Pronunciation of railway associated words.

Ohmisterporter

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Torpenhow (Cumbria) - but never on a railway.

Let's not forget Aspatria.

There's a tale I heard tell long ago, before I lived in Cumbria, of a porter at Aspatria addressing the passengers of a terminating train.  At the first class compartments, he said "Ha-spay-tri-uh. Please alight here." At the second class compatments he said "Spay-tri-uh all change," and at the third class compartments he said "Spi-at-tri. Get out!"

Actually, the version I heard had "Spatty" rather than "Spiatry", but I think that must be a mistake. I've never heard it called Spatty.

• RMweb Premium

I have a vague memory of a cartoon of the seaside postcard variety in which an attractive young lady asks a station porter,

" Am I alright for Chorleywood? "

To which the porter replies,

"Not'arf miss.    Oi Charlie, there is a lady looking for you "

Odd memories.... 

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Jeremy C said:

Let's not forget Aspatria.

There's a tale I heard tell long ago, before I lived in Cumbria, of a porter at Aspatria addressing the passengers of a terminating train.  At the first class compartments, he said "Ha-spay-tri-uh. Please alight here." At the second class compatments he said "Spay-tri-uh all change," and at the third class compartments he said "Spi-at-tri. Get out!"

Actually, the version I heard had "Spatty" rather than "Spiatry", but I think that must be a mistake. I've never heard it called Spatty.

It was just ass-pay-tree-uh, the few times I heard it whilst living in Keswick. (kess-ick or kes-wick?)

Back down here in the midlands, railway station.

Alcester: All-sester, Al-sester or Allsta?

Cirencester (Siren-sester or Sister, or once I heard sis-sister?)

Warwick: worrick or war-wick?

Off topic

Incidentally Dionne Warwick (War-wick) was originally Warrick pronounced Worrick! until she replaced and r with a w)

In the course of my job I controlled (well, tried to..) telecomms engineers in South West England. One day we had a Scottish sales operative asking if we had an engineer free to do a job at Tones. Tony Who? When he eventually spelled it out we told him it was pronounced Tot-ness. But he was adamant the second T was silent (why?), and as there wasn't a double S at the end it couldn't be pronounced "Tot-neSS". We still did the job, and forever after we all jokingly referred to the Devon town as "Tones"! (Other places acquired 'jokey' names, but "Tones" was our favourite!).

• Like 2

Claughton  = Claw-ton. I know one of Sir Gilbert’s grandsons and that’s how he pronounces it.

”Bulleid rhymes with succeed; Maunsell with cancel.”

That’s according to Bulleid’s son in the biography he wrote in the 1970s and great nephew of the great man who I met.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

If you go to New Orleans in the US, they have a street called Burgundy.  Not said how you would in France but Bur-GUN-dee.  Chartres Street is not as the French would have it but Charters.

…and New Orleans itself?  NewOrlins not New Orle -ans and certainly not Norleens! 

10 hours ago, Ohmisterporter said:

Watching Father Brown yesterday when the principal actor spoke about repairs to the clerestory in his church. I have always pronounced this cle-rest-ory and heard other people doing likewise. Mark Williams pronounced it clear story. So which is correct?

Some years ago, when there were many fewer RMwebbers, we had a debate about the pronunciation of well known railway characters Bulleid and Maunsell. There are no doubt other personalities and equipment terms that mis-pronunciation can be applied to. Anyone have other words in mind?

P.S. Sorry this is a bit of a ramble; I am just getting over a migraine that left me struggling to compose a sentence.

My father was a cabinet maker / joiner and rebuilt several 'clear stories' in older buildings

• Like 1

What about Welsh place names ?

Where there is

(i) The correct Welsh pronunciation

(ii) The 'bastardised' local pronunciation

(iii) The way the poor saes (English) visitors try to pronounce it

I give you a few for starters

Penycoedcae

Ynysybwl

Radyr

Tondu

Gelli Tarw

Gwaun cae gurwen

Pontyclun

Then there's the dodgy one.....Portmadoc

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Hroth said:

Great Meols.

What do you think?  🤔

Meols in north Wirral is pronounced as 'Mells'.  A few miles the other side of the Mersey in Southport, Meols Cop is pronounced as 'Meels Cop'.

Another good one is 'Houghton'. this changes around the country and can be 'Ho-ton', Hor-ton' or How-ton.

David

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Martino said:

…and New Orleans itself?  NewOrlins not New Orle -ans and certainly not Norleens! 

I thought Naw’lins was acceptable, or even NoLa.

• Agree 1

In the Glasgow area:

Milngavie - pronounced Mulguy

Bearsden - pronounced BearsDEN, not BEARSd’n

Govan - pronounced Guv’n, not (as pronounced by an English newsreader on his first night reading the local news) Go-van

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

David Jenkinson in one of his books had a section on terms, origins and correct pronunciation.

10 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

That'll ave been David Jenkinsons view of railway pronunciation, not the railway-mans  view of railway pronunciation.

David Jenkinson never, in my hearing, referred to Oh Gauge (and certainly not to Gauge Oh). It was always Nought Gauge.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, pH said:

In the Glasgow area:

Milngavie - pronounced Mulguy

Bearsden - pronounced BearsDEN, not BEARSd’n

Govan - pronounced Guv’n, not (as pronounced by an English newsreader on his first night reading the local news) Go-van

There was an opencast coal terminal named Ravenstruther near Carstairs. I understand it's pronounced Renstrie.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jeremy C said:

OED has /ˈklɪəstɔːri/ (clear-story)

But Alec Guinness (as Henry d'Ascoigne, the rector) says cle-res-tri in Kind Hearts and Coronets,

Sorry, a bit off-topic, but that character has my favourite line in the film:

"I always say my West window has all the exuberance of Chaucer without, happily, any of the concomitant crudities of his period."

• Like 3
  • Funny 1