The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

UK food shortages/prices/production madness

spikey

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

At this end of the market, they pay up because service levels and reputation is what brings the punters back and builds loyalty and reputation.

At circa £10k per week (everyone was on 2 week itineraries) with the top end suites costing a lot more, they go above and beyond to keep the guests happy.

Supplies are often airfreighted in to the ports en-route.

I am never been interested in cruises as I spent years working on ships, but they are slick operations which find their space in the market. I've been on several to do work when I worked in class, those were giant ships catering to a different segment but they did what they did very well and although it's not my cup of tea I can see why some love going on cruise holidays. Even the big ships put a huge effort into maintaining supplies of food and drink. The cruise segment is an entirely discretionary market, unlike dry and wet bulk or container ships, or Ro-Ro ferry services nobody needs a cruise ship. So if they don't meet the demands of their passengers they will find their bookings dropping. Having seen what goes on behind the scenes it's extremely impressive regardless of whether or not it's what I'd choose to do for a holiday.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Around August 2021 we visited the Chinese supermarket then Costco Liverpool. Whilst loading the car in Costco Carpark we saw a ships funnels above some dockside buildings. That must be a big ship I thought so we drove to have a look. What a monster lay dockside at the newish liner terminal - "The Anthem of the Seas, biggest ship I have ever seen and VERY impressive. With Covid having shut most cruises she was doing round Britain cruises Southampton, Liverpool, Belfast, Greenock (on the Clyde) and back to Southampton - Just under a week cruise for under £700 or so per person. We were tempted but joining / leaving at Southampton was the problem. If we could have joined at Liverpool we would have booked.

image.png.3e31c8120cfbf44ccda11c077c73f3d6.png

image.png.01c082132a86efff3e2784f3174b466d.png

I watched some you tube vids of this ship - very impressive, lots to do (or not) for everyone.

As a lad I would cruise down the Leeds Liverpool canal between locks on the coal barges to Westwood Power Station at Wigan !!!

image.png.5a46236c2a8bf6b7af698e47c1611d76.png

Brit15

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, Apollo, but I'm afraid that these pix of the Anthem of the Seas, especially the second one, filled me with horror.  As I get older so I get less inclined to go anywhere where there may be crowds of people.  That picture reminded me of a beehive and all the little cells.......

Edited by Torper
Typo
  • Agree 8
  • Round of applause 2

5 hours ago, APOLLO said:

As a lad I would cruise down the Leeds Liverpool canal between locks on the coal barges to Westwood Power Station at Wigan !!!

image.png.5a46236c2a8bf6b7af698e47c1611d76.png

...  after which a cruise liner must be always be a big disappointment ...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

3 hours ago, Torper said:

Sorry, Apollo, but I'm afraid that these pix of the Anthem of the Seas, especially the second one, filled me with horror.  As I get older so I get less inclined to go anywhere where there may be crowds of people.  That picture reminded me of a beehive and all the little cells.......

At that time most international cruises were not running. The owners of this ship decided that as Britain was more or less open, and an island, it could keep the ship & staff earning a bit doing a number of cruises around Britain. I believe they ran at very reduced passenger capacity but mask wearing etc was in force. I don't think I would bother either with a full cruise with literally thousands on board either.

The Anthem of the seas is currently under way from Cape Canaveral to the Bahamas. Full of noisy Yanks no doubt !!!!!

https://www.vesselfinder.com/

The only cruise I have ever been on (twice) was on the Chao Phraya Princess down the Chao  Phraya river from Ayutthaya to Bangkok, very leisurely and a fantastic Thai buffet on board. Recommended.

image.png.27f3256475b8dd40e54785122c5822ea.png

image.png.6bec51b24e78ee95b5d157d8925a077a.png

Brit15

• Like 2

Back in 1993 (?) I sailed up the Elbe from Dresden to Bad Schandau on The Dresden

In those days she still burnt proper fuel

image.png.7731c4177d33545529bd352d5238a5a5.png

Due to low water levels there was a river cruise that could not sail above Dresden and the passengers were put on the Dresden.

The scenery was magnificent, a fascinating coal fired historic ship but the cruise passengers stayed in the saloon looking miserable

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Torper said:

4 hours ago, Reorte said:

I can sort of see the appeal of a cruise, but not on anything anywhere near that size. I find that the sight of such things depresses rather than impresses me.

(This topic has become an excellent example of topic drift!)

Our one and only cruise was with Royal Caribbean on one of their ships in service immediately before this class.

You can avoid the crowds, for a time anyway. We had a cabin with an individual balcony. Sitting there with a beverage, watching the flying fish flitting over the waves in the sunset was somewhat pleasant.

And just above water level, there was an around-the-ship walking/jogging track. Right at the stern on this level, there was a small, empty area with a couple of plastic chairs in it. Sitting there, watching the wake stretching away into the distance - very restful.

We enjoyed the experience. It’s a holiday journey that only needs you to unpack once. However, we’ve not gone on another. If we did, we would probably pick one based on the route, rather than going for the actual cruising experience. Repositioning cruises from the Pacific Northwest to the Caribbean, through the Panama Canal (or vice-versa) rather appeal.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Never been on a cruise and the only time we considered it was on this:

https://starclippers.co.uk/our-fleet/tall-ships/star-clipper.html

We were mored next to Star Flyer in St. Maarten and Royal Clipper in Martinique, over the last couple of weeks..

Mrs Ron was not too impressed with the way the Star Flyer was rolling and bobbing about, when tied up alongside.

She said "no way".

If that's how it moved about in port, when tied up, she could only imagine what it would be like out at sea.

No sense of adventure !

IMG_0983.jpeg.9bde7b0fd47692aeaec35ab6290f96ff.jpeg

IMG_0984.jpeg.4054259c6f5a22fc3ae41f08d3eb2575.jpeg

IMG_1020.jpeg.fe334e2d4bd4df63c7140c01e3b01803.jpeg

• Like 7

I have no desire to go on one of those monster cruise ships, like anthem of the seas.

4,100 plus passengers !!!!!

The largest we've been on have a max capacity of 2,800 pax, but were only carrying just over 2,000 on both occasions.

It didn't feel that crowded at all, considering, except in the large buffet restaurant, but there were quieter places to eat.

Royal Caribbean Group own a roster of several cruise lines, with Royal Caribbean International being their mass market brand.

Above that, they have the more upmarket Celebrity Cruises brand (very good) and higher up still, with smaller ships, the more select Silversea Cruises.

Two growth sectors in the cruise industry, are explorer cruises and ultra-posh boutique ships.

Both with small vessels carrying anything from 60 to 150 guests, offering ultra luxury and matching prices.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pH said:

Did you go to watch the takeoffs

https://youtu.be/GqVjD3nBSQg

and landings:

https://youtu.be/g9PMoi6Y7ok

at the airport?

That was the only thing Mrs Ron wanted to do on that island.

So we did.

In the morning we had a walk around. Had a mid morning coffee and later a local beer, before going back to the ship for lunch.

After lunch we took a cab over to Maho Beach to watch the planes.

Unfortunately, despite lots of arrivals, which are very low as they pass over, there were no spectacularly low ones that scared the pants off anyone.

Also, the jet blast from departing aircraft wasn't that dramatic either. We kept well to the side and watched from a position where we wouldn't get sandblasted.

There was only one wide body, an Air France A330-300, which arrived from Paris.

The rest were A319, A320, A321, 737-800 & Max, or Embraer E190's.

Lots of corporate jets and loads of small turboprops on the inter-island flights (Twin Otters, Islanders, PC12's, Cessna 208's).

The procession of these mini-airliners was relentless.

IMG_0976.jpeg.52efa757992d88d7f03ffc5de50291bc.jpeg

IMG_0974.jpeg.27ec9b586a49820ac32395055c862af2.jpeg

IMG_0973.jpeg.adb23f261871ebcf99e15eb68c972b6e.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

On cruise ship size, it's interesting that Disney bought Global Dream from the remains of Genting, which is a massive increase in size over their current ships. I suspect the price was so low they decided it was a good way to test a new segment and onboard offering.

• Like 1

On 24/03/2023 at 00:07, Ron Ron Ron said:

IMG_0976.jpeg.52efa757992d88d7f03ffc5de50291bc.jpeg

What should crop up in my YouTube feed today but a video about an incident where the pilots mistook that hotel in the backgorund for the runway.

On 23/03/2023 at 13:54, Reorte said:

I can sort of see the appeal of a cruise, but not on anything anywhere near that size. I find that the sight of such things depresses rather than impresses me.

I am impressed by those big cruise ships, I think they are beautiful, magnificent pieces of engineering.

But I agree I would never want to use one.  I would much rather do something like a Rhine cruise - where you would get to see scenery all around you, and necessarily in a smaller vessel, rather than being confined in a pigeon hole with a rather monotonous grey view of the open sea and mass catering courtesy of an army of flunkies.

At the risk of appearing sexist, I believe their target market is really the wives, who can attach some sort of significance to "sitting at the Captain's table", perhaps it's the uniforms.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

12 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

At the risk of appearing sexist, I believe their target market is really the wives, who can attach some sort of significance to "sitting at the Captain's table", perhaps it's the uniforms.

The prospect of being forced to have dinner with an endless parade of passengers is why I never became a sea captain.

14 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

.......At the risk of appearing sexist, I believe their target market is really the wives, who can attach some sort of significance to "sitting at the Captain's table", perhaps it's the uniforms.

That's old hat and doesn't happen on most cruise ships these days.

Mostly it's a choice of dining, at different on-board restaurants.

Sometimes, there's an additional cost to dine in some venues.

The upmarket ship we've just been on, only required reservations in the "flagship" restaurant (at no extra cost).

Otherwise you could eat at any of the other places.

In all venues, you were allocated a table for the number in your party, as you arrived, just as in most land based eateries .

Most nights we had a table for two, but we dined with another couple we met on-board, on two nights.

You are not required to sit with other people you don't know, or anything like that.

The short 5 night pre-Christmas cruise we did in December, had allocated tables in allocated dining rooms, unless you booked to eat in the specialty restaurant; but that was very "old school" (cheap Fred Olsen).

We were a party of 4, but were seated with another couple from East Anglia on our table for 6.

The 4 of us ate in the Asian specialty restaurant on 2 nights and the other couple on another night, so we only ate with them on 2 nights

Dining these days is usually mostly "smart casual" , with some ships retaining one optional "formal" night, in the larger venues.

You can usually avoid the formal, by dining elsewhere, if you prefer.

We've done 5 sea cruises so far, over the last 6 years and not once was there a "Captains table" situation.

Usually the Captain and senior officers (both bridge and hotel) will "host" a drinks reception, once a week, prior to dinner, or mid-evening.

On some lines, these are only for people who are at a certain level in the loyalty scheme.

Go down to the "mass market" cruise liners and it's a totally different kettle of fish.

There are Burger bars, Pizzerias etc, as well as other types of restaurants ....the latest Virgin Ships have Tattoo and Piercing  parlours !!!!!!

Mmmmm? No comments on that required.

They can keep it.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I am impressed by those big cruise ships, I think they are beautiful, magnificent pieces of engineering.

Even the engineering doesn't impress any more, I know we can build huge things, it's just a matter of money. Admittedly I don't know anything about the engineering of such things, and I find it's easier to be impressed by something if I already know a little about it. And beauty is obviously subjective so let's just say it's obvious we've got different ideas of what is!

4 hours ago, Reorte said:

Even the engineering doesn't impress any more, I know we can build huge things, it's just a matter of money.

Well I suppose modern cruise ships are perhaps rather less technically challenging than the last ship I saw launched (the Esso Northumbria 250,000 tons at Wallsend half a century ago - my cousin was working for Swan Hunter at the time), but their lines strike me as more graceful than a crude oil tanker, however practical for its purpose. 

On 26/03/2023 at 16:54, Ron Ron Ron said:

That's old hat and doesn't happen on most cruise ships these days.

Mostly it's a choice of dining, at different on-board restaurants.

Sometimes, there's an additional cost to dine in some venues.

The upmarket ship we've just been on, only required reservations in the "flagship" restaurant (at no extra cost).

Otherwise you could eat at any of the other places.

In all venues, you were allocated a table for the number in your party, as you arrived, just as in most land based eateries .

Most nights we had a table for two, but we dined with another couple we met on-board, on two nights.

You are not required to sit with other people you don't know, or anything like that.

The short 5 night pre-Christmas cruise we did in December, had allocated tables in allocated dining rooms, unless you booked to eat in the specialty restaurant; but that was very "old school" (cheap Fred Olsen).

We were a party of 4, but were seated with another couple from East Anglia on our table for 6.

The 4 of us ate in the Asian specialty restaurant on 2 nights and the other couple on another night, so we only ate with them on 2 nights

Dining these days is usually mostly "smart casual" , with some ships retaining one optional "formal" night, in the larger venues.

You can usually avoid the formal, by dining elsewhere, if you prefer.

We've done 5 sea cruises so far, over the last 6 years and not once was there a "Captains table" situation.

Usually the Captain and senior officers (both bridge and hotel) will "host" a drinks reception, once a week, prior to dinner, or mid-evening.

On some lines, these are only for people who are at a certain level in the loyalty scheme.

Go down to the "mass market" cruise liners and it's a totally different kettle of fish.

There are Burger bars, Pizzerias etc, as well as other types of restaurants ....the latest Virgin Ships have Tattoo and Piercing  parlours !!!!!!

Mmmmm? No comments on that required.

They can keep it.

That honestly sounds like my idea of hell. Thankfully we're all different with different tastes and likes.

• RMweb Premium
On 26/03/2023 at 23:51, Michael Hodgson said:

Well I suppose modern cruise ships are perhaps rather less technically challenging than the last ship I saw launched (the Esso Northumbria 250,000 tons at Wallsend half a century ago - my cousin was working for Swan Hunter at the time), but their lines strike me as more graceful than a crude oil tanker, however practical for its purpose. 

Personally speaking I can't say I've found "graceful" applies to any ship not powered by sails, not that I'd want to do a long voyage on anything that (only) was!