DJM j94 Ebay

Ouroborus

3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Austerity wheels don't have flat faces, the spokes flare out really noticeably - it is one of the really characterful features of them - the DJM wheels are correct, Hornby's aren't.

What I was trying to say was that the faces of the spokes are flat – square if you like. They certainly do curve outwards towards the hubs. There’s an excellent picture of Repulse in Wikipedia which can be expanded to (I hope) show you what I’m trying to get at. The DJM wheels are certainly better than the Hornby but, in my opinion anyway, they could be better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunslet_Austerity_0-6-0ST#/media/File:Repulse_at_Haverthwaite_railway_station_(6549).jpg

Edited by No Decorum
Forgot italics.

• 1 month later...
On 06/03/2023 at 17:11, No Decorum said:

What I was trying to say was that the faces of the spokes are flat – square if you like. They certainly do curve outwards towards the hubs. There’s an excellent picture of Repulse in Wikipedia which can be expanded to (I hope) show you what I’m trying to get at. The DJM wheels are certainly better than the Hornby but, in my opinion anyway, they could be better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunslet_Austerity_0-6-0ST#/media/File:Repulse_at_Haverthwaite_railway_station_(6549).jpg

9-preserved.jpg.98bbe5dc9cfe04e4b13db40faae73929.jpg

ex- NCB Backworth number 9 at Aviemore.  

I have a few DJM Austerities plus one EFE and a number of Hornby (and one Dapol which is pushing 40 years old).  All are sound fitted.  The weathered Hornbys and the Dapol tend mostly to work the rough track on NO PLACE's colliery.   The clean Hornbys and the DJM and EFE locos work the preservation side where the track is kinder.  Any loco can work any duty on its side of the layout, all perform as well as each other.   Only the older locos are used in the colliery as their overscale flanges keep them on the rough track rather better.  It isn't just the DJM locos not allowed there, I have locos by Rapido, Bachmann and Hornby that can't work into the screens.

My issue with the DJM WDs is the rather fragile handrails- I'm going to have to replace a couple with wire where the plastic handrail knobs have broken off.

Les

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/02/2023 at 13:38, peterfgf said:

The drive through the gears and through the coupling rods is not just poor design but a mechanical impossibility to get right, given the manufacturing tolerances.  It might be possible to get the wheel diameters precisely all the same and precisely the correct diameter to correspond to the gear reduction but the engineering would cost you an awful lot of money.  The only way to get these models right is to strip out the gears - -but I have read that might easier said than done.

Peterfgf

Actually the motor is too small. Can barely overcome the friction generated when the weight of the loco forces the gear against the worm. Someone removed the gears on a DJM 14XX and found it made no difference.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

An idle browse though 'Bay reveals that some 'Brand New' DJM 18" Austerities are on sale. Are these re-discovered models from some long-defunct retail source? 

Perhaps my ambition of re-creating Haulwen No2 (Mountain Ash) is still alive after all...

• Friendly/supportive 1