Revolution announce TEA second run

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, XChris said:

Does this mean that second parts of payments will start to be taken in the coming days or an email will be sent in the coming days to pay?

From the Revolution Trains website, FAQ section:

IMG_2704.jpeg.039b7871aa4228b29d9b27068f9ecae5.jpeg

• Like 1

Had a random Royal Mail email the other day that’s due to arrive today. Hoping that my 6 of these being delivered!. Would’ve loved a much longer rake but I can’t fit more than 6 in my storage yard. Strangely had no dispatch notification from revolution tho. Is this normal for pre-orders? Not sure as it’s my first order from the team. Looking forward to the models arriving, hopefully today 🤞🏻!

Just now, Bryn_Bach_Railway said:

Had a random Royal Mail email the other day that’s due to arrive today. Hoping that my 6 of these being delivered!. Would’ve loved a much longer rake but I can’t fit more than 6 in my storage yard. Strangely had no dispatch notification from revolution tho. Is this normal for pre-orders? Not sure as it’s my first order from the team. Looking forward to the models arriving, hopefully today 🤞🏻!

Yes, I've had it before with them, think with Caroline I got the dispatch notification after it had been delivered. If the tracking states it was at the Royal Mail depot in Cambridge then it's more than likely from Revolution.

I've been looking forward to these for a while after missing the first batch - and have a pre-order for 12 in, but I'm a bit anxious to receive them looking at the warped walkways on the tops of the ones on the images on Rails of Sheffield's website - hopefully these have just been rough handled by the photography team as they look pretty warped and detached from the top of the tanker in places. Has anyone had theirs as of yet and can confirm the finish?

image.png.2d783c86c3b08e671b324fcac3c591e0.png

(https://railsofsheffield.com/products/revolution-trains-oo-tea-41125-tea-tank-vtg-grey-livery-no-88173)

image.png.18fe31861a74bd0d00e64f504ef00d8f.png

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/revolution-trains-oo-tea-41123-tea-tank-vtg-grey-livery-no-88169

image.png.f4ca32454e10ffc34a9f4b8c396e880e.png

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/revolution-trains-oo-tea-41113-tea-tank-vtg-red-livery-no-88130

My 6 in a variety of livery’s did indeed arrive today, and I must say they look brilliant behind a 60!

IMG_8201.jpeg.a7122bd68d6718492bd865f449320567.jpegIMG_8202.jpeg.05c8089497589323334a19896b1720d4.jpegIMG_8203.jpeg.5ddb5b3d73423b820a57668bb3861341.jpeg

there’s no major warping on the walkways on mine (there’s a few with a tiny amount, but it’s not noticeable from a distance and can just be excused as wear and tear on the real things) 

in all honesty I’m very happy. Wish I got more than 6, however that’s all I can fit on my home layout. If there’s still some about when I have an exhibition layout up and running however I’ll certainly look to extend this rakes as one of the first!

(quick update; I did have to replace the couplers between the first wagon and the 60 to kadees, as the tensionlocks kept uncoupling after a few loops of the layout. However this I don’t think this is a wagon problem, more of a mix of everything from the 60, the wagons, the Hornby and revolution tension locks being slightly but noticeably different. and my layout being a little bumpy. With kadees fitted they run perfectly)

Edited by Bryn_Bach_Railway
Update
  • Like 4

Managed to pick up a couple of EWS ones from my local model shop yesterday, first looks seem good nice sturdy box will look nice on my 00's Kingsbury layout so that's 10 cavalex, 2 revolution only another 10 to go for the full rake

• Like 3

On 09/12/2023 at 18:54, Bryn_Bach_Railway said:

My 6 in a variety of livery’s did indeed arrive today, and I must say they look brilliant behind a 60!

IMG_8201.jpeg.a7122bd68d6718492bd865f449320567.jpegIMG_8202.jpeg.05c8089497589323334a19896b1720d4.jpegIMG_8203.jpeg.5ddb5b3d73423b820a57668bb3861341.jpeg

there’s no major warping on the walkways on mine (there’s a few with a tiny amount, but it’s not noticeable from a distance and can just be excused as wear and tear on the real things) 

in all honesty I’m very happy. Wish I got more than 6, however that’s all I can fit on my home layout. If there’s still some about when I have an exhibition layout up and running however I’ll certainly look to extend this rakes as one of the first!

(quick update; I did have to replace the couplers between the first wagon and the 60 to kadees, as the tensionlocks kept uncoupling after a few loops of the layout. However this I don’t think this is a wagon problem, more of a mix of everything from the 60, the wagons, the Hornby and revolution tension locks being slightly but noticeably different. and my layout being a little bumpy. With kadees fitted they run perfectly)

This is a problem with the Hornby class 60 couplings. I have changed mine to the Hunt magnetic pivoting coupling and Magnetic couplings on my TEA tanks and the rake runs a treat. Had to go this way as was having problems in my helix of uncoupling and riding tension locks 

• Agree 1

I have to say I was so looking forward to getting my five wagons, then opened them up to find plastic top walkways that are all warped I just couldn’t see why they were not a etched piece they are on the Cavalex ones please I am not knocking how good these wagons are but for what you pay they should have at least straight tank walkways and not warped 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, GBRf 66 The Flying Dustman said:

I have to say I was so looking forward to getting my five wagons, then opened them up to find plastic top walkways that are all warped I just couldn’t see why they were not a etched piece they are on the Cavalex ones please I am not knocking how good these wagons are but for what you pay they should have at least straight tank walkways and not warped 

The catwalks are photo-etched.  There may be the odd very slight undulation (as I have occasionally observed on the prototype) but that is all - if you are unhappy and/or they offend the eye please contact your retailer (or, if you purchased direct, the email address in the instructions) and we will look into this for you.

cheers

Ben A.

2 hours ago, GBRf 66 The Flying Dustman said:

According to the Rapido website the first batch were etched (source: https://rapidotrains.co.uk/vtg-tea-tanker/) - are they plastic now? I've checked the first 2 of my 12 tonight and they are twisted and not sat straight at all. Hopefully the rest are better when I open them tomorrow.

Edited by adamvb

• RMweb Gold

Hello there,

I hope they are better too.

Other than the paint versions and printed numbers these models are identical to the first run.  The catwalks are photo-etched metal.

In transit, especially if they pass through hotter climates, it can be that the metal expands, and may flex slightly.  Almost all of the time as the models cool they self straighten.  

As ever we would kindly ask anyone having trouble to give us the opportunity to sort it (either via your retailer, or direct if you purchased from us) first.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hello there,

I hope they are better too.

Other than the paint versions and printed numbers these models are identical to the first run.  The catwalks are photo-etched metal.

In transit, especially if they pass through hotter climates, it can be that the metal expands, and may flex slightly.  Almost all of the time as the models cool they self straighten.  

As ever we would kindly ask anyone having trouble to give us the opportunity to sort it (either via your retailer, or direct if you purchased from us) first.

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks Ben. Had them all out today and of the 12 I'd say 3 are straight, 5 are a bit warped, and 4 are very warped (see images below - more than just a little undulation and in some places loose from the top of the tank) despite boxes being undamaged and well packaged. Unfortunately Rails of Sheffield have already sold out so I can't get replacements from them.

Are there spare parts available for the walkways? Although if there are I guess they would be difficult to replace/refit? It's a real shame as the ones seen in videos of the first batch (such as St Michaels Hill seem to be really straight around the 11:50 mark - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgkIneuts9M). 

All best

Adam

image.png.edde53f20fd4e98c89f2105043e8223b.pngimage.png.ef7f66fe8e9077d35a3199893e061352.png

image.png.ddc61158a6961e8d5eb161e1924b360a.png

image.png.fa4a6749be838b36a35102fd8380aec3.png

On 13/12/2023 at 00:37, adamvb said:

According to the Rapido website the first batch were etched (source: https://rapidotrains.co.uk/vtg-tea-tanker/) - are they plastic now? I've checked the first 2 of my 12 tonight and they are twisted and not sat straight at all. Hopefully the rest are better when I open them tomorrow.

Well Adam I have looked at mine again tonight and the walkway and the ladders at one end are all 100% plastic you can see the mould lines on the ladders where they have been manufactured they are not etched at all 

Edited by GBRf 66 The Flying Dustman
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, GBRf 66 The Flying Dustman said:

Well Adam I have looked at mine again tonight and the walkway and the ladders at one end are all 100% plastic you can see the mould lines on the ladders where they have been manufactured they are not etched at all 

Hi there,

The ladders are plastic, along with the small support frame for the associated etched platform.   The main walkways along the top are etched.

cheers

Ben A.

On 14/12/2023 at 21:38, GBRf 66 The Flying Dustman said:

I've attempted to resolve via my retailer and Revolution but it looks like I'll have to give up and take the offer of a return and refund from my retailer as no solution from Revolution was forthcoming.

I was considering buying another set from elsewhere but the pictures on Hattons website show the same issues as the Rails photos and my own examples which to me suggests its an issue with the batch which is a shame.

From what I can tell it looks like the issue stems from how the top walkways have been fitted into the holes on the top of the tank (some are not perfectly alligned vertically or at the same 'depth' which caused the warped bits which seem to be under tension and spring up and down if gently touched. Bit of a dissapointment - here's hoping for a third batch in the future that match the finish of the first ones I've seen previously or I'll have try and pick up some first batch ones on eBay.

5 hours ago, adamvb said:

I've attempted to resolve via my retailer and Revolution but it looks like I'll have to give up and take the offer of a return and refund from my retailer as no solution from Revolution was forthcoming.

I was considering buying another set from elsewhere but the pictures on Hattons website show the same issues as the Rails photos and my own examples which to me suggests its an issue with the batch which is a shame.

From what I can tell it looks like the issue stems from how the top walkways have been fitted into the holes on the top of the tank (some are not perfectly alligned vertically or at the same 'depth' which caused the warped bits which seem to be under tension and spring up and down if gently touched. Bit of a dissapointment - here's hoping for a third batch in the future that match the finish of the first ones I've seen previously or I'll have try and pick up some first batch ones on eBay.

Yes it is a shame I have to say as they are really lovely wagons just let down by quality control, I may look into a way of solving the warping but that will come in the new year. 

Like you say a third batch may come along or try to pick up ones from the first batch that didn’t have the warping of plastic walkways 

• Agree 1