Mark 3 Catering Vehicle Photos

• RMweb Premium

@woodenhead yes, swing plug doors.

A unique vehicle next, the Executive Saloon (TLUK) converted from TRUK 40513.

This was available for hire and was usually inserted behind the PC into the required scheduled HST service.

24/08/1984 - York.

By John Turner/53a Models on Flickr

In the passenger saloon, the seats were replaced with a dining table w/ loose chairs and 8 'easy' chairs.

TLUK2.png.0b3ab77b15d3775b713762fecfe0525b.png

Courtesy Barrowmore MRG / Eddie Korn (PDF of BR230 - DEMU Diagram Book p.89)

There was an entry for this in ER Periodical Operating Notice 01/04/1989 (PDF courtesy limitofshunt.org):

TLUK.jpg.798b1fc8431e69893b2a2694d5d4e67f.jpg

This vehicle has been discussed a few time after appearing in DaveF's Photo thread - there was one post which stated how much it cost to hire, I'll have to try and find it.

Edited by keefer
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Prototype RSM (later RFM) possibly 10201 (ex-TRUK 40520)

2490038975_bc4163194e_b.jpgRSM_III by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

I think the first conversion 10200 (ex-40519) was RFM from the start. (ISTR one of each class).

Platform 5 1986 book (to 21/06/86) has these two only but proposed numbers for the rest of the fleet which, of course, became the mainstay catering vehicle on the WCML Mk2 & 3 sets.

As I mentioned before, the corridor window layout can vary depending on the original coach type used (these are all conversions). I don't  know if it worked out like this eventually but the proposed coaches were:

10200-11: Ex-TRUK (HST)

10212-39: Ex-RUB (10001-28, Mk3a loco-hauled)

10240-263: Ex-FO (110xx, Mk3a loco-hauled)

Edited by keefer
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Wasn't a TRUK repainted into NSE livery as part of the promotion for the 442s Wessex Electrics? I've got a photo of it alongside Derby station somewhere...

IIRC it was used as a test bed for NSE livery as it was stored at the time, rather than just for the 442s - which are still the best emu to grace Southern region metals.

Robert 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Yes - the very same unique vehicle as in my Kildare photos !

Sorry mate, the number didn't register - I think the full-size windows threw me too!

1 hour ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Wasn't a TRUK repainted into NSE livery as part of the promotion for the 442s Wessex Electrics? I've got a photo of it alongside Derby station somewhere...

This came up in an old thread about Mk3 conversions. It was 40516:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/142394-mk3-coach-conversions/?do=findComment&comment=3475555

Further down that thread there are links to a pic of it but you need to log into railforums: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?p=1385674

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Gold

Well back in the day the snug was the place to be , sadly they very quickly be came smoke stained and sticky with uncertain products spilt or leaked upon the carpet. But of course not a patch on the cooked breakfasts on a REP.  The decline and downgrading of the vehicle was sad to see. 

Robert 

• RMweb Premium

All straight out of the box as well - you don't need to weather everything!

Another one we've had in another thread was driver training runs with PC 3xTRUK TGS PC in b/g in the early-mid '80s. Presumably spares as they were (I think) from a pool of 40513-17

• RMweb Premium

I forgot I had the Platform 5 Winter 1988 (to 07/11/88) book to hand despite using it recently!

RSM: 10200 (40519) and 10201 (40520) Both IC livery, IWCX (IC WCML sector), WB (Willesden Brent)

RFM:

10202-11 (TRUK/TRFK 40504/6/2/3/7, 40516/7, 40508-10. All from lot 30884 1977)

10212-29 (l/h FO 11012-63, at random and not all numbers but all from lot 30878 1975-6)

10230-260 but no 10239/43/44 (at random from l/h RUB/RFB 10001-28. All from lot 30890 1979).

All are IC livery, IWCX and WB, except 10236-260 which are OY (Oxley)

Edited by keefer
Add details

Just a question - why all the different window arrangements? Is it to accommodate the internals? Asking for a friend ;). It must have made it hard to create a 'standard' vehicle - and expensive too if they were one-offs.

Cheers,

Philip

• RMweb Gold

Phillip,

Yes to accommodate internal designs, however with in reasons the mK3 was flexible design with standard parts jig assembled with whole side offered up to the chassis.  Catering cars have a complex history and was catering led over operator led so several vehicles created for planned operations the TRUK mentioned here had a 4 window saloon and a big kitchen/ servery/pantry but no counter. Intended for full meal services but speed killed the sit down period for a multi course traditional meal, along with new eating habits of burgers and takeaways landing big time did for the need for the TRUK.   The small buffet TRSB did all was needed on many routes but the 27 TRUB and local RUB  did all that was needed for meals.    TRUKs were thus redundant - a couple wandered off into Royal duties the exec saloon as mentioned above , the others were stored until the cusine2000 modular catering came along to further ( but not better) align train catering to the  airline style of preformed slop in a tray off train and heated on board.   To convert all workings and remove Mk1s the TRUKs were converted to give a float to allow RUBs to be butchered, however not enough so a batch of  non catering MK3s were converted - here the flexibility of design showed as with some repaneling  a kitchen side wall created, the corridor/bar side however only had one big window converted to a tall small size, the easy spot for a converted vehicle over ex catering.  

Robert 

cutu  

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

photo of 10219 from ukrailwayspics' smugmug - l/h Mk3 coaches

(very good site I keep forgetting about - lots of the more recent liveries, including some RFMs looking amazing in either reverse grey/blue or freshly applied blue/grey)🙂

10219_Mk3RFM_DawlishWarren_30072016 (107)

Shows that this was indeed an ex-FO. Part of the 4th window (from this end) has been blanked off but the windows have been kept full-depth (notice the buffet-area handrail).

I have seen a YouTube video taken at Euston in InterCity (Executive or Swallow) days that showed an ex-TRUK version i.e. the half-height corridor windows were still opaque from its HST days.

Edited by keefer
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Philou said:

Just a question - why all the different window arrangements? Is it to accommodate the internals? Asking for a friend ;). It must have made it hard to create a 'standard' vehicle - and expensive too if they were one-offs.

Cheers,

Philip

As Robert mentioned above, the Mk3 bodyshell was/is very flexible. Basically, every design being arranged around the 8 full possible window openings on each side. The downside to this was the lack of second/standard class seating being aligned to the windows. Remember that on the shorter Mk2, the firsts had 7 window openings and the seconds having 8, so seating/tables did align up to the windows.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Mk3 (T)RUB vehicles in blue/grey.

Brand new or just very clean? (Note APT behind left and HST p/c on right.)

Looks like a depot Open Day.

15933925826_cdac136706_b.jpgM10015_DerbyWorks by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Points to note:

Green (heavy duty) primary bogie springs under the kitchen end and yellow (normal) under the saloon end.

On the l/h MK3a RUB the red catering stripe only went to the top of the door (the cant-rail line even though there wasn't a physical body line) and stopped short of the last kitchen window.

Compare with an HST TRUB, which has the deeper red band that goes up to the saloon window:

17434341315_fef71baa29_b.jpg40317_York_30-7-81 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Edited by keefer
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1