GWR cabside etches.

I am currently refurbing a scratch/kit built model of a TVR class 04 loco as amended by GW in post grouping guise i.e. reboilered etc.  (Don't know who built it but it seems to have the side tanks made of ply or balsa!!!) . It certainly seems to have been built by someone with skills way ahead of mine.

I am trying to find OO gauge etched cabsides in the '300' to '320' range.  Any ideas as to who might supply these??

Many thanks  

13 hours ago, CEINEWYDD said:

I am currently refurbing a scratch/kit built model of a TVR class 04 loco as amended by GW in post grouping guise i.e. reboilered etc.  (Don't know who built it but it seems to have the side tanks made of ply or balsa!!!) . It certainly seems to have been built by someone with skills way ahead of mine.

I am trying to find OO gauge etched cabsides in the '300' to '320' range.  Any ideas as to who might supply these??

Many thanks  

Assuming 4mm, the customisable item below may be of interest:

4mm-9085

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=4362

spacer.png

Where applicable I make them un/lined or the earlier style with/out the integrated GWR above the number. Here's an example of how they look in the flesh kindly shared by the talented James Wells. As you might notice, I get the mounting bolts in there too.

spacer.png

Turn-around time on these is currently 2-3 days.

Edited by railtec-models
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

I recently had a couple of orders from Steve and have now used up the wagon transfers!

(can be seen on https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/176-modifying-detailing-rtr-stock/#:~:text=“Stand-off Scale” Wagons)

I Also have a GWR cab side as above but have not tried it yet as a bit puzzled by "fit as waterslide fix with varnish"?

Do I do like normal transfer and varnish over 24 hours later or do it a bit like the old methfix transfers?

• RMweb Gold

Several of my locos have Railtec cabside number plates, and I can recommend them, no interest satisfied customer.  You get a BR smokebox number, BR shedcode plate, lined or unlined as requested, and black or red background as requested, and you don't have to wait very long for them!  They do have a different appearance to etched brass, more like the painted cast iron numberplates of the 1950s used by Caerphilly Works*, but once you tone them down with a weathering wash they look fine.  You apply them like a waterslide transfer despite the fact that they have 'relief', and seal them with, in my case, acrylic matt varnish after leaving them overnight (or 24 hours if you prefer) for the water to dry.  One or two of my smokebox number plates have fallen off if they have been applied directly to the domed smokebox of a BR repainted GW period model, and I have solved this by adding a little pva to the water when applying them.  Of course, if you are renumbering a BR period model, there is already a moulded plate backing there and the transfer goes on that, but if it has to go straight on to the smokebox itself you are dealing with a point contact which needs all the help it can get!

*Caerphilly also turned out some locos with painted numbers in the GW numberplate style, including the rim, in yellow paint, as an economy measure, in the mid-50s, reality reflecting and foretelling RTR practice!  57xx, 8750, and 56xx were involved.  You can tell a Caerphilly loco by it's red painted revesing rod.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1