Method of carriage of tinplate (coil?) in Shocvans and after, especially to canning factories.

C126

Reference the side-door less 12t vans. This isn't my picture but I've had it a long time taken from another forgotten thread when I "bodgebuilt" a couple of these vehicles using 12t spare van bodies. ISTR they were the only photos anyone could offer at the time of these rare birds. Typically the lead van is showing the "wrong" end - like every photo of Class 302 EMU 244 always showed the ex-Bury trailer !!

post-24330-0-87255500-1445533403[1].jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

As an aside, the Bachmann shocvans with the Carlisle lettering need the underframe swapping to LNER style.

Mike.

Agreed - not least of which is that it is a terrible underframe moulding in the first place especially some of the older versions 🙄

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

As an aside, but pertinent to the thread- what year did coil traffic transfer from ShocVans to air braked vans? Was it a gradual change, with certain larger customers moving to air braked workings before the 'high days and holidays' customers? Or did BR just pull anything labelled VSV out and transferred the lot to air-braked stock in one fell swoop?

Thanks

Disgusting of Market Harborough

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 26/12/2022 at 13:20, Enterprisingwestern said:

I'm not a home with the reference material at the minute, but from memory, dangerous I know, I didn't think they said empty.

I'm only going on pictures I've found of shocvans with Carrs labels on them, so dangerously putting 2 and 2 together!

As an aside, the Bachmann shocvans with the Carlisle lettering need the underframe swapping to LNER style.

Mike.

On 26/12/2022 at 16:07, Southernman46 said:

Agreed - not least of which is that it is a terrible underframe moulding in the first place especially some of the older versions 🙄

Ironically, I bought a Bachmann shocvan from my LHS today.  37 905  "12T shock absorbing van planked ends BR Bauxite (late) 

On the way home I glanced at the label and thought ", it is one of the WR ones"  but no. Got home and uiboxed it to find the familiar LMS / BR pressed steel ends. It has boxed detail SHOCVAN VANFIT and carriesd B852372. 

It will be fine as a layout vehicle for me.  

• Informative/Useful 1