RMweb

Bachmann Locos & Kadee Couplings

Guest Max Stafford

I find that the number 18 does the trick in both cases. If you want a larger coupled distance for train set radius curves, use No 19s.

Dave.

I find that the number 18 does the trick in both cases. If you want a larger coupled distance for train set radius curves, use No 19s.

Dave.

I tried an 18 and it sits to low, that's what prompted the question really.

E

• RMweb Gold

I tried an 18 and it sits to low, that's what prompted the question really.

E

Sadly for you, all four of the Kadee NEM-fitting couplings - #s17-20 - are the same height, suggesting that the coupling box is wrong. If you want to use Kadees, you may be faced with altering the mounting, and using a US-standard model. Check their website for heights and over- or under-shank types.

• Agree 1

Guest Max Stafford

It depends what you mean by low. The coupling mounts on these locos are set at more or less the correct height. Check that the pocket itself is fully home into its housing. There is a certain amount of vertical adjustment in the mount. If it's the trip pin itself that's a bit low, try bending the pin itself up slightly, but not enough to prevent magnetic operation. Lastly, check the coupler heights on your wagons, maybe they're set too high. Earlier Bachmann products can have this problem.

Dave.

Thanks for your cotinuing assistance guys. I checked the wagons against the coupler gauge and they are spot on. I have checked that the NEM is right home on the 25 and it appears to be.

The Kadee is still sitting low and the trip bar is lower than the plate on the coupler gauge not mucg but enough to be noticable and catch it.

Will have another play tommorrow and see how I get on.

Thanks

E

Guest Max Stafford

Looks like you've identified the problem then. It's just a case of turning up the trip pin until it remains above the baseplate on the gauge.

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your cotinuing assistance guys. I checked the wagons against the coupler gauge and they are spot on. I have checked that the NEM is right home on the 25 and it appears to be.

The Kadee is still sitting low and the trip bar is lower than the plate on the coupler gauge not mucg but enough to be noticable and catch it.

Kadee sell trip-pin pliers, which I have found useful over the last 20 years - but they aren't exactly cheap. Long-nosed pliers, gently squeezed, will get the pin bending a little, but do it in the middle of the curve, so there isn't too much strain on the pin-head joint. It's the end of the pin that needs to be lifted, to avoid baulking on checkrails etc. The rest of the curved part of the pin will usually glide over obstacles even if it is still a bit low, and the plastic NEM shank should obviate risks of shorting.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Ian

Although I too have adjusted the coupler trip pin on various errant couplers I would stress its better if possible to get the whole coupler adjusted correctly then there is a better chance of them operating properly and not coming apart from couplers that are the correct height.

cheers

Chris

Ian

Although I too have adjusted the coupler trip pin on various errant couplers I would stress its better if possible to get the whole coupler adjusted correctly then there is a better chance of them operating properly and not coming apart from couplers that are the correct height.

cheers

Chris

I too have a bachie 25 (and a class 24) and on both of mine it seems to me a classic example of kadee droop - i.e. trip pin pliers are not a good solution as the coupler clasp is at the wrong height too - I have tried shimming the bottom of the NEM coupler but that was not sufficient - I have not gone back to the problem yet but was intending to try two half shims - one at the top of the rear of the NEM box and one at the bottom of the front of the box to make the coupler point up a little and counteract the droop - let me know if you get anywhere or if anyone else has any good ideas -

TimP

• RMweb Gold

I too have a bachie 25 (and a class 24) and on both of mine it seems to me a classic example of kadee droop - i.e. trip pin pliers are not a good solution as the coupler clasp is at the wrong height too - I have tried shimming the bottom of the NEM coupler but that was not sufficient - I have not gone back to the problem yet but was intending to try two half shims - one at the top of the rear of the NEM box and one at the bottom of the front of the box to make the coupler point up a little and counteract the droop - let me know if you get anywhere or if anyone else has any good ideas -

TimP

It may also be worth trying to swap the NEM pocket with one off another wagon - the fishtail mounting can be levered out with a small flat screwdriver

Chris

It may also be worth trying to swap the NEM pocket with one off another wagon - the fishtail mounting can be levered out with a small flat screwdriver

Chris

Hi guys thanks for all your suggestions. I agree with Tim now that the problem is coupler droop and as yet I have been unable to overcome this. The fish tail just isn't man enough to support the coupler weight. I tried wedging it up with some microstrip which did improve things but it still isn't enough. The fishtail and pocket from a 12t vent van made no difference.

So it's back to the drawing board i'm afraid as frustrating as it is.

E

I fitted a small shim between the bottom of coupler shank & the NEM socket & it all measures up OK against Kadee height gauge. Some do & some don't when first plugged in.

I would second that - a offcut from a brass etching surround usually does the trick when slipped between the bottom of the coupling and the socket and if needed can be bent slightly to hold the Kadee at the correct height.

I would second that - a offcut from a brass etching surround usually does the trick when slipped between the bottom of the coupling and the socket and if needed can be bent slightly to hold the Kadee at the correct height.

Hi guys

I have finally found a reasonable soloution, I tried a small piece of plasticard between the coupler shank and the pocket but this wasn't quite emough and I couldn't get a thicker piece of card in.

What I have opted for in the end is to glue a T shaped piece of plasticard to the bottom of the bogie frame with the longest leg sitting below the NEM pocket. I then shimmed between this T piece and the bottom of the NEM pocket using thin plasticard to force the coupler up, as much shimming can be added here to achieve the required height and glued in place. This also alows the coupler to be removed or changed as required.

Thank you for all your suggestions-got there in the end.

E

• 2 months later...

Hi guys

I have finally found a reasonable soloution, I tried a small piece of plasticard between the coupler shank and the pocket but this wasn't quite emough and I couldn't get a thicker piece of card in.

What I have opted for in the end is to glue a T shaped piece of plasticard to the bottom of the bogie frame with the longest leg sitting below the NEM pocket. I then shimmed between this T piece and the bottom of the NEM pocket using thin plasticard to force the coupler up, as much shimming can be added here to achieve the required height and glued in place. This also alows the coupler to be removed or changed as required.

Thank you for all your suggestions-got there in the end.

E

Hey there... hope nobody gets offended with ressurecting an old thread, but I was wondering if you might be able to post a couple pics relating to your Kadee installations?

Thanks again!

• 9 years later...

Has anybody fitted Kadees to a Bachmann class 04 diesel shunter ? It currently has the older style tension lock couplers. I have fitted Kadees to many wagons but it usually involved gluing some shims to the underside. I want to aviod doing that to the loco if possible.

• RMweb Gold

Not on 04 but I have used an existing hole and screw  and drilled a small hole in the neck of a NEM KD in similar circumstances.

Not great side movement but its a KD.

With NEM KD equipped locos I do tend to use a brakevan or a runner with a box KD coupled to the loco to make shunting more reliable anyway.

Chris

• Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, brian777999 said:

Has anybody fitted Kadees to a Bachmann class 04 diesel shunter ? It currently has the older style tension lock couplers. I have fitted Kadees to many wagons but it usually involved gluing some shims to the underside. I want to aviod doing that to the loco if possible.

Quick nasty method is to drill a hole in the shank of a NEM Kadee and simply fit it place with the screw that holds the tension lock in place. Downside is the only movement is that provided by pivot to the knuckle coupling do it might cause problems depending on how sharp curves are.

• Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, brian777999 said:

Given that it was quite common for 04s to operate with a runner wagon, you could try making a Conflat into one by keeping the tension lock on the 'loco' end and a Kadee on the 'shunting' end. 

steve

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1