RMweb

UK food shortages/prices/production madness

spikey

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, friscopete said:

According to Russian commentators /propagandista /spivs we are resorting to eating squirrels.

Well, of course we do! It's one of the principal ingredients of a well-known chocolate confectionary! 

"What has a hazelnut in every bite?.......

On a more serious note, my ongoing, purely personal view is that it's profiteering, pure & simple.  "Can't buy tomatoes? Well, we can, but it's going to cost you".

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Anyway, I went to one of our local supermarkets, just for some top-ups.  In the middle aisle, I managed to buy or purchase:-

Left-handed door handles,

Pogo sticks, with instructions in Swahili,

Angolan telephone directory (1987)

Self-assembly sandwich kit (  contents not specified),

Euphonium,

Easter Island eggs.

Universal tennis racket,

Fluorescent bubbles for spirit levels 

Such a choice!

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

When I was very little there was a scheme in the New Forest to try and reduce the problem of damage to newly planted trees caused by squirrels so they introduced a scheme called "Bob a nob" under which you would be paid a shilling for every squirrel you provided evidence of having killed.  This had to be auditable, but they didn't want to have to keep a pile of rotting corpses - so you had to hand in just the tail.  One chap who would never harm a little furry creature had a squirrel run across the road in front of his car.  When he stopped, he found the he had severed and flattened its tail so he could claim his shilling with a clear conscience as the squirrel had run off without its tail!

Round here, we don't have red squirrels, we have black ones (and greys).

How long was it after that was introduced that the first squirrel farm was found?

• Funny 1

33 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

I refuse to comment on Gary Linneker in any way, shape or form. After all, I'm not involved.

However, I do wonder about the supply of crisps.....

Stock up now!

Walkers might not be as "sensitive" as the BBC...

• RMweb Premium
On 11/03/2023 at 05:29, tomparryharry said:

I refuse to comment on Gary Linneker in any way, shape or form. After all, I'm not involved.

However, I do wonder about the supply of crisps.....

Stock up now!

Isn't not being involved indirectly being involved though?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mark Saunders said:

Is it the same size as last year or the same price but smaller?

In that case, both, I'm afraid. I used to go to Iceland, as I'm partial to Lorne sausage. sad to say the pack of 10, is now a pack of eight, with an increase in price as well. 

Returning to the original gist of this thread.

Mrs Ron and I have just returned from 2 weeks floating around the Caribbean on a very luxurious cruise ship.

All-inclusive, Champagne and Caviar served from a floating bar at a beach party, type of thing.

There was the usual abundance of superb food, particularly evident in the buffet style restaurant (one of 5 restaurant choices)......

However, they appeared to start running out of certain things.

From day one, apart from all the different types of fresh fruit....there were no Bananas.

No Bananas...in the F****** Caribbean !!!

They couldn't get them apparently.

That's not all.

Certain types of alcoholic drinks started to run out, particularly the vintage and premium labels.

Some foodstuffs also were limited or were not available on some days.

Don't misunderstand me, the amount and quality of food was amazing and there was more than ample available, but there were those individual items that were, or went "missing".

Bananas did turn up for a few days, mid-cruise and then vanished again.

We spoke with a couple of bar and restaurant managers, over the course of the two weeks, sometimes joking about no Bananas etc, and they were quite candid about the difficulties all the cruise lines were having in provisioning this winter season.

All of them were having to work around the shortages of certain food and drink items.

It appears that it's affecting the hotels on the islands as well.

It seemed to us to be further evidence that supply chain problems, in whatever shape or form and in various sectors of the economy, are still affecting people right across a much larger part of the globe, than our myopic rubbish press would have us believe.

Went shopping this morning.

Bought eggs at the greengrocers (loads available) and....Bananas !

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Certain types of alcoholic drinks started to run out, particularly the vintage and premium labels.

That's what we tell house guests when they're drinking too much good stuff. 😉

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Mrs Ron and I have just returned from 2 weeks floating around the Caribbean on a very luxurious cruise ship.

All-inclusive, Champagne and Caviar served from a floating bar at a beach party, type of thing.

There was the usual abundance of superb food, particularly evident in the buffet style restaurant (one of 5 restaurant choices)......

From day one, apart from all the different types of fresh fruit....there were no Bananas.

That's not all.

Don't misunderstand me, the amount and quality of food was amazing and there was more than ample available, but there were those individual items that were, or went "missing".

We spoke with a couple of bar and restaurant managers, over the course of the two weeks, sometimes joking about no Bananas etc, and they were quite candid about the difficulties all the cruise lines were having in provisioning this winter season.

All of them were having to work around the shortages of certain food and drink items.

It seemed to us to be further evidence that supply chain problems, in whatever shape or form and in various sectors of the economy, are still affecting people right across a much larger part of the globe, than our myopic rubbish press would have us believe.

Totally off topic, but for some bizarre reason I thought I was reading the jokes thread, and was starting to wonder just what punchline this was heading towards.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Reorte said:

Totally off topic, but for some bizarre reason I thought I was reading the jokes thread, and was starting to wonder just what punchline this was heading towards.

Well, you've got to laugh, haven't you?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

That's not all.

But how much was the greengrocer charging?

Cruse shipping lines, (like big supermarkets, big hotel chains, etc) usually have limits as to how much they will pay for supplies - if the price goes beyond what the company is prepared to shell out then the items won't be stocked (with the usual supply chain issues' nonsense troted out. Got to make sure shareholders profits aren't adversely affected for fear of upsetting the Gamblers and Spivs which prowl the stock market...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phil-b259 said:

But how much was the greengrocer charging?

Cruse shipping lines, (like big supermarkets, big hotel chains, etc) usually have limits as to how much they will pay for supplies - if the price goes beyond what the company is prepared to shell out then the items won't be stocked (with the usual supply chain issues' nonsense troted out. Got to make sure shareholders profits aren't adversely affected for fear of upsetting the Gamblers and Spivs which prowl the stock market...

At this end of the market, they pay up because service levels and reputation is what brings the punters back and builds loyalty and reputation.

At circa £10k per week (everyone was on 2 week itineraries) with the top end suites costing a lot more, they go above and beyond to keep the guests happy.

Supplies are often airfreighted in to the ports en-route.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

My idea of Hell!🙂

No crowds, being a smaller more exclusive vessel, very laid back and relaxing, personal service, no skimping on anything, lots of nice fellow passengers etc.

Despite my mild reticence about cruising (we've done 4 previously), this was far from Hell.

It was wonderful.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

No crowds, being a smaller more exclusive vessel, very laid back and relaxing, personal service, no skimping on anything, lots of nice fellow passengers etc.

Despite my mild reticence about cruising (we've done 4 previously), this was far from Hell.

It was wonderful.

Smaller would still be too big.

About 10 max suits us fine.

Bananas?

Just go ashore in the Zodiac and pick a bunch.

Bernard

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, AY Mod said:

That's what we tell house guests when they're drinking too much good stuff. 😉

Been there, done that. You think people you know will behave sensibly - and then discover they are drinking your Hine Antique - with lemonade!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1