Playcraft 0-4-0

locomad2

Acquired a Playcraft 0-4-0 recently working and complete, I have a few bodies but never had a chassis

20230304_231323.jpg.1f86ad8df2d79287dc96f2c0e90b386c.jpg

Opening it up quite surprised with the size of the  can motor, plus quite solid  brass gears axles etc 

20230304_231450.jpg.ebb92e010162313a6ca0e966da769f84.jpg

Wheels are good too, tyres are brass too

20230304_231520.jpg.8b2c838651ac99b399c5fb99b56fc4f1.jpg

Runs very well taking very low voltage 3.2v and very low amps 0.01, ok on peco 100 points and doesn't tend to stall on insolfrog. 

Considering its about 50 years old it's in good condition it's outlasted many more expensive and more detailed locos expect it will continue to do so, yet purchased at a very low price, seems no-one interested in them

Remember well this loco causing quite a stir in the Model press in early 1970's in days before mass media, YouTube, Facebook forums, etc,  they almost had a monopoly on reviews. Consumer magazine "Which" did a review on model railways and described it as excellent value for money and very realistic "British outline model". At the time my father subscribed to "Which" and promptly cancelled subscription.

• Like 6
  • Funny 5

With a light oil and clean, shiny wheels, they can make shunting interesting! A nice, flywheel, action. I'm surprised the chassis does not appear under any scratch built, narrow gauge models? Or, with a change of body, more standard gauge loco's or railcars. Everyone should try one at least once!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have a pair of these,  one clockwork & one electric, also consider the electric chassis remarkable for its free running nature although mine is missing the spur gear so its 2-wheel drive..

Given that its based on a USATC 0-6-0 tank the accuracy is somewhat wanting....

If anyone wants them LMK....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, locomad2 said:

Acquired a Playcraft 0-4-0 recently working and complete, I have a few bodies but never had a chassis

Remember well this loco causing quite a stir in the Model press in early 1970's in days before mass media,

More likely the early '60s as Playcraft Railways ceased in 1969. After that it did reappear here as a Jouef model, I believe. It was, of course, made by Jouef in the first place.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have one of these too and the flywheel effect of the big motor and the crown and pinion gears make it a beautiful runner even if the appearance is a bit suspect. I've often wondered if it would be possible to build a more 'scale' body for it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

More likely the early '60s as Playcraft Railways ceased in 1969. After that it did reappear here as a Jouef model, I believe. It was, of course, made by Jouef in the first place.

I've done some research and your right it's early 60's, apparently sold RRP 35/- but often cheaper and in sets.

Over 2 Million made. the motor is a M40 "large sausage" type (translation from French).

As mentioned remarkable free running, hence doesn't stall on points etc like most 0-4-0 models, extremely low current, apparently could be run on 4.5v batteries, assume due to a large fly wheel inside the can. If you suddenly cut the current it still travels a few inches with the wheels revolving so stopping at speed is challenging. Grandkids will love it.

Will be looking for a few more, 2 chassis without the connecting rods would make interesting bogies for Bo-Bo diesels with added weight

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

The 1960s version of the NBL Type 2 (later Class 21/29) also used a similar drive (to both bogies) with similar, free running results. I suspect it was used in a lot of 1960s Jouef models as the NBL bogies were French in outline.

As an aside, that really was a 00/H0 model: H0 length and 00 width!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

I always thought they were a 'look alike, but not very' of something SNCF. I've a couple of green clockwork ones. Occasionally they get wound up and let go.

Painting the buffer* beam red improves the appearance immensely.

*I won't translate this!

I've a Jouef French* Pacific with the flyweel motor in a drawer, in need of TLC, but way down the list. Elle marche, mais....

* As in she's clearly French, but of indefinite antecedents.

EDIT

This one:

http://lestrainsjouef.free.fr/en/vap_fra/231c_sncf.html

Mine is the black plastic effort.

Edited by Il Grifone
"thought" that got lost in translation (normal!)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 33C said:

Snap them up quick before they become "L@@K!, RARE!".....

Being curious, I had a look on ebay, a very clean electric one with "Hornby Dublo" coupling was listed for £12.50 plus delivery and was sold as I was looking at it!  Two green clockwork ones are listed at £5 and £9.50, the cheaper has a rather bent Triang style coupling, the more expensive a HD coupling. 

Finally, Gostude has an electric one, with a missing central spur gear, so its 2 wheel drive and Triang couplings for £34.50. But thats Gostude for you*....

* See Ebay Madness passim....

Edited by Hroth
Mechanical update...
  • Like 2
  • Funny 3

The Jouef Nord Pacific with the big can motor is a lovely mover. Just bought 5 wagon lit sleepers to match for a "Night Ferry" vibe! Which reminds me, I must motorise my Kitmaster French mountain 4.8.2.....

9 hours ago, Captain Slough said:

United States Army Transport Corps S100 class, also known as Southern Railway "USA" Tank

300px-SR_USA_0-6-0T_30073_Eastleigh_MPD_70D,_August_1966_(9969640295).jpg

You know how it is, you get a cheapo loco and then......

20201013_023856.jpg

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

My first train set when I as four (1964) had one of them and the North British diesel. With the playcraft controller they were both quite controllable.

A few years later Dad bought me a 2nd hand Triang Princess Elizabeth as compo for a hospital stay. It wouldn’t run with the Playcraft controller so it was another trip to Sheila Hames shop in Reginald Street, Derby for a second hand controller. 

Now the Princess ran but the Playcraft engines now had just one speed somewhere close to warp 10. I suspect the Playcraft controller current limited in some way.

• Like 1

You'll find there are various variations on this and the NBL & the 0-4-0  shunter chassis.

These are what I know of:

Large can, brass wheels & all wheel drive is earliest.

Later variants have drive to one set of wheels only (bogie in the NBL case). Usually silver wheels, I presume Nickel silver.

Final variants have a motor similar to the X04, shared with the Jouef Class 40. Single wheel drive on this. Silver wheels again.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 hours ago, ngtrains.com said:

My first train set when I as four (1964) had one of them and the North British diesel. With the playcraft controller they were both quite controllable.

A few years later Dad bought me a 2nd hand Triang Princess Elizabeth as compo for a hospital stay. It wouldn’t run with the Playcraft controller so it was another trip to Sheila Hames shop in Reginald Street, Derby for a second hand controller. 

Now the Princess ran but the Playcraft engines now had just one speed somewhere close to warp 10. I suspect the Playcraft controller current limited in some way.

It will be the source resistance in the Controller, Tri-ang X.04s (etc,) draw somthing over half an amp on full load, whereas the Jouef motors require rather less, Their pulling power reflects this.

The answer is a variable transformer controller or some complicated transistor device.

2 hours ago, leezer3 said:

You'll find there are various variations on this and the NBL & the 0-4-0  shunter chassis.

These are what I know of:

Large can, brass wheels & all wheel drive is earliest.

Later variants have drive to one set of wheels only (bogie in the NBL case). Usually silver wheels, I presume Nickel silver.

Final variants have a motor similar to the X04, shared with the Jouef Class 40. Single wheel drive on this. Silver wheels again.

There must have been a transitional phase, as the one I saw on ebay yesterday (before it went!) had the large can motor, the spur gear for all-wheel drive but it had silver wheels rather than brass.

@33C

20201013_023856.jpg.b2c47c50fc7100d88477

Yours scrubs up well!

Edited by Hroth
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Hroth said:

There must have been a transitional phase, as the one I saw on ebay yesterday (before it went!) had the large can motor, the spur gear for all-wheel drive but it had silver wheels rather than brass.

@33C

20201013_023856.jpg.b2c47c50fc7100d88477

Yours scrubs up well!

Cheers! Paper clip handrails and a repaint lifts it up,  and shunting is fun...

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1