Silent Witness (BBC) 23rd/24th Jan 2023

MyRule1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Mallard60022 said:

By Box Ticking...what exactly do you mean Mike?

I thought that might ruffle a few feathers!

By box ticking I mean the inclusion/application of things/people who those of us normal people in the real world take as a perfectly acceptable situation, but, in order to satisfy the ever increasing number of people in the world who feel, when they wake up in the morning, that they need to get upset about something have to be appeased.. So in order to satisfy the minority, a box has to be ticked to ensure that minority issues are acknowledged, which then leads to a disproportionate representation of said minority. One just needs to look at the structure of families/relationships in TV commercials to see this in action.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Another thing about SW is that any concept of speed and time seems to disappear. In most episodes bodies get back to the morgue in record time. In this week's episode mention was made of the protesters getting to the crash site. This was stated as being 1km despite the aerial shot of the train being rather longer. Also during it's journey the train passed the same pylon three times.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

No one seems to have commented on the absence of RAIB; I believe they have a statutory obligation to attend any rail accident where serious injury or loss of life has occurred. The cordoning-off, and control of access, was virtually non-existent.

I did say it was

On 24/01/2023 at 10:39, 4069 said:

set in a parallel universe that had no relationship to how things are done in real life

and I had the complete absence of RAIB, ORR and BTP, and the pathetic site control mainly in mind. Also worthy of note was that there was not a single example of orange PPE visible. Heritage railways are almost as enthusiastic as Network Rail when it comes to getting staff properly kitted out.

RAIB has a statutory obligation to investigate any collision or derailment that results in death or five or more cases of serious injury, provided there are safety lessons to be learned. They would certainly attend this sort of event,  though they might have some difficulty working out why the driver died, given the complete absence of damage to the locomotive and that the train should not have been travelling at more than 25 mph. Apologies if this was explained in the second part of the programme, but I was not sufficiently motivated to watch it.

Stuart J

RAIB (retired)

2 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

No one seems to have commented on the absence of RAIB; I believe they have a statutory obligation to attend any rail accident where serious injury or loss of life has occurred. The cordoning-off, and control of access, was virtually non-existent.

Hi,

I don't think Inspector Morse ever adhered to PACE and Henry the Fifth's troops never charged through a breach in Harfleur's walls. Drama is a different world, I guess that's why dramas about murder and violence have been so popular. Maybe if the Ukraine war and UK recession goes on we will see wall to wall TV musicals.

Regards

Nik

4 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Now, that I will watch!

Mike.

Hi,

I'm waiting for Cadfael!. The top number could be peasants trying to shake off leeches by doing jazz hands and singing 'Don't bleed me this way, I can't survive and stay alive without my blood ....'

Edited by NIK
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I thought that might ruffle a few feathers!

By box ticking I mean the inclusion/application of things/people who those of us normal people in the real world take as a perfectly acceptable situation, but, in order to satisfy the ever increasing number of people in the world who feel, when they wake up in the morning, that they need to get upset about something have to be appeased.. So in order to satisfy the minority, a box has to be ticked to ensure that minority issues are acknowledged, which then leads to a disproportionate representation of said minority. One just needs to look at the structure of families/relationships in TV commercials to see this in action.

Mike.

What's normal people Mike?

• Like 2

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

What's normal people Mike?

Please don't quote something and then report the original for removal. It makes us look daft and causes more work. You can go back and edit your post quoting it if you want to remove it Phil.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/01/2023 at 11:59, KeithMacdonald said:

Yes.

We've had plenty of car crashes before.

Don't suppose the budget would stretch to a good plane crash though?

There was an episode which featured the crash of a large RAF helicopter.  Quite well done as I recall.

Isn't Silent Witness meant to be ploughing the same furrow as the CSI franchise? I've hardly ever watched it (but been struck by the woodenness of the acting when I have).

The almost instant returns of lab tests are a feature of CSI too.

Murder on a preserved railway sounds more like a case for the 24/7 bloodbath that is Midsomer, tbh. Hell, they had a string of murders linked to the introduction of limited-overs cricket: I'm sure that railway preservation could have the bodies piling up.

• RMweb Gold

Regarding the authenticity of the Silent Witness series, I do question whether such highly scientifically trained and skilled forensic/pathology personnel would continually find themselves in situations of risk when seeking evidence.

Clearly, the plots require some drama and spice to attract viewers, but would a real “team”, especially someone in Nikki’s role, intentionally put themselves alone in danger.

On 27/01/2023 at 09:44, Right Away said:

Regarding the authenticity of the Silent Witness series, I do question whether such highly scientifically trained and skilled forensic/pathology personnel would continually find themselves in situations of risk when seeking evidence.

Clearly, the plots require some drama and spice to attract viewers, but would a real “team”, especially someone in Nikki’s role, intentionally put themselves alone in danger.

Never let reality spoil a good story!

• Agree 1