Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Formula 1 2023

didcot

• RMweb Gold

It's the off-season, and some F1 magazine has published allegations that Mr & Mrs Wolff exchange pillow-talk about their respective jobs. Shock horror. In this case, it is suggested Suzie told Toto stuff she didn't oughter, about the F1 Academy female-racer series she now manages for FOM, and he passed it on to other F1 luminaries. 

Since, as we know, the FIA always follows up everything, and never allows anything to be buried, they started an enquiry. Whereupon all 9 other F1 teams denied any concerns over the Wolffs' professionalism. Even Horner has said he has no concerns and will be looking to enter more than one car in Suzie's series. 

Then suddenly, on the eve of the annual FIA end-of-season glitter-fest, the enquiry is dropped, with no FIA personnel having as much as contacted Suzie. Legal action, presumably claiming defamation, is under way, says Toto.

The FIA really so needs to get more egg on its face these days....

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

Also, in the wake of all this, FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem was unwell and had to drastically scale back his appearances at the FIA’s annual prizegiving in Baku. Nothing whatsoever to do with his apparently personal dislike of Toto, and his frequent attacks on him, of course.

Speaking of Baku, Lewis has been very critical of the Paris-based FIA’s decision to hold their prizegiving there this year, forcing all the teams and drivers (almost all of which/whom are based in western Europe) to fly there as their attendance is mandatory.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 minutes ago, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem was unwell

Drunk again at the prize giving was he!

My eldest tells me Lewis also left his third place trophy behind in protest over the F1/FIA Wolff debacle. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

Also, in the wake of all this, FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem was unwell and had to drastically scale back his appearances at the FIA’s annual prizegiving in Baku. Nothing whatsoever to do with his apparently personal dislike of Toto, and his frequent attacks on him, of course.

Speaking of Baku, Lewis has been very critical of the Paris-based FIA’s decision to hold their prizegiving there this year, forcing all the teams and drivers (almost all of which/whom are based in western Europe) to fly there as their attendance is mandatory.

It gets better - the 2024 event is slated to be in Kigali, Rwanda.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, SteveM666 said:

It gets better - the 2024 event is slated to be in Kigali, Rwanda.

I thought this was some sort of govt policy related joke when I first read the post, then I saw it's actually true! Words fail me.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, 57xx said:

I thought this was some sort of govt policy related joke when I first read the post, then I saw it's actually true! Words fail me.

The FIA has delegates from around the world. No doubt there is a certain amount of competing, especially among emerging nations anxious to enhance their standing, to put on the annual beano. Large sums of money paid by the UK government will go some way towards ensuring the FIA is feted as it would wish....

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, EddieB said:

So that’s the reward for Azerbaijan ethnically cleansing the Armenian enclave of Nagarno-Karabakh?

Given that the present FIA President comes from a part of the world where human rights don't exist, very probably. 

• Agree 3

19 hours ago, 57xx said:

The word you are looking for is.......sportswashing.

See also Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, China, Russia, Azabaijan, UAE - its a long list.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, SteveM666 said:

The word you are looking for is.......sportswashing.

See also Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, China, Russia, Azabaijan, UAE - its a long list.

I know all the countries where Bernie turned a blind eye to human rights abuses in favour of the mighty $$ lining his pocket, but I don't recall the last time Rwanda hosted an F1 race.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, 57xx said:

I know all the countries where Bernie turned a blind eye to human rights abuses in favour of the mighty $$ lining his pocket, but I don't recall the last time Rwanda hosted an F1 race.

Perhaps they're hoping to be in the running for one in a future enlargement phase?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 57xx said:

President Paul Kagame (the one that got 98.5% of votes in the last election) was negotiating with Stefan Domenicali for Kigali to be a future venue as recently as October 2022.

The FIA is the governing body for world motor sports, not just F1.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 10/12/2023 at 10:54, Oldddudders said:

It's the off-season, and some F1 magazine has published allegations that Mr & Mrs Wolff exchange pillow-talk about their respective jobs. Shock horror. In this case, it is suggested Suzie told Toto stuff she didn't oughter, about the F1 Academy female-racer series she now manages for FOM, and he passed it on to other F1 luminaries. 

Since, as we know, the FIA always follows up everything, and never allows anything to be buried, they started an enquiry. Whereupon all 9 other F1 teams denied any concerns over the Wolffs' professionalism. Even Horner has said he has no concerns and will be looking to enter more than one car in Suzie's series. 

Then suddenly, on the eve of the annual FIA end-of-season glitter-fest, the enquiry is dropped, with no FIA personnel having as much as contacted Suzie. Legal action, presumably claiming defamation, is under way, says Toto.

The FIA really so needs to get more egg on its face these days....

What we are seeing is the media exposing themselves.

They normally ask weird questions intended to get unwanted quotes from drivers/teams so they can cut half the words to twist the meaning of whatever the interviewee said.
Now they have no interviews to work with, they have to stoop lower & print complete lies.

A suspicion from somebody gets published, splatted on social media & many seem to believe it. The more it gets repeated, the more will believe it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

13 minutes ago, OnTheBranchline said:

I’m going to boldly predict another street track.

Sigh…

Having experienced a few street shows in Africa a rally event may be more appropriate -Safari Rally not Dakar.

After a holiday in East Africa, my dad asked “which side of the road do they drive on?” The answer was a mix of “any bl@@dy side they like and the one with fewest potholes”.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

What we are seeing is the media exposing themselves.

They normally ask weird questions intended to get unwanted quotes from drivers/teams so they can cut half the words to twist the meaning of whatever the interviewee said.
Now they have no interviews to work with, they have to stoop lower & print complete lies.

A suspicion from somebody gets published, splatted on social media & many seem to believe it. The more it gets repeated, the more will believe it.

In this case it hath been hypothesised that the organ responsible is bankrolled by a man, unsuccessful in his brief stint managing an F1 team - and no great shakes when previously managing a WEC team, either - who hates Toto, but that actually the target is neither of the Wolffs but the FIA President. In that, by making clowns of the FIA, he would seem to have succeeded. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, OnTheBranchline said:

I’m going to boldly predict another street track.

Sigh…

Been a while since Kyalami last hosted a Grand Prix, would it be possible to change it to current standards?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1