Dapol N 121 Bubble...

bcnPete

Guest Moria

I just hope like hell as it's not of similar cost to the 153. that was horrendous.

Don't understand, its a loco, its as long as a tender loco, it has lighting and an interior, its a complete train in itself and its the same cost as some current locos and cheaper than many.. what was horrendous? I thought it was cheap for what it was.

Regards

Graham

and i haven't come across any RTR locos that I can think of for more than an hundred

Graham Farish

Black 5 RRP £104.95

Jubilee RRP £102.75

Rebuilt Royal Scot RRP £101.20

Ixion

Manor RRP £104.95

Dapol

Class 86 RRP £104.95

Class 58 RRP £104.95

Ignoring multiple units and their ilk.

Graham Farish

Black 5 RRP £104.95

Jubilee RRP £102.75

Rebuilt Royal Scot RRP £101.20

Ixion

Manor RRP £104.95

Dapol

Class 86 RRP £104.95

Class 58 RRP £104.95

Ignoring multiple units and their ilk.

Who pays these prices though?

I've bought several Jubilees for ~£60, several Scots for ~£70 and two Dapol 86s for less than £65. Even my Ixion Manor cost less than £100...

Paying RRP is simply not necessary if you look around a bit!

Cheers,

Alan

Who pays these prices though?

I've bought several Jubilees for ~£60, several Scots for ~£70 and two Dapol 86s for less than £65. Even my Ixion Manor cost less than £100...

Paying RRP is simply not necessary if you look around a bit!

The point was... over there... seeing as you missed it.

The point was... over there... seeing as you missed it.

????????

I'm not sure if you're trying to be cryptic or something, as this doesn't even make any sense..... my point was simple, albeit slightly different - RRP is somewhat meaningless.....:D

Cheers,

Alan

How did you manage that?

Brand new Mk2 manor for less than 100 - as always immediately after the release of a new model there are folks peddling them on certain auction websites trying to make a quick buck.

This particular one failed for some reason....:lol:

Cheers,

Alan

Guest Moria

The cost of tooling, no matter the size, is pretty much the same.. the cost of research is pretty much the same, the cost of plastic is pretty much the same (dead cheap plastic) however, a smaller moter.. more expensive, the assembly work, more complicated hence more expensive, the market size, smaller, therefore more expensive as not as many are made to offset the costs of the stuff that costs the same even.

Pretty simple maths therefore shows.. however much logic would like to think otherwise.. N gauge, smaller and a little more expensive. Pretty good deal really, that it's only a little more, could be a lot more.

Regards

Graham

• RMweb Gold

Have to say...all the above cost related posts taken into consideration...but I have been waiting years for a 2mm RTR bubble...so I will pay whatever the cost...even in these harsh economic climes...

<br />The cost of tooling, no matter the size, is pretty much the same.. the cost of research is pretty much the same, the cost of plastic is pretty much the same (dead cheap plastic) however, a smaller moter.. more expensive, the assembly work, more complicated hence more expensive, the market size, smaller, therefore more expensive as not as many are made to offset the costs of the stuff that costs the same even.<br /><br />Pretty simple maths therefore shows.. however much logic would like to think otherwise.. N gauge, smaller and a little more expensive. Pretty good deal really, that it's only a little more, could be a lot more.<br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Graham<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

Not really that simple

The cost of a tool 1/8th of the volume is usually somewhat less, the cost of plastic is a bit less, and the research is about the same. Mechanism costs are also not necessarily the same - metal costs money, motor windings cost money, brass pickup strip costs money - all by size. Another factor that is not trivial is the packaging and shipping cost. You get a *lot* less OO gauge coaches in a container.

The killer in general is volume. N is a much smaller modeller base (although growing rapidly). Right now the two seem to about cancel about, plus I suspect the OO people pay most of the research cost for many dual scale models - as if the cost is split at "x per model" then the OO people buy 90% of the models.

If the two scales were the same customer base I suspect the prices would be materially in favour of N.

<br /><br /><br />

Not really that simple

The cost of a tool 1/8th of the volume is usually somewhat less, the cost of plastic is a bit less, and the research is about the same. Mechanism costs are also not necessarily the same - metal costs money, motor windings cost money, brass pickup strip costs money - all by size. Another factor that is not trivial is the packaging and shipping cost. You get a *lot* less OO gauge coaches in a container.

The killer in general is volume. N is a much smaller modeller base (although growing rapidly). Right now the two seem to about cancel about, plus I suspect the OO people pay most of the research cost for many dual scale models - as if the cost is split at "x per model" then the OO people buy 90% of the models.

If the two scales were the same customer base I suspect the prices would be materially in favour of N.

Agreed. In Japan, where N-gauge holds the largest market share, prices are very reasonable and the quality is excellent. It is indeed down to volume production and the associated cost savings.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not sure if Dapol Dave can answer this one...

...but just wondered why the Bubble will not be available in Blue/Grey livery - I would have thought that one would have outsold the NSE liverys?...

Not sure if Dapol Dave can answer this one...

...but just wondered why the Bubble will not be available in Blue/Grey livery - I would have thought that one would have outsold the NSE liverys?...

It would, but knowing Dapol they'll produce the exact same number for both liveries and the one in the B/G livery will sell out within days with dealers being left with loads of unsold NSE 121's.

• RMweb Gold

It would, but knowing Dapol they'll produce the exact same number for both liveries and the one in the B/G livery will sell out within days with dealers being left with loads of unsold NSE 121's.

aaargh....now I understand...shrewd business tactics...I can see the sense in that - Thanks

I'm not so sure, perhaps NSE livery will prove to be very popular and that'll be the one that sells out quickly. :lol:

After all it's the first time it's been produced in N gauge since the last century. B)

G.

Why would NSE Livery on the 121 be a poor seller? Sounds lovely to me :)

In OO Hornby have released 2 NSE livery 121s - (The ex lima model) and both seemed to have end up in the bargain bucket rather quickly - most likely down to Hornby making a complete hash of the livery , rather than it actually being unpopular. That was the very reason I didnt buy them - (I think theres a lesson in there somewhere:))

I'll have a couple in N though!

tfn

Jon

Or is this a cunning ploy by holding a popular livery back? Perhaps Dapol know that BG would be popular and so are deliberately holding it back for later. They may be hoping that people will settle for Blue or NSE instead and then buy a second one in BG when they do get around it.

• RMweb Gold

Well...in that case I will settle for a BR Blue one as it just falls in my era...and then hold out for the 'popular' livery' ;)

I guess we will just have to wait and see how quick the NSE ones fly off the shelves...

IIRC isn't this what they did with the 73, not release it in Blue first, but in the obscure liveries. Then after a lot of people complained on forums, release a blue version about 12-18 months later, and then moan themselves when it didn't sell, because most of those who wanted a blue one bought another liveried one and resprayed it!!!!!!!

Just my thoughts ;) ;) ;)

Regards

Neal.

• 4 weeks later...

At a guess they'll hold it back because lots of people who want a BR blue/white one will buy a different colour and then a blue/white one - which wouldn't happen in the other order.

Standard business tactics taught at every MBA marketing class. It's not the rock music the religious should be worrying about ;)

Archived