unfortunately the top lights aren’t illuminated on the Class 57s.

This is a rerun of an older model (dating from the 2000s) and although the chassis has received a small upgrade the specification is not as sophisticated as our latest models."

I would have thought this info might have made a website

It is not mentioned on the Rails of Sheffield website

https://railsofsheffield.com/search?tags_brand_td93xydblb7cxukrqni65zsz=Heljan&q=Class 57

Take note if you intend to buy one of these locos

Peter

• Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, Peter749 said:

I noticed on that somebody complained the Top Headlight does not work and Heljan replied

This is a rerun of an older model (dating from the 2000s) and although the chassis has received a small upgrade the specification is not as sophisticated as our latest models."

https://railsofsheffield.com/search?tags_brand_td93xydblb7cxukrqni65zsz=Heljan&q=Class 57

Peter

It's not wise to point out what may be considered defects in one's 'new' models!

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk

3 hours ago, Peter749 said:

Peter

Interesting, as the old Heljan class 57s top lights did work. 

• Like 1

I mean the 57/3’s aren’t accurate really as 57312 in NR yellow had a Delner (or another style) coupler but on the model it’s not there, seems a bit daft to me…

• Agree 2