HST - XC & GWR sets gone by the end of the year

Me and Mrs Rivercider have returned from a long weekend stay down in Cornwall, we travelled throughout by train.

Our four hour journey down from Weston to Hayle was in a 5-car IET, which now seems to be the diagrammed traction for that service. 5-car IETs having taken over a number of these long distance workings many of which are more than five and a half hours total duration. Our return through service back up from Hayle on Monday was in a Castle Class HST which was good. 

The services we most often use when travelling from Weston to and from Devon or Cornwall are normally the 

through GWR services from Cardiff/Bristol/Gloucester to/from Penzance. (Cross Country seldom service Weston, and seem to have largely given up on Cornwall). Sadly there is no catering on these domestic semi-fast services, but fortunately class 150s and 158s now seem to be rare on such lengthy journeys,

cheers 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I saw a GW power car heading up the A38 this lunchtime, as heading home from Kingsteignton, I wondered if it was surplus to requirements at Laira.

Yes, GWR have released 3 PCs for scrap and they’ll go to SIMS at Newport .

The nominated locomotives are apparently 43005 43041 & 43171

from reports elsewhere, it was 041 moving by road today

a couple of power door fitted MK3s made the same, final, journey last week

Edited by black and decker boy
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

50 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

From my observations over the past couple of years 43005 & 43041 had the large bodyside 'GWR' logos in raised cast alloy instead of the usual '3D-effect' vinyl stickers. I believe 43188 still in service (AFAIK) also has them - is, or was, there another one, to make up two pairs? Were these the 'Castle' launch PCs and was 43041 paired with 43188, as these two have (had) their running numbers unusually applied to the sliding rear doors instead of the cabsides?

Just for the record......

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

From Facebook, the transporter hauling 43041 broke down on Haldon Hill east of Exeter,

cheers

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

To summarise:

43187 and 43188 were the launch pair for the green livery and carry the cast logos. 

43041 and 43005 were the next to go green and also got the cast logos.

These 4 power cars also have the number on the sliding door.

All subsequent green power cars gained stickers for the logo, and the number was applied to the cab side.

43005 subsequently had its number moved to the cabside, the other original 3 haven't.

The 3 GWR green 57s also carry cast logos, 57604 carrying steam style livery so not fitted.

So in theory there's 7 sets of cast logos that have been in service.

Jo

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

I like to think I might have had a small part to play in moving the numbers back to the cabs.  When the first four PCs appeared with the numbers on the sliding doors I pointed out to Mr H that it made it difficult to see the numbers in photos.  His reply was that the scheme had been created by designers and was not done with "trainspotters" in mind.  A bit rich coming from him I thought and said so.  Shortly after, further repaints started appearing with the cabside numbers.

One of the issues with the cast alloy monograms was that they needed a lot of TLC at terminals to keep them presentable.  🙂

D-BR-3305_GWR43187Paddington21-9-15.jpg.15c1d1f5079c2b98441bcafe24f400f0.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Mike_Walker said:

One of the issues with the cast alloy monograms was that they needed a lot of TLC at terminals to keep them presentable.  🙂

Every driver issued with T-Cut and Mr Sheen?

Jo

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

• 2 months later...

Is the demise of the XC HSTs imminent, then? By chance, I happened to have the need to be in Derby today at a time that suited being on 1V50; currently enjoying the company of 43303/304. Clearly enthusiasts travelling plus photographers at stations.

A bit appeared to fall off it north of York (either that or we hit something?), but doesn't seem to be impeding progress.

PXL_20230914_071113960.jpg

• Like 4

This is the last normal week of XC service. Had police and staff photographing them at Temple Meads a week or two back.

20230828_094126.jpg.e95cf17f1f09ba62882e02fc69612e9f.jpg

Monday 18th is the last day in public service, diverting via Westbury. 

GWR now down to 3 diagrams as of this week, but predictably some days have seen more out to gap fill.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

It only seems like yesterday that I watched the first NE/SW service (Cross-Country to you youngsters) worked by an HST arrive at Derby on a Bristol - Leeds service in October 1981. Radio Derby were on hand to record the scene., on a dull,grey morning.
So almost 42 years service on that route - much longer than the Peaks and Jubilees before them.

Now where did I put my glasses?

Here's a shot from way back when.

Melbourne Junction, Peartree

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Like 11

23 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Is the demise of the XC HSTs imminent, then? By chance, I happened to have the need to be in Derby today at a time that suited being on 1V50; currently enjoying the company of 43303/304. Clearly enthusiasts travelling plus photographers at stations.

A bit appeared to fall off it north of York (either that or we hit something?), but doesn't seem to be impeding progress.

PXL_20230914_071113960.jpg

Appears to have been serious enough that it’s been stopped on Neville Hill overnight and a 221 is working todays diagram.

I happened to be at New yesterday when these came in. A lot of staff getting photos & video of the departure.

IMG_6116.jpeg.8000acf93b8041208b53f3e7d574757c.jpeg

IMG_6121.jpeg.c9d9126de470b4d9393d783d3c3f3638.jpeg

various Castle sets now in warm store including 2 at the West Somerset Railway.

Export to Mexico still appears likely for quite a few more sets (sliding doors stock) from what’s been written elsewhere.

Edited by black and decker boy
Extra info
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

Post script.

PXL_20230914_093613285.jpg.fb5af195225f8b8495bea1126a639ac1.jpg

Derby 14.9.23

PXL_20230916_083151318.jpg.86fb6e2b09327d75b09fa31aa236d9cb.jpg

Derby c.1987. Quite a bit changed.

Oh, hang on - that's a MML HST ...

PXL_20230916_083131584.jpg.dd1c40f789f7a07826fbb087d308aed9.jpg

Here's a XC one from that era.

Didn't photo them very much at that time. HSTs were boring; loco-haul was much more interesting. Funny how the passage of time changes one' perception.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3