Hornby 2023 - New tooling - Streamlined B17/5

AY Mod

17 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

All the best to Hornby for this announcement.

The B17/5 was a new entry in The 00 Wishlist Poll 2022 and came in High Polling.

We previously listed it in The Quirky Poll 2021 where it was the top-voted item.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

I voted for it in both, so it's partially my fault....  🤪

• Funny 4

1 hour ago, Tramshed said:

Only one of the streamlined engines, No.61659, received L.N.E.R. green with “BRITISH RAILWAYS” in full.

It's also interesting to note that No.61659 carried a full black front, like the abandoned style carried by some of the first LNER green A4s back in the day.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Unexpected, but handy for the Cambridge Buffet Express, I have a picture somewhere of City of London at Kings Cross next to an A4.

manna

If it's the same photo I've seen, it's one of purple A4's as well, to add to the quirkiness of the pairing!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Jammy2305 said:

If it's the same photo I've seen, it's one of purple A4's as well, to add to the quirkiness of the pairing!

Mines in Black and white, I'll keep looking.

manna

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

I didn't spot this coming but really should have.

As the only LNER Streamliner left to do, it had to happen.

A pal of mine would have loved it had he still been around... 

John

Wonderful! As the last streamliner, I’ve wanted it for a couple of decades at least.

Sad about your pal.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Will be interesting to see which liveries they settle on. The list which came out prematurely in Hornby Mag had two green versions, East Anglian pre-war LNER and City of London post-war BR. As the latter would be wrong - it remained black - they might want to think about swapping them over, then they could be apple green in LNER and BR guise.  I’d prefer a black one myself, ugly as it was it certainly looked different.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jammy2305 said:

It's also interesting to note that No.61659 carried a full black front, like the abandoned style carried by some of the first LNER green A4s back in the day.

That never suited them IMO - the curved black front, as on the original green Osprey, was much nicer.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, rogerzilla said:

That never suited them IMO - the curved black front, as on the original green Osprey, was much nicer.

If I recall - it's because they weren't sure how long the green would last in the much higher temperature at that point. Glad they found it was OK as it looks ghastly!

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, HonestTom said:

Not really surprised, I think it's basically the last gap in Hornby's LNER streamliner line-up. I could be tempted, as a fan of the GE.

Maybe they could now turn to the GWR streamliners?😆

Note to Hornby - please don't,

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

Hopefully we might get some 52'6 teaks to go with them? I remember building a resin bodied cooper craft kit and they really stand out as mini gresley coaches. Although I'm still waiting on Hornby doing the EV stock 🤔

Edited by shunny
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

46 minutes ago, Downer said:

Will be interesting to see which liveries they settle on. The list which came out prematurely in Hornby Mag had two green versions, East Anglian pre-war LNER and City of London post-war BR. As the latter would be wrong - it remained black - they might want to think about swapping them over, then they could be apple green in LNER and BR guise.  I’d prefer a black one myself, ugly as it was it certainly looked different.

the switch already appears to have been made according to Kernow’s website - East Anglian is now the BR condition loco

6E5A7B57-DD9F-410A-A0E1-41A5FC9A9FCF.png

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Maybe they could now turn to the GWR streamliners?😆

Note to Hornby - please don't,

To be fair, I actually think those would sell a few. I know people who are fans of them. Not my cup of tea, but nor was the W4 and that did alright.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Edge said:

the switch already appears to have been made according to Kernow’s website - East Anglian is now the BR condition loco

6E5A7B57-DD9F-410A-A0E1-41A5FC9A9FCF.png

Guess I’ll have to wait for the black one. Maybe reinstate my order for the Caprotti, should I live that long.😏

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, shunny said:

Hopefully we might get some 52'6 teaks to go with them? I remember building a resin bodied cooper craft kit and they really stand out as mini gresley coaches. Although I'm still waiting on Hornby doing the EV stock 🤔

The East Anglian stock was the standard 61'6" 😉

Although having invested heavily in 52'6" kits it's only a matter of time!

6 minutes ago, Downer said:

Guess I’ll have to wait for the black one. Maybe reinstate my order for the Caprotti, should I live that long.😏

the listing doesn’t actually say that it’s in BR Green - you might get lucky :)

9 minutes ago, Jammy2305 said:

Hornby themselves, however, have yet to catch up! 

there does appear to be a bit of confusion just now. I definitely want a BR non-valanced  version, so may need to change about once things are finally ironed out :) 

• RMweb Gold

It's an interesting choice and definitely something if a curve ball.  That alone will, I think, lead to pretty good sales.  But I sincerely hope that good sales won't tempt them into the Year 2 trap and lead to yet more B17s crowding the warehouse shelves (until they are sold off cheap to make room for something else as appears t have happened in 2022).

• Like 1