DJM j94 Ebay

Ouroborus

Strange thing.  After breaking my J94, I browsed ebay to see if i could get spares for my Mech Navvies.  I didn't hold up hope.  But i found one, in fact the seller had ten, each at £59.  Plus another NCB J94, with ten available of this type too.  The seller is in Liverpool.

Edited by Ouroborus
Typo

• RMweb Gold
On 27/01/2023 at 17:37, Ouroborus said:

Strange thing.  After breaking my J94, I browsed ebay to see if i could get spares for my Mech Navvies.  I didn't hold up hope.  But i found one, in fact the seller had ten, each at £59.  Plus another NCB J94, with ten available of this type too.  The seller is in Liverpool.

I was watching one of these and got a seller offer for £44.99, even more of a bargain. 

Roy

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

I've just bought another, for conversion to Haulwen No2, (Mountain Ash). Ideally, I'd like to find a second-hand body so I can create a bit of leeway. 

Les of this parish made a cracking MSC version, and I was extremely interested.  Still, there we go.....

As an aside, do EFE sell spares, and do they have any contact details?

Edited by tomparryharry
late at night...

21 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

Yet to test, but turned up just now seemingly still sealed.

edit. - runs as expected 

IMG_20230207_134230969.jpg

May I ask how you expected it to run? I have four of these models. I fitted three with decoders and they run well but I don’t use them much for fear of wrecking them. The fourth has no decoder. I ran it in the hope that running would improve it but it got worse and worse. Essentially, running in wrecked its performance and it will now only jerk.

59 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

May I ask how you expected it to run? I have four of these models. I fitted three with decoders and they run well but I don’t use them much for fear of wrecking them. The fourth has no decoder. I ran it in the hope that running would improve it but it got worse and worse. Essentially, running in wrecked its performance and it will now only jerk.

Yes, you picked up on my careful use of words.  It ran last night for over 4 hours on DC.  A little jerky at first, but then settled down.  I'd call the running smooth, it didn't waddle or rock, but all those gears make it noisy.   I did have some trepidation because my other DJM models don't fill me with confidence that they won't pack up, but so far so go.   For the money (£50), I'm happy with it.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

The drive through the gears and through the coupling rods is not just poor design but a mechanical impossibility to get right, given the manufacturing tolerances.  It might be possible to get the wheel diameters precisely all the same and precisely the correct diameter to correspond to the gear reduction but the engineering would cost you an awful lot of money.  The only way to get these models right is to strip out the gears - -but I have read that might easier said than done.

Peterfgf

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, peterfgf said:

The drive through the gears and through the coupling rods is not just poor design but a mechanical impossibility to get right, given the manufacturing tolerances.  It might be possible to get the wheel diameters precisely all the same and precisely the correct diameter to correspond to the gear reduction but the engineering would cost you an awful lot of money.  The only way to get these models right is to strip out the gears - -but I have read that might easier said than done.

Peterfgf

You have lost me there, gearing a set of axles to rotate at the same rate is very simple. What do you see as being difficult to engineer?

Roy

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

You have lost me there, gearing a set of axles to rotate at the same rate is very simple. What do you see as being difficult to engineer?

Roy

It is simple until you put connecting rods on as well. There has to be some very fine engineering tolerances otherwise the gear train to all axles could be running at a different rate to that which the connecting rods want to do.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, 96701 said:

It is simple until you put connecting rods on as well. There has to be some very fine engineering tolerances otherwise the gear train to all axles could be running at a different rate to that which the connecting rods want to do.

I must have grown up in a different era where engineering to within a 1000th of an inch was commonplace. 

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Well, yes, but we are referencing DJM here who probably didn't want to pay somebody to achieve those tolerances. Plus the fact that even if those tolerances were achieved during manufacture, they are unlikely to stay that way with use, particularly if there was a poor choice of materials.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Ah! The same happened to me! I bought one, but it was a year before I got to open the box. In the interim, the grease within the chassis had gummed up. starting the model produced a revolution of (about) 10 degrees, and stop. Using the old adage 'if it goes one way, then it must go the other way' I put the loco in reverse. This time, about 15 degrees, and stop. Back & forth for a good hour, with getting the extra movement until you know the model wants to work, but still falters. Finally, the model frees up. The knack (I think) is to shut off when the loco seizes, and reverse the polarity. Remember that some of these models were made some 8 years ago, and haven't moved at all. The Chinese like using animal-based grease, so it's liable to congeal and restrict those tiny, high-quality** cogs & gears.  I kept faith with mine, and they did indeed, worked well.  

My extra model showed up this week, so I expect the same rigmarole when I (finally) get to test it. In fairness to DJM, my first models weren't bad, and ran well out of the box.  Enough to use them on my old shunting puzzle. Like No Decorum, I have 4, and I might buy another at some point.

** Me? Sarcasm? You must be thinking of someone else......

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

18 hours ago, 96701 said:

18 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

I must have grown up in a different era where engineering to within a 1000th of an inch was commonplace. 

Roy

I think the main issue, regardless of whether it can be engineered to sufficient tolerance, is why on earth put a gear train in a mechanism where the wheels are also joined by coupling rods? They both do the same thing so at best you are adding nothing, and at worst, the two start fighting each other.

2 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

The Chinese like using animal-based grease, so it's liable to congeal and restrict those tiny, high-quality** cogs & gears.  I kept faith with mine, and they did indeed, worked well.  

You mean they aren't Vegan? 😮

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, andyman7 said:

I think the main issue, regardless of whether it can be engineered to sufficient tolerance, is why on earth put a gear train in a mechanism where the wheels are also joined by coupling rods? They both do the same thing so at best you are adding nothing, and at worst, the two start fighting each other.

You mean they aren't Vegan? 😮

Yes, I tried, but I couldn't get into the *Q@!#~ chassis!

• Friendly/supportive 1

Apart from the poorly moulded injectors and the wheels not having flat faces, the DJs are an attractive bunch although not decorated any better than Hornby’s version. There is no provision for a decoder in the Hornby ones but at least they run reasonably well. Royal Engineer’s plates are in the wrong place.

651360972_98RoyalEngineer.jpg.29f511c676186be27d23f6a5dd6ff908.jpg

728233241_196ErrolLonsdale2.jpg.71ed5428270143511c1483321c48f9f8.jpg

1678920747_3806Wilbert.jpg.173419edfd166833d2043befc466753a.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 08/02/2023 at 18:47, Roy Langridge said:

Roy

That's pretty loose  At our place we had to be dead on.😁

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/02/2023 at 00:33, No Decorum said:

and the wheels not having flat faces,

Austerity wheels don't have flat faces, the spokes flare out really noticeably - it is one of the really characterful features of them - the DJM wheels are correct, Hornby's aren't.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1