B17 2.png

B17 3.png

DCC Ready 21 pin socket

Minimum Curve (mm) Radius 2

Motor 5 Pole Skew wound

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2

So perhaps we should abandon the idea that a loco with a large number of members of the class, a wide geographic range, a wide variety of liveries and long lived, make good models for mass production. 

Number in the class - 2

Area of operation - London to East Anglia

Length of service in this form - 1951 when both were converted to B17/6 and the stream lining removed.

So the smaller the number built, the smaller the area of operation and the shorter the length of service is what is going to determine the models Hornby will make!

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

3 minutes ago, rovex said:

Number in the class - 2

Length of service in this form - 1951 when both were converted to B17/6 and the stream lining removed.

So the smaller the number built, the smaller the area of operation and the shorter the length of service is what is going to determine the models Hornby will make!

It leaves it open no doubt for Hornby to make them in numerous 'fictional' liveries 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

The only thing from this morning that I am likely to buy :) City of London for me please :) I don’t like the valances - for me all of the streamlined locos looked a hundred times better without them

Edited by Edge
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, rovex said:

So perhaps we should abandon the idea that a loco with a large number of members of the class, a wide geographic range, a wide variety of liveries and long lived, make good models for mass production. 

Number in the class - 2

Not a new business model :D Hornby have had the GWR 101 Class in their range since the 70s. Only one was built and it never left Swindon.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

The B17/5 is welcome news for GE fans. However, I note the CAD shows the loco without side skirting while the photo shows it in pre-war condition. The Hornby site suggests both 2859 in pre-war and 61670 in BR condition are to be released. The CAD is an unfortunate hybrid since 61670 retained the curve behind the cylinders and the CAD omits this.

There is also a potential livery error looming with respect to the BR version if this is presented in ‘apple green’. Here is what the RCTS volume says about it:

Only one of the streamlined engines, No.61659, received L.N.E.R. green with “BRITISH RAILWAYS” in full. No. 61670 was never repainted green while still streamlined and continued to run in unlined black, but since August 1948 with “BRITISH RAILWAYS” on the tender.

I share this in the hope it is helpful to the manufacturer who might shift a few more units among those seeking accuracy.

Edited by Tramshed
correction
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 minute ago, Matty P said:

Hornbys website is saying Winter 24' 25' for their release, yet it says Dec 23' here. Something known here which Hornby doesn't?..

Or Hornby have changed the dates since the media reveal and not passed the info on?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Hroth said:

It's GE section favouritism all over again!  You mark my words, next year Hornby will produce an E4!

I wish. All I've wanted from Hornby for the past few years is a Claud in BR Green, still yet to get that 🤣

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Definitely unexpected, quite a brave choice but I could well be tempted! GE area modellers have been spoilt by Hornby over the years.

These of course were built to run with the dedicated carriage sets built for the East Anglian. I seriously doubt we'll ever see those RTR, but a quick Google reveals a few photos of these two locomotives on secondary services, particularly towards the end of their lives as streamliners. 61659 seems to have lost its parabolic curve when repainted in green after WW2, and 61670 stayed "black" (looks more like a thick coat of grime to me!) until the very end. Plenty of livery pitfalls for the unwary.

Did the B17/5s ever make it off the GE and appear on the GC section? What's the furthest north they got?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

All the best to Hornby for this announcement.

The B17/5 was a new entry in The 00 Wishlist Poll 2022 and came in High Polling.

We previously listed it in The Quirky Poll 2021 where it was the top-voted item.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

Edited by BMacdermott
Remove errant bold character
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 1

Both got de streamlined at Gorton, there's pics in  Dave Gosling's excellent 'Gorton Tank'.....

If you need an excuse for one heading 'somewhere north', I guess both worked to Gorton over Woodhead for that.

Must admit I quite fancy one....

• Like 2