RMweb

Recommendation for a decent decoder while we wait for Zimo

alangdance

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, packetlos said:

I've ended up moving to ESU decoders, I needed railcom functionality so my choices were limited and I find the motor control is just as good if not better.

I thought Railcom was more or less standard these days.

I don't use it but all my decoders AFAIK have it.

I bought a couple of Train-o-matic Lokommander II Next18 decoders as a stop gap which aren't bad. I chose these because they have abc braking which, as it turned out, isn't as good as Zimo with a bit of slow and crawl action but still works. Overall though they are definitely 'ok' and motor control is quite good providing you play around with the CVs.  For some strange reason the default maximum speed cv5 is set to 200 which needs changing to 255 before you can start doing much with it. The mid speed default for cv6 is also quite low at 60.  These will need playing with to get them working how you want them.  Having said that, I think these are getting harder to find now too. 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Roger Sunderland said:

Zimo seem to be filtering through now, You Choos have restocked quite a few types. The basic “budget” decoder, which is truly excellent, has gone up to £25.

Thanks for that, just about cleared Coastal DCC out of mx600r’s this afternoon 😁

7 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

Keith,

It is fair to say that European decoder manufacturers have it, but anything that has a US heritage still doesn't - especially all the rebadged stuff such as Gaugemaster, DCC Concepts, Dapol, etc. 

Except that TCS, a notable US decoder manufacturer, now has RailCom on over half of their very large decoder range.

Their new, advanced CS105 command station, is also equipped for RailCom operation.

As a basic decoder that seems to have good motor control, although not quite up to Zimo standards, I have used some of the Rails Connect decoders. They seem to be DCC Concepts based, so who knows where that is from, but at £20 they work well in Lima and Hornby RTR stuff. Not sure if they have Railcom though.

Nigel L

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Lemmy282 said:

As a basic decoder that seems to have good motor control, although not quite up to Zimo standards, I have used some of the Rails Connect decoders. They seem to be DCC Concepts based, so who knows where that is from, but at £20 they work well in Lima and Hornby RTR stuff. Not sure if they have Railcom though.

Nigel L

For £20 you can buy a Lenz Standard + which does have Railcom.

Thank Ron Ron Ron, I don't use Railcom so it is not a problem.

For some reason I have never been a fan of Lenz, had some bad experiences with them early on when we started in DCC, so have steered clear since, just my personal preference, they have probably improved since then.

I have tried to standardize on Zimo, so it is good to see them coming back into circulation.

Nigel L