RMweb

Hornby 2023 - New tooling - Streamlined B17/5

AY Mod

1 hour ago, locoholic said:

I would love a RTR B2, being a one-time resident of Framlingham, but I suspect the problem is the tenders - second-hand ones from various classes of scrapped engines - expensive to tool for an obscure and uncharismatic class. Having said that, I suspect Royal Sovereign in apple green would sell well.

It might be a rush to get a purple or gold one (1,500 limited edition - 2,500 if they sell out) out in time for the Coronation.  Mind you, the purple WC was vapourware at the time it was announced - just need a few CAD drawings!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

I’ll probably get shot for this since I’m a GWR man, but the B1 and B2 look exactly the same to me. Was there a difference?

A bit like GWR engines🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

8 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

I’ll probably get shot for this since I’m a GWR man, but the B1 and B2 look exactly the same to me. Was there a difference?

The B2 had larger diameter driving wheels. Think Hall and Saint if it helps 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Gilwell Park said:

If Hornby were to produce one of these in BR dark green & with the A4 style sweeping curve on the smokebox I would probably get one, otherwise no thanks. Rule 1 applies.

unlikely, as neither of the locos ever carried that type of livery. By all accounts BR had them in black and apple green with a straight black line around the smokebox for a brief period. They were then rebuilt into B17/6 locos with no streamlining at all

On 10/01/2023 at 07:10, rovex said:

So the smaller the number built, the smaller the area of operation and the shorter the length of service is what is going to determine the models Hornby will make!

so by that logic, i should be expecting Hornby to announce some C9s in the 2024 range

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 22/01/2023 at 13:24, Gilwell Park said:

The W1 was never named, but Hornby gave it one.

But it very nearly was and could have been, twice - which gives naming credibility.  On a sliding scale of say 0 = fitting it with Warp Nassles, say 3 = paint it crimson lake (wouldn't it look nice?), 10 = build a full size replica in Darlington, i'd put naming it about 6.  Compared to the amount of flight of fantasies of having a W1 on a typical model railway: never went, never pulled, never stood next too, never would get round such and such a radius etc, naming is fine and completely, utterly unscoffable.

EDIT.  Completely lost myself there.  B17/5: yeah paint it BR green.  Would look great.  However, obviously would be automatically wrong as LNER apple green(s) is are the best and the only green(s) suitable for locomotives.  All other greens are piffle.

EDIT EDIT: apple deleted (other greens available):  See posts below by @Pint of Adnams re grass green not apple green. I did not know this, so thank you!

Edited by palmsticks
Even more correct(ions)
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, palmsticks said:

LNER apple green is the best and only green suitable for locomotives.  All other greens are piffle.

There are other greens?  Surely, must be a mistake! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Getting back to the B17/5, can we assume that the side valances (as shown on the Engine Shed mock-up) will be on the LNER version and off the BR one. I’m not sure when these were removed. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Downer said:

Getting back to the B17/5, can we assume that the side valances (as shown on the Engine Shed mock-up) will be on the LNER version and off the BR one. I’m not sure when these were removed. 

During the war, probably around the same time the A4s lost theirs (1942?)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/01/2023 at 21:35, Bucoops said:

Only envy.

Or being strictly accurate, Grass Green,  the proper name for the LNER locomotive green - see RCTS Locomotives of the LNER Part 1. Another misnomer that gets perpetuated, like Carmine for BR Crimson.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Or either Brunswick Green or Mid Bronze Green for the GWR.  It was actually Middle Chrome Green but the colour was affected by how many coats of varnish went on top.  It can show quite a bronze tint in sunlight if the varnish is thick - the newly-refurbed Pendennis Castle is very well varnished.

Edited by rogerzilla
  • Like 2

On 22/01/2023 at 13:24, Gilwell Park said:

The W1 was never named, but Hornby gave it one.

There's a few model W1s floating around with different names, including mine;

402297952_PXL_20220626_140316424.NIGHT2.jpg.e7d9405ea1d4c64cf4dce5dd8f043759.jpg

I've ordered the LNER green B17/5 for the same reason I bought the above W1 - It's a streamliner that is almost but not quite an A4. Peculiarly, I haven't ordered a streamlined P2, but I think this is in part due to already owning 2001 in original form.  

Cheers 60800

Edited by 60800
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 09/02/2023 at 08:39, Pint of Adnams said:

Or being strictly accurate, Grass Green,  the proper name for the LNER locomotive green - see RCTS Locomotives of the LNER Part 1. Another misnomer that gets perpetuated, like Carmine for BR Crimson.

My copy states "Officially described as 'G.N. Standard light green' (unofficially known as grass green)."

Could this be the difference in shade between Doncaster and Darlington?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, 2750Papyrus said:

My copy states "Officially described as 'G.N. Standard light green' (unofficially known as grass green)."

Could this be the difference in shade between Doncaster and Darlington?

You are quoting from the footnote to the painting specification on p46; in the remainder of that chapter it is just 'green' but note never ever apple green. On p45 the differences in shades are explained, Darlington's being more yellow (than Doncaster's) and Stratford's lighter than Doncaster but not as light as Darlington - curious that that variation never comes up elsewhere. It is here that the painting of the outer wrapper of the cylinders  green by Darlington is also noted.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1