My journey in TT:120 begins

gc4946

• RMweb Premium

At the moment the choice of Mk1 types is limited, only composites and brake 2nds.

According to page 22 of the brochure, in phase 4, Hornby will offer a Mk1 BG (described as parcels coach) and an all second class coach (not known if its SK or SO) in era 4 (crimson/cream) livery.

I hope in the fullness of time Hornby offers the same full range of their Mk1s in TT as they do in OO.

Edited by gc4946
clarification
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

You're right trains were formed of a much higher proportion of all 2nd (or pre-1956 3rd) class carriages but with so much to launch as part of the TT:120 range Hornby probably didn't have the design or tooling capacity to bring out an all Mk1 2nd (or 3rd) class carriage immediately, yet they've done so for the ex-LMS Stanier types they're offering (i.e. all 1st, all 2nd (3rd), brake 2nd (3rd) and BG guards/luggage)

Edited by gc4946
  • Like 1

there was a young lad at the folkestone & hythe club this evening with his new train set, "The Eastener" in TT-120. It looked most impressive and seemed to have 3 different Mk1 coaches and an A4. It all looked very nice, but he soon found the couplings are rather delicate. He had siding kit to go with the basic oval and had it running on a couple of tables in no time. Good luck to him and Hornby hobbies, this stuff looks lovely and certainly ran well straight out of the box. the only criticism, they should have included an uncoupler stick in the box.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 22/02/2023 at 22:34, gc4946 said:

You're right trains were formed of a much higher proportion of all 2nd (or pre-1956 3rd) class carriages but with so much to launch as part of the TT:120 range Hornby probably didn't have the design or tooling capacity to bring out an all Mk1 2nd (or 3rd) class carriage immediately, yet they've done so for the ex-LMS Stanier types they're offering (i.e. all 1st, all 2nd (3rd), brake 2nd (3rd) and BG guards/luggage)

There should be an option for the bold : Worsley  Works say they are willing to do their 3mm scale stuff reduced to  TT:120 Worsley Works - TT:120 statement

Now they have a pretty comprehensive range of etched brass Mk1 sides in 3mm... Worsley Works etched Mk1 sides (3mm scale range)

And plain maroon , to match Hornby's Mk1s , should be one of the easiest liveries to spray . Suitable Lining should be available in 2mm /N (and is probably overscale for them) . Use a Hornby CK as donor vehicle, cut away most of the existing side, then reskin with painted new etched sides. A recognised technique in 4mm

So - once a few orders have persuaded Alan at Worsleyt to make up an etched sheet , it should be game on for alternative Mk1s

Edited by Ravenser
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Hornby's displaying pre-production models of their Gresley 61'6" teak carriages at Glasgow, photographed by a Hornby Forum member (courtesy Dave the Busker) 

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/forum/teak-344837?ccm_paging_p=2#end-of-replies

They're a corridor 3rd and corridor brake composite (models between a Mk2 air-con and the Duchess steam loco)

I'll preorder both types if they're produced in crimson/cream or maroon.

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, gc4946 said:

I've already looked at Worsley Works website.

There's possibilities for modifying Mk1 (and forthcoming) LMS Stanier stock.

I happened to see Allan from Worsley Works at our local 009 Society Group meeting this afternoon and we had a chat about TT:120.  With Hornby Mk1’s starting to become available, he’s wondering if anyone will want to buy product from Hornby that can be converted into other diagrams using his etched parts (either as an overlay or replacement sides)?

The issue with preparing etched sheets for smaller scales is that it takes more orders to fill / complete a sheet for production of course.  As Worsley are a ‘cottage industry’ manufacturer this is a valid consideration.

Just thought I’d pass on our conversation for the wider audience we have here.  Hope that’s OK.  Thanks, Keith.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Quickly dismantled a Hornby Mk1.

One-piece moulded body shell with moulded-on door handles, handrails on ends and roof details

Separate mouldings for gangways clipped in, glued in flush glazing.

One piece unpainted interior.

Underframe specific to carriage type with moulded footboards and relevant fittings, truss rods separately attached, kinematic couplings screwed to carriage floor. 

Bogies can be unclipped.

GEDC1146.JPG

GEDC1147.JPG

Edited by gc4946
Added extra photo
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

An experiment in hacking one of Hornby's Mk1 composites.

I'm modelling the corridor side of a Mk1 first corridor (FK). Hornby's never made a model of that type in OO.

It's taken a pair of sides cut from a composite carriage to get this far.

However I'll need to cut up another Mk1 composite (CK) to yield enough 1st class windows on the compartment side which are set wider than the 2nd class ones ... and then attach the modified sides to another donor Mk1 composite.

I'll also need to hack the moulded interior to create 7 first class compartments instead of four first and three second class compartments and to move the roof ventilators to suit the new layout.

The sides are 161 mm long, the plastic is 1 mm thick and reasonably malleable, but requires accurate work with a scalpel, craft knife and files .

Similar work can be done to represent the rare Mk1 restaurant 1st open (RFO) (1-11) and the first few Mk1 first opens (FO) built (3000-3002)

GEDC1152.JPG

Edited by gc4946
added prototype information
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

1 hour ago, gc4946 said:

but requires accurate work with a scalpel, craft knife and files .

For interest, in cutting and shutting of that nature I use a CMK razor saw butted against an engineers square- cut width is around 8 thou with enough control to give a finished edge.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, natterjack said:

For interest, in cutting and shutting of that nature I use a CMK razor saw butted against an engineers square- cut width is around 8 thou with enough control to give a finished edge.

I own an Xacto razor saw but guess your CMK saw gives a much finer cut

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, gc4946 said:

I own an Xacto razor saw but guess your CMK saw gives a much finer cut

Well, the CMK type was designed by plastic kit modellers for improved precision work on plastic kits. Amongst the myriad other types I have they are my 'go to' for styrene and similar..

• Informative/Useful 1

21 hours ago, gc4946 said:

An experiment in hacking one of Hornby's Mk1 composites.

I'm modelling the corridor side of a Mk1 first corridor (FK). Hornby's never made a model of that type in OO.

It's taken a pair of sides cut from a composite carriage to get this far.

However I'll need to cut up another Mk1 composite (CK) to yield enough 1st class windows on the compartment side which are set wider than the 2nd class ones ... and then attach the modified sides to another donor Mk1 composite.

I'll also need to hack the moulded interior to create 7 first class compartments instead of four first and three second class compartments and to move the roof ventilators to suit the new layout.

The sides are 161 mm long, the plastic is 1 mm thick and reasonably malleable, but requires accurate work with a scalpel, craft knife and files .

Similar work can be done to represent the rare Mk1 restaurant 1st open (RFO) (1-11) and the first few Mk1 first opens (FO) built (3000-3002)

GEDC1152.JPG

In 4mm , I believe the  traditional simplest cut and shut  was a 57' BG from the brake sections of two BSKs , mounted to a shortened underframe.

Apparently the remaining sections of the coaches could be cut and shut to an SK /TSO , though it was apparently rather more involved

While Hornby are promising a BG and a full second ( not sure if SK or TSO , though the bodyshell is the same) later on, experience in 4mm with all manufacturers across all Marks suggests that brakes get over produced and all seconds are generally in short supply.

So a cut and shut that takes 2 x BSK and gives SK/TSO + a parcels van may have some use even once Hornby have released the relevant coaches as RTR

On 23/02/2023 at 00:06, roythebus1 said:

the only criticism, they should have included an uncoupler stick in the box.

Have an ice lolly, and when you've finished it, use the stick. Works for Zeuke, BTTB, and Tillig couplers, and from the look of things, it should work for those of the Hornby models as well.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, jmh67 said:

Have an ice lolly, and when you've finished it, use the stick. Works for Zeuke, BTTB, and Tillig couplers, and from the look of things, it should work for those of the Hornby models as well.

The "Hornby couplers" are Tillig couplers.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's been quiet on the 1:120 front, work's progressing on a cut and shut job to create a Mk1 first corridor. 

This'll probably be my only such conversion.

Hornby's tank wagons and LNER Toad brake van in LNER and BR liveries have landed in Britain according to their online shop so fingers crossed my pre-ordered BR brake van will be in my hands soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gc4946 said:

Hornby's tank wagons and LNER Toad brake van in LNER and BR liveries have landed in Britain according to their online shop so fingers crossed my pre-ordered BR brake van will be in my hands soon.

I just hope that things I want, like the Toad, will be in stock at the same time as other things I want, so that I can make a combined order shipped at once...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Payment has been taken for my BR livery Toad brake van.

It's a good thing I preordered that because Hornby's online shop currently has none in stock,.

The LNER livery version is the only one available.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My last rolling stock purchase for some time now.

Hornby's LNER Toad E brake van in BR unfitted grey livery, handrails are all moulded on compared with separately fitted ones on the OO version.

GEDC1167.JPG

• Like 5

On 21/03/2023 at 15:42, gc4946 said:

My last rolling stock purchase for some time now.

Hornby's LNER Toad E brake van in BR unfitted grey livery, handrails are all moulded on compared with separately fitted ones on the OO version.

GEDC1167.JPG

Less likely to get damaged....

Les

Coming up from N where separate handrails are rare.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I dug out a Heljan engine shed bought for N and found the loading gauge suitable for TT:120.

Although my current layout setup hasn't provision for an engine shed, it's a feasible possibility for the future. 

Similarly a short platform halt.

GEDC1168.JPG

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2