Hornby - Warley Model Railway Exhibition Special announcement 26.11.22

RyanN91

Looks like the experience promised was bewilderment followed by hysterical laughter.

The most underwhelming announcement of the whole show, I bet the Hornby diehard fans don't know how to react.  An unfrocked Coronation.  To celebrate the Coronation.  Woo.

Nice to see the traditional Hornby "That'll do-itis" has returned with a vengeance.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Looks like the experience promised was bewilderment followed by hysterical laughter.

The most underwhelming announcement of the whole show, I bet the Hornby diehard fans don't know how to react.  An unfrocked Coronation.  To celebrate the Coronation.  Woo.

Nice to see the traditional Hornby "That'll do-itis" has returned with a vengeance.

To be fair it was not Hornby who built up the expectations generated by 14 pages in this thread. They just said an announcement at 12 and that is what we got.  

Edited by Vistisen
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

3 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Not a bad bit of marketing by Hornby. Got fifteen pages (and counting) worth of free publicity on RMweb for what is a comparatively minor Warley announcment.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Not a bad bit of marketing by Hornby. Got fifteen pages (and counting) worth of free publicity on RMweb for what is a comparatively minor Warley announcment.

It's either epic trolling or they're trawling through the post for good ideas.....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vistisen said:

To bre fair it was not Hornby who built up the expectations generated by 14 pages in this thread. They just said an announcment at 12 and that is what we got.  

Except the announcement of the announcement was calculated to generate expectation, excitement and froth.  To then deliver a tumbleweed moment deserves the ridicule it is getting.  They would have got a more positive response, or at least a less negative one, had they just sprung it on people at the show.

It's not even general release, it is a Collector's Club edition.  Hornby will be getting a reputation as the company that loves to disappoint at this rate.

• Agree 7

5 minutes ago, Pmorgancym said:

It's either epic trolling

A known marketing ploy.

6 minutes ago, Pmorgancym said:

they're trawling through the post for good ideas.....

They'll not have done very well then as most suggestions have received a unanimous thumbs down.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

I’d actually put it another way, it puts out the raging inferno started by the usual suspects on this thread bashing Hornby on an announcement not yet made but jumping to all sorts of conclusions…………

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Except the announcement of the announcement was calculated to generate expectation, excitement and froth.  To then deliver a tumbleweed moment deserves the ridicule it is getting.  They would have got a more positive response, or at least a less negative one, had they just sprung it on people at the show.

It's not even general release, it is a Collector's Club edition.  Hornby will be getting a reputation as the company that loves to disappoint at this rate.

Why would they not tell all that an announcement was going to be made, for heavens sake give it a bloody rest!

• Agree 2

Hardly 'Hold the front page' stuff was it, but the price is keen enough for what I assume is a relatively well-regarded OO-gauge Pacific.  A nice counterpart for the purple 'platti-jubes' '70' will no doubt do well at this price point.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Just now, jonnyuk said:

Why would they not tell all that an announcement was going to be made, for heavens sake give it a bloody rest!

No I won't.

My frustration with Hornby is based on their poor attitude to those who prefer to model non-steam outline, or for whom steam is a minority interest, plus their constant chopping and changing of their support for their retailers.  Simon Kohler let the cat out of the bag when he spontaneously announced that he thought 2steam has more charisma" in the last product launch video which should have been a chance for them to tackle critics like me who have berated them for being lackadaisical towards the growing non-steam market, having made some serious investment in new and revamped non-steam models.  As a company their first duty is to their shareholders and investors, and targeting the steam collector grey pound has been a sensible move for them, but that market will diminish over time, which is probably why they have taken the brave decision to try and create a whole new market in TT because they know their once quite respectable position with the non-steam market has taken a hit with new "disruptor" companies picking off their range whilst they played out the steam market.

I will continue to criticise Hornby where they deserve it, I'm not alone and if you don't like Hornby to be criticised then I suggest you use the hide function.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

"As the doors open at Warley Model Railway Exhibition on 26th November 2022, visitors to the Hornby stand will be given the chance to experience something special!

If they'd said "new product launch" then this thread would have been different.

Not just a special announcement, they said "chance to experience something special". We all tried to parse the experience word and what was meant by that.

I can't imagine in the world of model trains "any publicity is good publicity". Not how this works. Noone trawls their way through 15 pages of rmwebbers doing what we do best and thinks "I'll just hop on the Hornby website and buy something I hadn't already planned to".

• Like 1

Well the something special is that they've cashing in on a royal occasion. 

...by introducing a class of Ioco that I got in my first train set - and I was born before the coronation of His Majesty's late mother

...and the class is named after the the coronation of his granny and grandpa in 1937.

.image.png.a3ec9d9792ecf99ca37c28b572f843d9.png

Surely it's high time one of the TOCs named one of their Azumas Charlie or at least something in honour of our new monarch.

Edited by Michael Hodgson
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Vistisen said:

Remember DJM King Class, 14xx and 71? Hornby were accused of gazumping then. DJM was proclaimed as the saviour of modelling in 'OO'.

Even at the time it seemed pretty obvious that most DJM models had a 15 minute gestation period before the initial press release went out. So I was never quite convinced who was gazumping who. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

No I won't.

My frustration with Hornby is based on their poor attitude to those who prefer to model non-steam outline, or for whom steam is a minority interest, plus their constant chopping and changing of their support for their retailers.  Simon Kohler let the cat out of the bag when he spontaneously announced that he thought 2steam has more charisma" in the last product launch video which should have been a chance for them to tackle critics like me who have berated them for being lackadaisical towards the growing non-steam market, having made some serious investment in new and revamped non-steam models.  As a company their first duty is to their shareholders and investors, and targeting the steam collector grey pound has been a sensible move for them, but that market will diminish over time, which is probably why they have taken the brave decision to try and create a whole new market in TT because they know their once quite respectable position with the non-steam market has taken a hit with new "disruptor" companies picking off their range whilst they played out the steam market.

I will continue to criticise Hornby where they deserve it, I'm not alone and if you don't like Hornby to be criticised then I suggest you use the hide function.

Thing is Hornby haven't done a new tooled loco/stock announcement at Warley for some time and do all that around Christmas, so why this announcement is such a let down to you and a few others who seem to want to bash/mock/etc Hornby all the time is rather funny. 
Its the same old thing. Hornby announce this, "moan moan moan.. duplication.. bad Hornby.. Blah blah blah". Another manufacturer makes a duplication announcement and everyones happy. It's pathetic.

If you don't like Hornby then just don't buy Hornby.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 3

2 hours ago, Vistisen said:

Remember DJM King Class, 14xx and 71? Hornby were accused of gazumping then. DJM was proclaimed as the saviour of modelling in 'OO'. Hornby at least got all their models made. With hindsight the DJM 14xx was not that well designed on the mechanical side of things. The DJM class71 was swings and roundabouts compared to Hornby's. As for the King... well we'll never know whether it would have been better that the Hornby version.

As far as I can see, it takes about the same amount of time for all manufacturers to produce models. So, if Hornby announce a model just after someone else has, and can get it in the shops a year before. they probably started work on it a year before as well. 

I will concede that the Terrier against RAILS, and the many 66 liveries on an old moulding against Hattons class 66 stink of throttling competition. Not Hornby’s finest moment, As for the Titfield farce, there is no excuse for that.

Thing is, and it been said a lot, No one really knows who has done,doing what first. What can be said is its always Hornby that get accused of gazumping!

• Agree 4