Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

New run of JJA Auto Ballasters in Network Rail rebranded livery!! (RofS Exclusive)

John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

Just seen these announced as part of Rails of Sheffield's Day 18 of their Advent Calendar:

https://railsofsheffield.com/collections/network-rail-jja-auto-ballasters?_kx=okhsnj6pSeieMrMHTNf7qmCFfLqr92JPfqZERw2v9Dw%3D.RXkVMS&utm_medium=campaign&utm_source=Klaviyo

Look good and not too bad a price considering the earlier releases are like rocking horse droppings now.  Just wish they had given more notice of them coming though.

Limited run of them and exclusive to RofS but I wonder if that suggests more in other colours are on a boat somewhere yet to be announced?

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing the link @John M Upton

Great idea by Rails, and the price isn't ridiculous, when you think other modern wagons now are 40 - 45 RRP and these are weathered and exclusive. I'm very tempted to a set of 5.

Still trying to be sensible on trainee money, but do I dip into my savings or hope they remain in stock to the spring when I should pass out... hmm decisions!

Jo

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, jpendle said:

What's a prototypical rake look like?

I already have a couple of the Railtrack ones too.

Regards,

John P

They run in sets of five, one generator fitted wagon at one end with four ordinary ones following, sometimes can be seen just as a single five wagon set or multiples thereof.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

They run in sets of five, one generator fitted wagon at one end with four ordinary ones following, sometimes can be seen just as a single five wagon set or multiples thereof.

Thanks, I think a mixed rake with the Railtrack wagons heavily weathered is on the cards.

Did Network Rail bother painting over the Railtrack logos, or did they just wait for a complete repaint?

John P

@jpendle, these wagons are the Railtrack livery ones that Farish did previously, but with a mechanical overhaul, a new generator and the blue stripes overpainted yellow. There would have been a period around 2016 that both liveries were seen side by side. Note that the non yellow bits haven't been repainted and are a mix of grubby beige and rust.

Whilst liveries can mixed, it would be a 5 set of one livery and 5 of another, you wouldn't have part sets in different liveries because they went off to York (I think from memory) as 5 wagon sets and had the work done there as a set.

Note this only applies to the JJA autoballaster converted from KPA hoppers.

JJAs the generator can be anywhere in the 5 wagon set, HQA have the generator at one end, always at the outer end of the wagon.

The HQA type are new builds and feature different bogies and buckeye couplings within the set (amongst other differences) and can be modelled from the NGS kits (as well as JJA and KPA versions). The HQAs carry debranded Railtrack, NR all over yellow and Metronet all over yellow.

I've dipped into the savings and Mrs Wife has contributed for Christmas too so have ordered 3 round top, one genny and one flat top based on this photo i took in the VQ at Westbury to make up my five. 

66522 Westbury Virtual Quarry

Any other questions about autos fire away, I've spent enough time around the things the last few years!

Jo

• Like 1

A second post to add, that you don't necessarily need 5.

The Track Renewal Train (TRT) runs with two or three, for reballasting the relaid track. These are always JJA to ensure they have buffers both ends, and get tripped from Taunton to Westbury as a pair for reloading. Always a generator plus extras. There will be a 5 set at Taunton, and some days they rotate the empty with the generator, if the generator wasn't emptied for example so can go back out without topping up.

Pic from Flickr of the Toton based setup, but exactly the same setup.

66511 tnt 66556

Pic from Flickr 6C73 Westbury- Taunton after topping up, with some Dapol type Falcon.

G-19144 66559 6C73 @ Masters Crossing

Jo

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

30 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

Whilst liveries can mixed, it would be a 5 set of one livery and 5 of another, you wouldn't have part sets in different liveries because they went off to York (I think from memory) as 5 wagon sets and had the work done there as a set.

I was worried that someone might say that.

Being in the US, my Christmas and Birthday presents have already been ordered & delivered.

Now there's these and the Farish CL90's due in the shops this coming week. 

There being too many new models that I would like is a nice dilemma to have though.

Thanks,

John P

It's me again.

So if the only livery difference is the yellow body side then I think that might be within my limited skills to repaint the two that I already have.

Alternatively persuade someone to produce some vinyl overlays or whole bodyside transfers.

It might be my imagination but in that photo of 6C73 it looks like the JJA's have a bit of blue still showing, top and bottom of the yellow.

Regards,

John P

9 minutes ago, jpendle said:

It might be my imagination but in that photo of 6C73 it looks like the JJA's have a bit of blue still showing, top and bottom of the yellow

Some have the blue, some don't. Generally varies by set, but I have seen a blue striper in a set with 4 non blue stripe wagons. I guess it depends who painted them.

Jo

• RMweb Premium

My first thought when I saw these was ‘nice, that’s a pleasant and unexpected surprise’…. my immediate second thought was ‘but why in God’s name did they have to select factory weathering’….

But actually, I think it is more nuanced than this…. as @Steadfast describes it; it was only the yellow bodyside panel that was freshly painted, over a rusty patina of the previous paintwork…. so I think perhaps these might be better referred to as being “non-pristine”, but based on what i see on Flickr they do nicely capture how the real things first appeared once the yellow panel was applied.

As I say, very welcome, but quite a brave move….! I don’t believe that RoS would have single-handedly bank-rolled the necessary MOQ for a full production run - they might have been able to negotiate as few as a couple hundred of each of genny, round-top, flat-top in the selected livery, but I would also strongly suspect that there will be more (in some livery or another) announced with the next Bachmann quarterly announcement…. I always quite liked the Carillion branding - I wonder if we see those from Bachmann themselves, or more likely a re-run of the Railtrack livery.

As an aside, I seem to recall that this was one of the models that Bachmann said would always be too expensive to produce again in the future…. apparently not true, although £60 a wagon is a lot - makes me wince, but I think I’ll have to bite - I already have x2 five-wagon sets, but always wanted more…. and in the more recent livery…. I guess wife and baby won’t be getting much for Christmas this year 🤣 !!!

• RMweb Gold

They are rather nice.  I don't normally go for weathered items but as has been said, this is more akin to how they were when the Network Rail yellow stripe was added.  I did order 5 but unfortunately RoS sent 2 generator wagons by mistake so one has gone back for a replacement non-generator to make up the rake.

20221220_172947.jpg

20221220_173000.jpg

20221220_173012.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I hope Bachmann are considering adapting the tooling to produce the original Tiphook KPA bogie aggregate wagons from which these were converted. It doesn’t look like there would be too much to do to, tooling-wise. And it would be something interesting to hook on the back of a pair of 33s or 37s, or a 56, 59 or 60…

Edited by The Pilotman

4 hours ago, The Pilotman said:

I hope Bachmann are considering adapting the tooling to produce the original Tiphook KPA bogie aggregate wagons from which these were converted. It doesn’t look like there would be too much to do to, tooling-wise. And it would be something interesting to hook on the back of a pair of 33s or 37s, or a 56, 59 or 60…

... and very smart they were to. https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ferrytiphookaggregate

Paul

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...