Yellow Ends

sb67

I'm going to start painting my class 31 in br blue with full yellow ends. I will paint the yellow first and was wondering if I should mask them off or leave any masking until they're done and I put the blue on?  hope that makes sense.

Many thanks. 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

1. White primer

2. Spray yellow ends

3. Leave 24+ hours

4. Mask off yellow ends

5. Spray blue

Agree but with the following modification:

1. White primer

2. Spray yellow ends

3. Leave 24+ hours

4. Mask off yellow ends

4a. spray yellow again. The yellow will seek out any gaps in the masking and creep though. This will seal up the gaps and when you do the next stage, prevent (or minimise) the blue bleeding.

5. Spray blue.  Remove masking immediately after spraying.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

If spraying or brushing paint it is important that the masking is removed as soon as possible. The main reasons are that any leakage can be dealt with while the paint is still wet, and it prevents a hard ridge forming at the edge of the masking tape. Also paint that is allowed to dry before removing the masking risks being lifted off with the tape.

Ian R

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

After just recently attempting my own resprays I've found it easier (for me anyway) to prime (trying to avoid the ends as much as possible) , blue bodysides/roof (again avoiding the ends as much as possible) then once dry mask off the ends , prime white then the yellow 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

A slight variation:

1. White primer

2. Spray yellow ends with Humbrol 24

3. Leave 24+ hours

4. Spray yellow ends with chosen shade of warning panel yellow

5. Mask off yellow ends

6. Spray blue

I normally use Phoenix enamels (after attempting to open a Railmatch jar for the third or time and breaking the neck off the bottle as the cap was firmly painted in place!). Their yellow doesn't cover at all well - using the Humbrol as an undercoat gives a decent colour density whilst the Phoenix coat gets the correct shade. That said, once weathered Humbrol 24's good enough on its own.

Steven B.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I use white primer as the base coat and have found Halfords Vauxhall Mustard Yellow to be a good representation of warning yellow.  Just short bursts from the can to avoid applying too much paint.

Cheers

Darius

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1