Hornby 2023 - Bluetooth decoders and control system

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

Just a quick one to say I appreciate the contributions to this thread (not least @RAF96) as I’m still on the fence.

I suspect I won’t jump for a while yet as I like the idea of railcom in my decoders and may utilise a Z21 for app control as things currently stand.

5 hours ago, E100 said:

Just a quick one to say I appreciate the contributions to this thread (not least @RAF96) as I’m still on the fence.

I suspect I won’t jump for a while yet as I like the idea of railcom in my decoders and may utilise a Z21 for app control as things currently stand.

Hi,

You should be able to add a Railcom transmitter module to a HM7000 fitted loco as you can to any non Railcom fitted DCC loco. However its extra cost and space.

Regards

Nik

• Informative/Useful 1

26 minutes ago, NIK said:

Hi,

You should be able to add a Railcom transmitter module to a HM7000 fitted loco as you can to any non Railcom fitted DCC loco. However its extra cost and space.

Regards

Nik

Easier to get hold of of Rocking Horse poo than these items now - I think that ESU and Lenz have both stopped making them 😒

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

Just been sent a mail selling Bachmann Bluetooth train sets ;)

Bachmann Blue Star Bluetooth Train Set - HO Scale

Just shows that the wheel can be reinvented several time by different people all saying they are the first 🤭

Wasn’t there a company called blue diamond that started off using  bluetoooth about ten years ago. Their chip could also connect to a battery to power them inside the model. Think they’re still going and if memory serves they teamed up with Bachmann USA over something. Their decoders were quite big at the time. 

19 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

Easier to get hold of of Rocking Horse poo than these items now - I think that ESU and Lenz have both stopped making them 😒

Hi,

I hoped they were just out of stock temporarily due to chipaggedon.

Maybe demand will go up now that Hornby are doing more non Railcom decoders.

Regards

Nick

1 hour ago, farren said:

Wasn’t there a company called blue diamond that started off using  bluetoooth about ten years ago. Their chip could also connect to a battery to power them inside the model. Think they’re still going and if memory serves they teamed up with Bachmann USA over something. Their decoders were quite big at the time. 

This one, http://bluerailtrains.com/, Cooperated with Bachmann for their Ezy App and recently with Soundtraxx for Blunami.

52 minutes ago, NIK said:

Hi,

I hoped they were just out of stock temporarily due to chipaggedon.

Maybe demand will go up now that Hornby are doing more non Railcom decoders.

Regards

Nick

Unfortunately, these RailCom modules were dropped from both ESU and Lenz's ranges, a years or two back.

Presumably through lack of demand.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, farren said:

1 hour ago, Grovenor said:

This one, http://bluerailtrains.com/, Cooperated with Bachmann for their Ezy App and recently with Soundtraxx for Blunami.

BlueRail Trains and SoundTraxx have been mentioned quite a bit in this thread already.

Tam Valley Depot now make the 2nd generation, battery powered decoder modules for BlueRail trains, under the "BlueRailDCC by Tam Valley" banner.

SoundTraxx Blunami is the equivalent of Hornby's HM7000, but with full fat sound quality.

Bachmann's E-Z App uses the older BlueRail Trains decoder (boards).

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

I managed to fit the Next18 decoder in this with only a tiny amount of non-structural body internally needs removing - about 2mm square. The powerbank fits perfectly in the opposite side tank.

It would have been rude not to given how almost perfect the fit of the entire installation was. The decoder is using the factory fitted speaker that all the Victories come with. 

3AC159E5-494C-4649-8437-5A443AEC192C.jpeg.38b074ab768b2671fea1a8e37cd31af4.jpeg

edit: I forgot to add that the Rapido N gauge class 28 also just fits the bluetooth decoder, though I have a long list of those it won’t fit having spent the day testing. 

It *might* fit the Dapol Manor, D class and GWR Mogul if you remove the powerbank and speaker plugs from the board, but I wasn’t prepared to try this. 

Edited by Jenny Emily
Added info
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

Anyone ha e any thoughts on a suitable speaker upgrade that fits the Bachmann 66?

I've fitted a couple of TTS to my Bach (and Hattons) 66 using the square 8ohm from Roads and Rails. I would expect the same will work for the TXS/7000 decoder. 

Finally broken through with the issues I've been having !! One of the many (42) comments on the Hornby ad for the app on Facebook came up trumps. The gentleman in question managed to get his 73 to work using the below method. I've used it this evening and managed to get my 73 working, and 46225 Duchess of Gloucester too! 

Download sounds
don't take off the track
import function map
update cv list
then power cycle

Hope this helps people! 

Nathan...

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

13 hours ago, D3489gibson said:

Finally broken through with the issues I've been having !! One of the many (42) comments on the Hornby ad for the app on Facebook came up trumps. The gentleman in question managed to get his 73 to work using the below method. I've used it this evening and managed to get my 73 working, and 46225 Duchess of Gloucester too! 

Download sounds
don't take off the track
import function map
update cv list
then power cycle

Hope this helps people! 

Nathan...

If that method proves solid then it could be incorporated into the app procedure to make it a one button press.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RAF96 said:

If that method proves solid then it could be incorporated into the app procedure to make it a one button press.

Fingers crossed! However I think that it's an, if anything, unnoficial fix for the time being at least... We'll just have to wait and see, but for now, I've gone to the trouble of making a note on my phone so that I won't forget when the next decoder install comes round (probably in a few days- week now I've got to grips with it!)

Nathan.. 

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Marcoblanco said:

what does 'power cycle' mean exactly? sorry if stupid question..

It's computer speak for turn it off and turn it on again..........

😀

• Like 2

anybody scene Eu rails latest vid on the 66 sounds? the startup has a engine clunk like a class 37 before it cycles into normal 66 sounds.. I never heard this before, is this realistic on some 66s? none of my schemes have this slight variation and Ive got a few.. [?]

12 hours ago, newbryford said:

It's computer speak for turn it off and turn it on again..........

😀

Although if you have a power bank fitted it will me more like
turn it off, wait, wait, wait, wait and turn it on again.

• Like 1

Hi,

I don't know if the following is relevant to problems some folks have been having downloading sounds to the decoders.

I've just been testing a DCC loco that's been sitting in a closed box for six months since the last club open day.

I found to check its DCC address I had to hold the loco quite firmly down on the test track a number of times before I could read or write CVs.

I guess its down to the wheel/track interface or the axle pickups not providing a good enough electrical path. Once I'd checked what address was right it gradually started to move until it was 'normal'.

Might be worth putting something soft but not conductive over a loco to weigh it down on to the track (heavy cushion?) during downloading to the HM7000 sound decoder.

Regards

Nick

I have a few questions if those who have contributed to the thread thus far don’t mind me asking -  not sure I’ll be able to find the answers trawling through all 49 pages! 

I’m seriously considering in cashing in my NCE Powercab and going for the Hornby system, but wanted to double check the following: 

• That the HM DCC app can control existing DCC locomotives - I have a few locos with either Zimo sound, Hornby TTS, or Lenz Silver decoders, and would like to be able to operate them using the app, including the sound functions. Presumably it would be a case of purchasing a legacy dongle and plugging in, in my case the NCE mini-panel.

• Can you programme non-TXS decoders using the app - ie if I wanted to change the ID on one of my Lenz Silver decoders in a certain model could I do that, or would I still need a basic DCC controller to plug in and programme it that way? 

• Would I need to rewrite some of the CV functions so the functions on the chip (or whistle as number 9) aligns with the functions listed as the same function number on the app? Or could I press the whistle on the app and it control it on the chip regardless of function number? 

• Finally, the power bank - great in theory but for example the enclosure in a Hornby B12 tender is extremely tight. Do they fit all models or is it a case of testing it out? 

Thanks in advance for any clarification anyone can provide.