Hornby stock stolen

Craig1989

On 14/02/2023 at 21:06, woodenhead said:

My point was, if they had stolen TT stock it would be more easily visible when it got sold, the only place you can buy TT is Hornby, so if it is not coming from Hornby it has to be stolen.

On 15/02/2023 at 18:54, rab said:

I don't think Hornby get much more flack that any of the other manufacturers

On 15/02/2023 at 19:50, frobisher said:

They kinda do, but they do have a habit of presenting themselves with greater opportunities to attract said flack than the others...

On 15/02/2023 at 20:23, Bucoops said:

They really do. Stitching up their stockists on a regular basis (and ultimately the end users) is the usual one in the last couple of years, but loads of other examples.

Walk into any decent model shop and ask the proprietor about Hornby and see what answer you get. Unless they are a tier 1 retailer, despite ordering product they have issues. Not enough, or none at all, or very occasionally more than they can sell. 

I understand Hornby's idea behind controlling their TT:120 market, but it ultimately will be whatever they make of it, and their ability to entirely retail it. In the near future Hornby are unlikely to receive any support whatsover from traditional retailers  (concerning TT:120) simply because they have been bypassed. 

Edited by Covkid
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Covkid said:

Walk into any decent model shop and ask the proprietor about Hornby and see what answer you get. Unless they are a tier 1 retailer, despite ordering product they have issues. Not enough, or none at all, or very occasionally more than they can sell. 

I understand Hornby's idea behind controlling their TT:120 market, but it ultimately will be whatever they make of it, and their ability to entirely retail it. In the near future Hornby are unlikely to receive any support whatsover from traditional retailers  (concerning TT:120) simply because they have been bypassed. 

Its not just Hornby , its also Airfix . Everytime I'm at my local kit supplier I ask him why isn't he doing railways  as there really isn't anyone in West Central Scotland anymore , it would be a good seller for him . He just says he has enough trouble with Airfix he's not interested in Hornby . And actually the amount of red boxes (Airfix) he has been stocking has been steadily declining in favour of Revell 

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Bucoops said:

And places that did have them in stock might 1) panic they get accused and 2) inflate the prices.

That's assuming it wasn't an entire run that has been stolen.

Yes. Making known what has been pinched really only works if it is TT120 or something which hasn't yet arrived on the market.  

The last time (that I've heard of) that  something was stolen in transit the way it came to light was because somebody noticed it being sold  and asked elsewhere what had happened to their pre-order.  In that case the stuff stolen was a single model and it was every example of that model in the consignment.

In reality what we do not know is what was stolen and where it was stolen from.  The theft would be noticed in one of two ways - either a full load container being tampered with or stuff coming in via groupage not being delivered in accordance with invoices and despatch etc details but which had been confirmed to have been in the container when the load was broken down for delivery to the warehouse.  In either case it would no doubt be considered as theft and accordingly be reported to the police as an alleged crime. 

• RMweb Premium

...and if being investigated by the Police, you have to be careful what you publish about it online, even somewhere obscure like a dark dusty corner of a little forum because if the perpetrators are caught and brought to trial, some smart alec defence solicitor will have their best legal researchers find it, drag it up and attempt to get the case thrown out on some legal technicality.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1