Worn bullhead rail

roythebus1

Borrowed from the Isle of Wight Steam Railway group, a photo by Julia Snashall showing the difference between new bullhead rail and worn bullhead rail! The IWSR gang are currently renewing some 20-odd lengths on the line from Havenstreet station towards Ashey. The worn rail was laid by British Railways or maybe the Southern Railway and had seen more use in the last 20 years than it did previously!

FC609693-2B0B-4438-B748-99202151EC73.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

A need for lift plates and possibly a shim or two. Lift plates come in a range of lifts, I think it was 1/8th 1/4 and 3/8th, plus some shims.

I presume you are saying that the worn rail is lifted so the top matches the new rail, if correct what happens about fitting fishplates please? Are they joggled to suit?

Andrew

Edited by Sitham Yard
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, roythebus1 said:

Borrowed from the Isle of Wight Steam Railway group, a photo by Julia Snashall showing the difference between new bullhead rail and worn bullhead rail! The IWSR gang are currently renewing some 20-odd lengths on the line from Havenstreet station towards Ashey. The worn rail was laid by British Railways or maybe the Southern Railway and had seen more use in the last 20 years than it did previously!

FC609693-2B0B-4438-B748-99202151EC73.jpeg

The rail on the right looks positively brand new compared to the stuff in our yard......

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Sitham Yard said:

I presume you are saying that the worn rail is lifted so the top matches the new rail, if correct what happens about fitting fishplates please? Are they joggled to suit?

Andrew

Yes, lift plates are joggled, by the amounts that I listed. When I was in the per way gang, of the ESR I  cut and welded several pairs of standard plates in half and welded them back together with the required amount of lift/ joggle as a temporary measure.

Edited by Siberian Snooper
forgot to mention the ESR.

On 10/01/2023 at 07:32, Miss Prism said:

Looks like flatbottom, not bullhead.

It's new bullhead rail. I've seen the other photos in the series. I've been told the rail on the right is being replaced as well. Note the wear on the fishplate holes!

Edited by roythebus1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 10/01/2023 at 09:21, Gordon A said:

All the long lengths of rail I have seen have had the year of manufacture and an indication of the manufacturer rolled into the web.

For example, lifted during a relay on the Welshpool & Llanfair last week, rolled in 1901 and still in use in 2022

image.png.9bdb72a1a35ea751f71fa45dabbfedd4.png

• Like 3