Legacy bullhead track

roythebus1

My local MRC had a quantity of 00 scale bullhead flexible track. We found it was impossible to solder anything to it. It was near impossible to cut the rails. I found it was stainless steel rail and was made by Legacy.

Has anyone else herd of this make and who made it?

Normal flux and solder should be good enough, the problem is using an iron that gets hot enough, you definitely need a min 50w temperature controlled one set at maximum with a decent sized bit.

Cutting it is another matter, Xuron cutters? forget them! Best to use a minidrill cutting disc, preferably with the diamond discs.

The other main problem is that it bends very easily, too easily in my opinion.

Is it worth it? Well go and have a look at the prototype rail and see if you agree that it actually looks more like it than the others, to my mind it does and personally I have no problem using it for my own purposes but at at  a premium for everybody else.

• Informative/Useful 1

I re-used the bases and fitted n/s rail which I had in stock at home. As the club was donated the box of track a few years back they weren't to know. We only needed a short bit to complete the rebuilding of their layout from EM to 00!  One of the club members had his soldering iron set to 500c and even that whouldn't make solder stick to the s/s rail! And nobody had any s/s solder. :)

1 minute ago, Stephen Freeman said:

TSC920 flux and Lead-free solder works with iron at 480c, though the other important parameter is the size of the bit, larger the better.

Does this amount of heat energy not compromise the plastic sleeper bases?

CJI.

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I bought the legacy track and the chairs. Three soldering irons later I decided I can't solder it either. Having said that I might be able to now that I have built a lot of points. As for the  legacy chairs they needed to be filed so the rails would go in. E v e r y  s i n g l e  one. 

This is probably OK if you have a small shelf of box layout, and the product would no doubt be gorgeous if you can pull it off, but I have a lot to do so I just ended up buying Peco Bullhead flex track and take the rails out. I use a chisel ended scalpel blade to slice the chairs off and reuse those to.

• Informative/Useful 1

I have built my whole layout with the DCC Concepts Stainless Steel track. I tried the flux that DCC sell, but it didn't work for me.

I ended up buying some "propper" stainless steel flux (from china) and silver solder.

Brush the track bottom with a fiberglass pen, flux it then tin it with a hot iron.

You can then reheat it to solder on the wire.

I have even replaced most of the supplied NS track (not the switchblades) in the Finetrax kits with it.

Railway1_01_20231002153145.jpg

On 02/10/2023 at 10:56, Captain_Mumbles said:

I bought the legacy track and the chairs. Three soldering irons later I decided I can't solder it either. Having said that I might be able to now that I have built a lot of points. As for the  legacy chairs they needed to be filed so the rails would go in. E v e r y  s i n g l e  one. 

This is probably OK if you have a small shelf of box layout, and the product would no doubt be gorgeous if you can pull it off, but I have a lot to do so I just ended up buying Peco Bullhead flex track and take the rails out. I use a chisel ended scalpel blade to slice the chairs off and reuse those to.

As far as the so-called Legacy chairs are concerned, I did understand that they were in fact Bridge Chairs, apart from their use on Longitudinal sleepers such as on bridges (hence the name) they can be found in small numbers in pointwork where space won't allow the use of a normal chair. It seems an odd choice to produce. In any event, chairs from C&L or Exactoscale can be used, which will be a easier to fit on the rail and be a more correct pattern. Exactoscale have a wider range of chairs but only available to members of Scalefour or EMGS.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Didn't DCC Concepts change the spec of the rail on their current flexitrack so that it is no longer stainless steel? I thought the latest stuff was made from nickel silver, and I think the link at the top of this page refers to that. I only mention it because (assuming it's now easier to solder to) the track is very nice indeed. The sleepers are also thinner than Peco, which makes it easier to ballast

• Like 1

On 12/10/2023 at 21:45, Solo said:

Didn't DCC Concepts change the spec of the rail on their current flexitrack so that it is no longer stainless steel? I thought the latest stuff was made from nickel silver, and I think the link at the top of this page refers to that. I only mention it because (assuming it's now easier to solder to) the track is very nice indeed. The sleepers are also thinner than Peco, which makes it easier to ballast

Your guess is as good as mine, it is described as "realistic steel" but in the same breathe says it has a high nickel content. Do we take that to mean HiNi? Interestingly they are still selling the stainless steel version in plain rail, no doubt when (?) stocks run out that will change.