Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Pronunciation of railway associated words.

Ohmisterporter

• 10 months later...

A while back I mentioned Claughton brickworks in this topic. Sadly it is now due to close because of falling demand for bricks in the building industry. Not the first time this has happened; let us hope that there will be another revival and it can open once more.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ohmisterporter said:

A while back I mentioned Claughton brickworks in this topic. Sadly it is now due to close because of falling demand for bricks in the building industry. Not the first time this has happened; let us hope that there will be another revival and it can open once more.

Crazy considering how much building is going on these days - but of course very little of it is brick, with modern houses just getting a single layer of brick cladding on the outside...

• Agree 3

On 11/12/2022 at 23:22, Andy Kirkham said:

I never know whether John Ahern's surname is pronouced "AY - hurn" or "uh-HURN" (or some other fashion)

Six decades ago when his name was sometimes mentioned by those who actually knew him, they always said "A-hern" with a soft A but neither syllable emphasised.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, bécasse said:

Six decades ago when his name was sometimes mentioned by those who actually knew him, they always said "A-hern" with a soft A but neither syllable emphasised.

That's how I've always pronounced it, despite not having the privilege of having spoken to those who knew him - or at least, not knowingly. I first visited Pendon and saw the Madder Valley around about 1988; I wonder, did they have a voice-over tape on continuous play? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I’m surprised that Marylebone hasn’t been mentioned.  The RP now seems to be “mar-lee-bone”, when for me it has always been “marry-le-bone” (as in “take a trip to Marylebone Station and if you pass Go...”).

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, EddieB said:

I’m surprised that Marylebone hasn’t been mentioned.  The RP now seems to be “mar-lee-bone”, when for me it has always been “marry-le-bone” (as in “take a trip to Marylebone Station and if you pass Go...”).

When I grew up in London it was always MAR-l'-b'n.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

My old man - born 1925, worked on LT from the late 40s, and Mum was born within earshot of Bow Bells in 1934. 

Marylebone was always 'Marry - le - bone' to them.  

Other areas of  London which shall remain nameless - many of which are now altered beyond recognition, often for the better would be unrecognizable to Dad who retired in 1990, died in 95 whose London vernacular language  frequently referred to places as a "s***hole' - as in 'what's x or y like Dad?" - "a s***hole boy".  😉

Best regards

Matt W

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

What about MODEL railway words ? ................ any manufacturer can call their range whatever they like ( within limits ) and pronounce it as they wish - but I have friends who insist in calling a couple of new-ish manufacturers "AccYOUrascale" and "RapEEEdo" which don't sound right to my ears ; I'd accentuate Accurascale and Rapido on the first syllable.

Edited by Wickham Green too

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

What about MODEL railway words ? ................ any manufacturer can call their range whatever they like ( within limits ) and pronounce it as the wish - but I have friends who insist in calling a couple of new-ish manufacturers "AccYOUrascale" and "RapEEEdo" which don't sound right to my ears ; I'd accentuate Accurascale and Rapido on the first syllable.

They've focused on the wrong scale to be

Rapid-O.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

I think this is a modern problem, it’s all to easy now for someone to lay down the law and say this is how a word should be pronounced. Traditionally English has been a living language and words and pronunciation have evolved, there are many examples of regional variations. I have never been much good at languages and don’t understand why the composer Bach is called Bark, which is why I have always thought that the model manufacturer was called Barkman. 

• Funny 1

Talking about modern mispronunciations that I find annoying include saw being pronounced with an r instead of w, for no good reason as far as I know. If you see me cutting a piece of wood please do not say, "I sore you soring".  

I blame pirates. 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Talking about modern mispronunciations that I find annoying include saw being pronounced with an r instead of w, for no good reason as far as I know. If you see me cutting a piece of wood please do not say, "I sore you soring".  

Agreed. Another mispronunciation that annoys me and Mrs TinTracks is drawing pronounced as drawring. Every time that McCloud bloke off Grand Designs or Paul off Flog It refer to ''drawrings'' I have to restrain her from throwing her metal specs case at the telly. Mind you up here in the frozen north we do tend to miss off the g from the end. ''drawin''

Sorry for possible OT Regards. Rich

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ohmisterporter said:

41 minutes ago, TinTracks said:

Agreed. Another mispronunciation that annoys me and Mrs TinTracks is drawing pronounced as drawring. Every time that McCloud bloke off Grand Designs or Paul off Flog It refer to ''drawrings'' I have to restrain her from throwing her metal specs case at the telly. Mind you up here in the frozen north we do tend to miss off the g from the end. ''drawin''

Sorry for possible OT Regards. Rich

24 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

I always get pirates and pilates mixed-up...

It's nothing new. Intrusive R, as it is called, was first noted in English in the 1700s.

It is a common feature of many accents of  both rhotic and non-rhotic, even Received Pronunciation, despite traditionally being stigmatised.

Maggie Thatcher, for one, used to speak of 'Laura Norder' (Law and Order).

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Welchester said:

Yes. And the first man to fly was called Pontius.

Are you sure? Joseph and Mary flew to Egypt with the baby Jesus (for a winter holiday at Sharm El-Sheikh, perhaps), but Pontius the Pilot didn't appear on the scene till thirty or so years later. I suppose he could have given up flying and decided to enter politics instead.

• Funny 2