Pronunciation of railway associated words.

Ohmisterporter

21 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

'leiter' (the masculine noun version)

As in Felix?  (CIA)

2 hours ago, Ken.W said:
6 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Uff'em

Yeah, that's it

"They don't like it..."   (as in Corporal Jones).

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

Regular readers of DaveF’s photo thread may well have got that as he regularly posts pictures of Ulgham and has explained how to pronounce it.

Indeed he has - but late first wife Deb's paternal forebears were from north of the Tyne, and Great Aunt Doris had been skoolma'am on Lindisfarne in the '30s. I was conducted around much of the lovely countryside on visits. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, br2975 said:

He probably was - as it is pronounced locally, by all and sundry, as  "Roo-biner"

Ah! the location of the model of  Danemouth and its owner.

40+ years ago I remember my boss, an Englishman dicating a letter to somebody in Ribena - it did cause some amusement in the typing pool - that's something else thats disappeared.

A certain pachyderm also spent his childhood in the area before starting his world tour. I did not know him at that time, a lucky escape 😀😀😀

Dave

Edited by Danemouth
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Funny 3

On 24/11/2022 at 07:59, Ohmisterporter said:

In Cumbria there is a small village named Faugh. I visited the place once and was firmly told off by a local when I pronounced the name wrong. Never went back.

12 hours ago, Ohmisterporter said:

I pronounced it Faw and was told it is pronounced Faff. 

That’s a laff! 😄

Edited by pH

15 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

All and sundry except my mate Jeff, then!

So it seems.

Albeit, I suspect the correct, Welsh pronunciation should be "Roo-beena" as opposed to "Roo-biner"

But, there are any number of (predominantly in South Wales) Welsh place names that are b@str@rdised by the locals

e.g.

Beddau (twixt Llantrisant & Pontypridd) the literal translation of which is 'graves'

Correctly pronounced it would be "beth-aye" but locally it is "bather"

Similarly, Penycoedcae near Pontypridd

Correctly pronounced "pen-err-coyd-kai" but pronounced locally as "pen-coy-ker"

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/11/2022 at 00:24, DavidB-AU said:

Shall we extend to non-English words? My all time favourite railway associated word is Eisenbahnknotenpunkthinundherschieber - literally "railway node point back and forth pusher" or what Americans would call a switchman.

However that isn't any of the correct German terms (there are 4 different words used depending on context and none of them contain the word eisenbahn).

On 24/11/2022 at 08:09, Michael Hodgson said:

The traditional pronunciation of Cirencester seems to have gone out even among the locals

Wait... is it *actually* pronounced "sister"? I thought I was just taking the mick when I told some friends that's how it's said...

Frome on the other hand I know how to say correctly, as there was a street by that name near where I went to secondary school.

4 minutes ago, britishcolumbian said:

Wait... is it *actually* pronounced "sister"? I thought I was just taking the mick when I told some friends that's how it's said...

Frome on the other hand I know how to say correctly, as there was a street by that name near where I went to secondary school.

The old version was more like Sissiter :

There was a young lady of Cirencester
Whose fiancé went down to virencester
By the Great Western line,
Which he swore was divine,
And he couldn't have been much explirencester.

• Round of applause 3

On 25/11/2022 at 09:40, pH said:

When it was first introduced, all the automated announcements for the Skytrain (automated transit) system here were done by a secretary from the project office. She did the recordings one afternoon, apparently having been given a couple of brandies at lunch time to settle any nerves.

I remember when Columbia Station was first opened, the recording pronounced it as "Klummbyah" and there would always be one passenger or another commenting on it. It was re-recorded some time later.

On 27/11/2022 at 11:30, Nearholmer said:

Hroth, author of the popular guide for tourists: “How to make friends in Wales”.

"Welsh in a Week" was good fun too!

(1/- from all good bookshops, gift shops, etc)

• Like 1

Hope this isn’t too far off topic but sat nav pronunciation of place names beats any human name mangling hands down. I travelled to Stoke on Trent several times, this was pronounced something like Stoosh un trennnnd. Having now move to Wales the sat nav seems to have admitted defeat and mostly just says turn left or turn right. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

There's a couple of famous Belgians whose names I have no idea if I am pronouncing correctly:

Alfred Belpaire - "bell-pear";

Egide Walschaerts - "waal-shirts".

(I won't even attempt Egide!)

And of course that famous son of Sydenham:

Alfred de Glehn - "dee glen".

• Like 1

On 24/11/2022 at 16:21, Wheatley said:

I've probably told this before. Barnsley booking office, late 80s:

"Single to Machynlleth please" (in thick Welsh accent)

"Wheer ?"(ditto, Barnsley)

"Machynlleth"

"Nivver erd on it. Ahs tha spell it ?"

"M.ac.h.y.n.l.l.e.t.h"

"Tha means Mackley Hinn Lith"

"It's pronounced Machynlleth"

"Norrin Barnsley it int"

I was on an all-line rover back in 1971, travelling on the overnight train from York to Aberystwyth. I asked the guard to wake me at Mach so I could change there and travel up the Cambrian Coast line. Obviouly he didn't understand my pronounciation, as I woke up at Borth. Eventually managed to travel by train to Pwllheli some 40 years later...

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hibelroad said:

Hope this isn’t too far off topic but sat nav pronunciation of place names beats any human name mangling hands down. I travelled to Stoke on Trent several times, this was pronounced something like Stoosh un trennnnd. Having now move to Wales the sat nav seems to have admitted defeat and mostly just says turn left or turn right. 

And Reading - frequently pronounced by satnavs as re-ding (the verb) rather than red-ing (the place)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

There's a couple of famous Belgians whose names I have no idea if I am pronouncing correctly:

Alfred Belpaire - "bell-pear";

Egide Walschaerts - "waal-shirts".

(I won't even attempt Egide!)

And of course that famous son of Sydenham:

Alfred de Glehn - "dee glen".

Shame I didn't see this earlier, I've just had a Belgian mate around (trying to fix a fault on his Harley, but I didn't have a hammer big enough).  As his name is Zwaneapoel or something like that, he'll have smashed those!  To us he's Johan, safer that way.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1