Laser cut MDF/Ply straight/radius/spacing templates for track?

Lacathedrale

I'm about to embark shortly on laying some track which is going to need some fairly consistent curves and bends. Rather than dumping ££'s into tracksetta, I find it hard to believe there's not a laser cutting firm who can knock out straights, radius and track spacing jigs for a few quid - but I can't seem to find any. Am I being thick?

• RMweb Premium

I've seen a set ( 8 templates I think) of TT:120 ones on eBay for 17 quid, might well be other gauges there. I'd not trust MDF unless it had been well sealed after cutting.

Edited by spamcan61

• RMweb Gold

Very simply from a wholesalers perspective, the expensive part of laser cut mdf/ply products is normally the designers experience (and therefore time).

How many units of the “fairly consistent curves and bends” would a company be able to sell over a given period, and is it worth their time designing them. If not then you would need to commission them(there was a company canned mannin models at a recent oo9 show)

I would agree track spacers would seem to be a more viable niche product.

Have you considered a length of wood pinned at one end and hole(s) for a pencil at track centre(s) at the other as a fixed compass?

• RMweb Gold

You can use templot to give you very impressive transition curves and then print out a template. Fix this down then just lay your track over the template.

To be honest, the mark 1 eyeball is, by far and away, the very best tool for laying out track.  Get your head down at track level and your can align things very well.

Ian

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jonboy said:

Very simply from a wholesalers perspective, the expensive part of laser cut mdf/ply products is normally the designers experience (and therefore time).

Templot can do the designing and create the file for the laser-cutter. Here's how to create straight and curved strips at any width or radius:

https://85a.uk/templot/club/index.php?threads/laser-cut-trackbed.629/

Set the width to match the track gauge to produce "tracksetta"-style radius aids.

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
typo
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why bother with tracksetta style solutions. Just print paper Templot  templates and glue or pin the track to paper templates . This allied allows you to deploy transition a curves etc 

ideally can’t see the point of physical templates when we have computer template generators  like Templot 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Junctionmad said:

Why bother with tracksetta style solutions. Just print paper Templot  templates and glue or pin the track to paper templates . This allied allows you to deploy transition a curves etc 

ideally can’t see the point of physical templates when we have computer template generators  like Templot 

Because it's a lot easier and more accurate to the ham fisted amongst us, me included, to have a physical edge to work to, especially when bending flexitrack as slight thrupenny bits can occur on paper.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Because it's a lot easier and more accurate to the ham fisted amongst us, me included, to have a physical edge to work to, especially when bending flexitrack as slight thrupenny bits can occur on paper.

Files from Templot can be sent to a laser-cutting firm to produce a physical guide. Any gauge or radius or a transition curve. Here's how to create such track aids:

https://85a.uk/templot/club/index.php?threads/laser-cut-trackbed.629/

Set the width to match the track gauge to produce "tracksetta"-style curving aids.

cheers,

Martin.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
On 27/02/2023 at 10:06, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

Mike what you can do is to glue the template on a piece of card, cut along the sleeper ends, hey presto you have a template to whatever radii you require. I can understand that gluing paper on track beds can be a no no for some but there is nothing better than making simple card formers, very cheap and easy to use. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...