Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

2025 - Layout of the Century?

dseagull

In two years, it will be 2025. As an aside, I will be 41 years old...

Now I've stopped crying, I will resume my point 😉

Wikipedia informs me that the first recorded layout was built in 1859 for the son of Napoleon III. It also says that one of the first scenic layouts was the Madder Valley layout built by John Ahern. We could no doubt argue forever and a day about who truly was first, which is not the point here.

What is certain, is that in 1925 A.R. Walkley exhibited his 'portable goods yard', bringing the 'inglenook' to popular attention - and also 'proving' it was possible to have a small (6' x 1') layout with small British locomotives.

It therefore follows that this particular anniversary is in 2 years time - 2025.

Now, Mr Walkley's layout was certainly 'scenic' - you can see a picture on https://www.carendt.com/small-layout-scrapbook/page-61a-may-2007/ , for example.

I wondered if anyone was aware that there were any plans to celebrate this particular anniversary?

Layout of the Century poll?
Another layout competition?...

Edited by dseagull
typo in year
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Nobody has bitten , so I will....

A.R. Walkley's "Layout in a Suitcase" was the first portable layout, the first folding layout, the first exhibition layout. It demonstrated once and for all that a small shunting layout in 3.5mm/4mm scales could work, and work well, and look good.

Nobody since has seriously doubted that a layout based on shunting and train operation is entirely practical in 4mm. The whole post-war phenomenon of the branch line terminus layout is based on that .

However it seems that in smaller scales genuine doubt persists. Having ventured into the area recently , I've been disconcerted to come across comments like "N gauge isn't for shunting" . And there does seem to be something of a dearth of small terminus /fiddle yard in the gauge. It seems N gauge is generally treated as a way to build  continuous run mainline layouts in a moderate space. "Micros" in N gauge seem invariably to be "pizzas" - ie a simple circle

We are now getting to the point where finding sufficient space for a "small" layout in 4mm at home is becoming difficult. Whether that is due to the influence of the finescale movement (15" curves are no longer acceptable in 4mm) or the chronic housing shortage reducing space at home, or because modern vehicles are so large...

The logical result should be that people move down a scale , and we see a flourishing of BLTs  and shunting planks in N . But we don't. Instead we see heroic efforts to cram 4mm into ever smaller spaces through micros and Boxfiles. These are hyper-compressed representational small dioramas. Why this instead of moving to  smaller scale?

So - my suggestion is that RMWeb should celebrate the centenary of the "Layout in a Suitcase" by doing for small shunting layouts in "the smaller scales" what Walkley did so effectively for 3.5mm/4mm scale in 1925

Demonstrate unequivically that it can be done - and done well

Through a layout building competition for self contained portable layouts in "the smaller scales" , built in the same footprint as Walkley's 1925 layout 

- Footprint : 2 boards , each 36" x 12" maximum dimensions  

- Boards to fold or box together to create a unit no more than 36" x 12" x 18" for storage (allows 3" deep framing)

- Layout to be built in a scale not larger than 1/100  ( ie Z gauge, 2mm finescale, N gauge, TT, 3mm scale, including narrow gauge (Nm, 3n3 etc) or even broad gauge)

- Layout operation to include shunting of vehicles (freight or passenger) by a locomotive

- Terminus /fiddle yard layout, or self-contained system

- Any prototype, worldwide, to be permitted (doesn't have to be British outline)

- Time frame for actual construction: 12 months 

The layout will need to deliver operational interest, and to work well. (This poses an issue for judging: still photos can't prove reliable running. Could a Zoom Virtual Exhibition be part of the judging??? Or posted video clips??)

The suggested footprint should be small enough to fit in a modern home without a lot of inconvenience . But in N gauge it would equate to a space approx 12' x 2' in 4mm - which most people would consider quite generous these days

Any form of propulsion permitted - DC , DCC, Bluetooth, clockwork, live steam, home-brew linear motors .... [ not expecting any of the last 3...]

Edited by Ravenser
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Personally I like the idea proposed by Ravenser, but I suspect that this would work better for one of the smaller scale societies or groups to promote. 

If we wanted to have a homage to Mr Walkley, then you could propose that there would a maximum layout or scenic size that relates to 1925 (I wondered about this being a measurement in mm that equated to the length of the layout and the width of the layout combined.) I would also suggest that there should be a reference to Mr Walkley in some form or other. The final stipulation I would suggest is that there would need to some form of innovation included in the layout, as a way to try and push the hobby forward in the way that Mr Walkley did.