Harrogate Show Friday 10th & Sat 11th March 2023 25+ layouts Ft.... Heaton Lodge

Hairy Bear Digital

The advanced tickets for this show are referred to as 'Early Bird' tickets, but don't signify that you can get in earlier than the standard opening tine of 10am. 

Can you get in earlier with these advanced tickets?

Officlal web site but not really any more details https://www.theeventsoffice.com/ and the list of layouts is indicated there also as being incomplete.  Possibly will be even more so given the weather forecast and expect Saturday morning could still be a case of layouts etc being set up when it opens.  £15 seems a touch steep IMO.

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Officlal web site but not really any more details https://www.theeventsoffice.com/ and the list of layouts is idicated there also as being incomplete.  Possibly will be even more so given the weather forecast and expect Saturday morning could still be a case of layouts etc being set up when it opens.  £15 seems a touch steep IMO.

However it is actually two shows...However, if you only wanted one part!

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the size and scope of both parts of the show, I think the entry price is pretty reasonable.

Unless the weather gets drastically worse over the rest of today and overnight, I will be going tomorrow.

The early bird ticket option seems to have gone now but when I looked a few days ago, I think it may have said that it allowed entry at 9.30 rather than 10.00am.

Hope to make it up too, providing the trains from London can get through.

I see from the website that the courtesy bus is now only from the Sainsbury's on the edge of the site. You need to get a local bus from Harrogate station to there.

Regards,

Dan

Multiple cancellations and route closures across West Yorkshire and points south, mostly due to traincrew unable to get in but there are a few trees and points failures as well. There is no alternative road transport running. The M62 is only just open around Rochdale and Huddersfield with long delays. 

It's actually thawing here and has stopped snowing (about 10 miles from Harrogate) but I'm not even going to attempt to venture out until after lunch.   

Superb show. Thanks to all for putting it on. Heaton Lodge Junction is really worth seeing. Makes my o gauge set up look like a table top layout. 

But the model engineering side of the show has some amazing things to see. Trains, boats and planes plus tanks, tractors, traction engines, diggers and dumpers. 

If you are after tools, really worth browsing the stalls. Some good buys to be had. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I looked at the weather this morning and chickened out. 3 hours later the sun was shining and the snow was disappearing fast but it was too late to make it worthwhile going.

I hope the weather hasn't hit the attendance too hard as it sounds like a very good show indeed.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Made it to the show this morning then got stuck in one of the slightly sloping car parks. (Rear wheel drive and wide tyres really not a clever choice) A massive thank you to the three kind gentlemen who assisted in getting me back to the road. The main carpark beyond the hall was clear of snow and ice thankfully. The show itself was excellent and good value for money I thought. HLJ is very impressive, the nearest thing to actual trainspotting I have ever seen on a layout and very atmospheric. There were some excellent layouts on show around the hall and a decent number of traders, especially for the model engineers. Highly recommended if you can make it tomorrow.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I looked at the weather this morning and chickened out. 3 hours later the sun was shining and the snow was disappearing fast but it was too late to make it worthwhile going.

I hope the weather hasn't hit the attendance too hard as it sounds like a very good show indeed.

I got there, after an unexplained half-hour delay in a stationary queue just after 7.30am on the A180 between Immingham and Barnetby . There was a lot of space for the public in the show - I wonder if many potential visitors were put off by yesterday's early morning weather?  I hope the organisers's finances haven't been wrecked by low attendance, as I thought the combination of model engineering and model railways made it a good show, even if some of the usual model railway trade was lacking, as the model engineering trade suppliers seemed to me to be offering a much more impressive range of tools, metals, miniature nuts, bolts etc than is typical at model railway shows - and I suspect the quality and price options may have been greater too.

At least I managed to pass on the item I had taken with me for A. N. Other.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, gr.king said:

I got there, after an unexplained half-hour delay in a stationary queue just after 7.30am on the A180 between Immingham and Barnetby . There was a lot of space for the public in the show - I wonder if many potential visitors were put off by yesterday's early morning weather?  I hope the organisers's finances haven't been wrecked by low attendance, as I thought the combination of model engineering and model railways made it a good show, even if some of the usual model railway trade was lacking, as the model engineering trade suppliers seemed to me to be offering a much more impressive range of tools, metals, miniature nuts, bolts etc than is typical at model railway shows - and I suspect the quality and price options may have been greater too.

At least I managed to pass on the item I had taken with me for A. N. Other.

As I understand it, the model engineering part of the show was the one that used to be held at Doncaster Racecourse. I used to attend whenever I could, although it usually clashed with EXPO EM so that wasn't very often. I agree with you about the trade side of model engineering. For those of us who don't go to shows wanting to buy RTR models but are more interested in making things, the ranges and availability of materials and tools are superb. They usually have some rather good modelling on show too, although not usually in "our" sizes. 

Edited by t-b-g
Spelling
  • Like 1

Had a drive up there yesterday in the slush, quite a nice run past Harewood.

Anyone who thought £15 was too much missed a damn good value for money show.  Plenty of different scales and gauges eras and areas of interest for everyone.  Plenty of space to view and enjoy everything.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Good show but absolutely awful for access by public transport. Buses from the station only once an hour or so, and they dump you over a mile away with no pavements and little signage to where you need to go. I'll be avoiding anything at this venue in the future.

1 hour ago, Ian_M said:

Good show but absolutely awful for access by public transport. Buses from the station only once an hour or so, and they dump you over a mile away with no pavements and little signage to where you need to go. I'll be avoiding anything at this venue in the future.

I heard that there was supposed to be an additional dedicated bus service (vintage??) but the exceptional weather put paid to that.

1 hour ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Was a good day out at the show with plenty to see,£16.00 for two teas and bits of cake was a bit of a sickener but hey ho

Fully expecting "captive audience" gross overpricing at most big-event catering facilities, I have long made a habit of going to the very little trouble involved in taking my own home-made sandwiches, fruit, choccy wafer and bottle of water. It doesn't hurt at all, and my wallet feels greatly relieved.

Edited by gr.king

9 hours ago, gr.king said:

I hope the organisers's finances haven't been wrecked by low attendance, as I thought the combination of model engineering and model railways made it a good show, even if some of the usual model railway trade was lacking,

The usual model railway trade may not of been there because 4 weeks ago it was BRM Doncaster & in 4 weeks Its York Show so doing 3 large shows been so close in distance to each other would not be gain enough extra sales to cover attending a 3rd show this is why 247 Developments did not attend

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Ian_M said:

The major events there,  Flower Show, Great Yokshire Show have a bus service from the town centre.

Thre are actually two buses a hour on Saturdays to the Sainsburys entrance to the showgound albeit only 15 mins apart currently and then nothing for 45 min; different operators  - Transdev Harrogate 7 and Connexions X70. Pre covid it was every 15 mins . Only an hourly 7 on a Sunday.

The actual location is a mile walk from Hornbeam Park station which is a better option promoted for the mjaor shows than the 7/X70 bus and walk

• Like 1

Enjoyed my trip to Harrogate today, thought the show was really good, helped alot by the presence of HLJ but the mix of model railway and model engineering made for a great show.  

As said above the lack of  model railway traders, and quality of what was there was a bit disappointing.

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, JRSS said:

Enjoyed my trip to Harrogate today, thought the show was really good, helped alot by the presence of HLJ but the mix of model railway and model engineering made for a great show.  

As said above the lack of  model railway traders, and quality of what was there was a bit disappointing.

Poor Mick from Durham trains of Stanley,he had a good bit there and he discounts at shows,he has what most sell and trys his best to please,tell him you own a dalek and he will do backflips.