Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby 2023 - Bluetooth decoders and control system

AY Mod

32 minutes ago, Ighten said:

I'm guessing some comes down to the processing speed of your phone - or is that what your saying

Just putting the 47 back on one of my 47s and it came up 26 mins before dropping to 9.

But now I have a further problem..I seem to have sound but no movement. Same on Bluetooth and DCC.. I think I have mucked something up as I start to move everything over to just DCC (a knob 😳 does make a whole lot of difference ) . Is there a simple way of resetting this chip without constantly re downloading profiles

Yes, that makes sense.

I am sure I have explained this before. The app uses your internet connection to fetch the sound profile from the Hornby server using your login as authority. Your handheld then loads the profile onto the decoder, hence reliability and timing of the former depends upon your broadband speed and the latter upon your handheld device spec.

2MT profile is up for final checks and a future update will show an ETA date for future profiles, which will replace the ‘paper’ list. The app will also make provision for listing international brand profiles alongside the Hornby 00 and TT120 profiles.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

29 minutes ago, RAF96 said:

I am sure I have explained this before. The app uses your internet connection to fetch the sound profile from the Hornby server using your login as authority. Your handheld then loads the profile onto the decoder, hence reliability and timing of the former depends upon your broadband speed and the latter upon your handheld device spec.

2MT profile is up for final checks and a future update will show an ETA date for future profiles, which will replace the ‘paper’ list. The app will also make provision for listing international brand profiles alongside the Hornby 00 and TT120 profiles.

That is what I said earlier on. The transfer time will be insignificant compared with the programing time, so again as I said, most people won't notice. Thanks though for clarifying that the App does copy the file, before it chops it up to transfer to the target in this case the HM7000. As I said it seems to work every time for me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2MT sound profile is on the live server and associated sound function sheets will be loaded onto the support site area for all active profiles.

Meanwhile here is the latest status list. Note the version state explanations as amended.

Available Profiles for HM_DCC (21-12-2023)-01.png

Edited by RAF96
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Thought it was about time I actually tried this system out in anger.

So, power is 15VDC from a 19V 6A Dell laptop PSU via a dc/dc and 3A polyfuse, manual on/off switch at the track end to make the power cycles easy.

8 pin chip fitted in a Limby Class 73 as there's room for a pony in there and it's a reasonably good runner on dc. 

Downloaded app to old iPad, runs OK, connects to chip, I do the required SW updates with a power cycle between each. Then download 73 sound profile, takes 26 minutes ish.

One more power cycle and sounds work fine controlled from the iPad, however when I actually try and make the loco move the BT connection drops, doesn't restore until I power cycle the chip. 

So, close but no cigar at the moment, over to the Hornby forums to seek guidance.

3 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

Thought it was about time I actually tried this system out in anger.

So, power is 15VDC from a 19V 6A Dell laptop PSU via a dc/dc and 3A polyfuse, manual on/off switch at the track end to make the power cycles easy.

8 pin chip fitted in a Limby Class 73 as there's room for a pony in there and it's a reasonably good runner on dc. 

Downloaded app to old iPad, runs OK, connects to chip, I do the required SW updates with a power cycle between each. Then download 73 sound profile, takes 26 minutes ish.

One more power cycle and sounds work fine controlled from the iPad, however when I actually try and make the loco move the BT connection drops, doesn't restore until I power cycle the chip. 

So, close but no cigar at the moment, over to the Hornby forums to seek guidance.

Sounds about right, dare I say it that was one of Sam's complaints. I tend to load the profile, check it runs on a straight piece of very clean test track, then jump to DCC and forget about BT. It might have something to do with the power supply you are using, it might not be regulated enough.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, ColinB said:

Sounds about right, dare I say it that was one of Sam's complaints. I tend to load the profile, check it runs on a straight piece of very clean test track, then jump to DCC and forget about BT. It might have something to do with the power supply you are using, it might not be regulated enough.

The PSU is regulated to within 0.1V at 2.5A, but I'm going to try my 2A variable PSU just in case. Then I'll try my Pixel 4A as controller, assuming the required 'reset' will just unpair the iPad rather than return the chip to factory settings.

2 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

The PSU is regulated to within 0.1V at 2.5A, but I'm going to try my 2A variable PSU just in case. Then I'll try my Pixel 4A as controller, assuming the required 'reset' will just unpair the iPad rather than return the chip to factory settings.

You have to delete the decoder from the old controller, which also means unassigning its loco. Then go link it to the new device. A reset will normalise CVs and leave it linked to the old device, but not over-write a sound profile. Are you using the latest sound profile as updates have just been released.

Edited by RAF96
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/12/2023 at 10:17, RAF96 said:

You have to delete the decoder from the old controller, which also means unassigning its loco. Then go link it to the new device. A reset will normalise CVs and leave it linked to the old device, but not over-write a sound profile. Are you using the latest sound profile as updates have just been released.

Thanks for the info, I had a quick play this evening; tried with a different PSU, same result, sounds play back fine until I apply any throttle, then BT link drops until I power cycle the decoder, then it's back to square 1. Checked the operation of the loco on DC, runs absolutely fine, smooth and controllable, draws 120mA at full throttle.

Decided to switch to my Pixel 4a, but when I try and un link the loco from the iPad I get a "cannot reset" or similar error. I'll check the exact text tomorrow. 

Bought a copy of Jan 24 HM yesterday, the 32 page HM 7000 supplement is proving useful.

Fitted one with 56 sounds to an EFE 58 ( not right but close ish.  Everything was working, sounds lights motion   went shopping, as I was trying to work out how and where the sound enclosure would go ( tangent but is 3d printing custom one an option??)   Got back and now the ipad won't find the decoder, spinning circle of idleness.  Power of and off everything, loco on and off the track. Duff chip??

And yes I was a good boy Elink base unit for power with a Hornby wall wart transformer...

Edited by Pmorgancym

12 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

Fitted one with t6 sounds to an EFE 58 ( not right hut close ish.  Everything was working, sounds lights motion   went shopping, as I was trying to work out howcand where the sound enclosure would go ( tangent but is 3d printinga custom one an option??)   Got back and now the ioad would find the decoder, spinning circle of idleness.  Power of and off everything, loco on and off the track. Duff chip??

And yes I was a good boy Elink base unit for power with a Hornby wall wart transformer...

Try a decoder reset - write value 8 to CV8 then try to load the Class 08 which is the smallest file and most likely to load thus proving the decoder and loco, etc. If good go back and reload the 56. Hopefully all will be well.

Edited by RAF96
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, RAF96 said:

Try a decoder reset - write value 8 to CV8 then try to load the Class 08 which is the smallest file and most likely to load thus proving the decoder and loco, etc. If good go back and reload the t6. Hopefully all will be 

5 minutes ago, RAF96 said:

Try a decoder reset - write value 8 to CV8 then try to load the Class 08 which is the smallest file and most likely to load thus proving the decoder and loco, etc. If good go back and reload the t6. Hopefully all will be well.

How do you reset the decoder if the app can't find it?

12 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

I was trying to work out how and where the sound enclosure would go ( tangent but is 3d printing custom one an option??)

**off topic advice warning**

3d printing is definitely a possibility, if you can make the enclosure on a 3d printing programme anything is possible. I'm by no means an expert but have made all sorts from scratch including the cylinder for a 1/14 rc showmans engine I'm building:

20210119_215409.jpg.f6a94b6931e51b3cafaa91e71894b442.jpg

you would need to measure the space available (and space required for the speaker/any wiring to fit into enclosure) then draw up a shape on a computer to make a file.

Im happy to have a go if you want? Just drop me a message 👍🏻

40 minutes ago, K Hatton said:

**off topic advice warning**

3d printing is definitely a possibility, if you can make the enclosure on a 3d printing programme anything is possible. I'm by no means an expert but have made all sorts from scratch including the cylinder for a 1/14 rc showmans engine I'm building:

20210119_215409.jpg.f6a94b6931e51b3cafaa91e71894b442.jpg

you would need to measure the space available (and space required for the speaker/any wiring to fit into enclosure) then draw up a shape on a computer to make a file.

Im happy to have a go if you want? Just drop me a message 👍🏻

Oh I know, I have a filament printer here I just wondered if there was anything about the design aside from a 'big empty box'

On 21/12/2023 at 16:09, RAF96 said:

2MT sound profile is on the live server and associated sound function sheets will be loaded onto the support site area for all active profiles.

Meanwhile here is the latest status list. Note the version state explanations as amended.

Available Profiles for HM_DCC (21-12-2023)-01.png

It tells me everything is up to date v6.1. I’ve reloaded the sound profile again but cv127 set to 0 produces a very short stop. 

23 hours ago, LNERGE said:

It tells me everything is up to date v6.1. I’ve reloaded the sound profile again but cv127 set to 0 produces a very short stop. 

CV127 is stop distance default 25 so value 0 would be a dead stop.