The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Endeavour

didcot

Having been an avid Morse, Lewis and Endeavour fan I find myself some what melancholic with the impending final episode due Sunday. 

I think of Morse as the thinking, drinking Man's copper. I must admit to having a pint to lubricate the grey matter before my HND exams. But it's going to leave a bit of a hole in my viewing, especially as it local to me.

Morse even visited Didcot Railway Centre. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Its the perennial problem with prequels.

You introduce the "new" Endeavour, and as he develops through one or more series, the actor inevitably getting older as the tale progresses, you inevitably approach the point where the timeline will encroach on the timeline of the original story.

Then you can either bow out gracefully or say to the actor "do you want a job for life", and if the answer is yes, then you start remaking all the Morse episodes...

• Like 1

Given the off-the-scale nastiness of the people that Morse, Thursday, Strange and Bright are attempting to grapple with, we're running a small sweepstake here on which of Thursday and Bright don't make it to the end of the final episode - with side bets on the newly-reappeared DS Jakes (aka "Little Pete" - I wonder if any of the Premium Bonds that Morse gave him as a going-away present ever paid out?)

I'm also wondering whether there is a body to be discovered in Box's office, given the gunshots and him subsequently fleeing to South Africa.

But yes, it will feel like a bit of a loss when the series finally comes to an end, and it looks very like it's not going to end well for some of the regular characters that don't appear in Morse.

BTW, did anyone pick up what I took to be references to other TV detective series in the last episode?  The stolen car was a Triumph Stag - I suspect a reference to New Tricks - and someone, possibly Bright, did utter the phrase "line of duty" at one point.  I'm sure there must have been others (a sneaky "between the lines" slipped in there somewhere maybe?)  It's well known that Russell Lewis does like to include a few "easter eggs" in each series: https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/endeavours-morse-callbacks-and-colin-dexter-easter-eggs/

Edited by ejstubbs

Surely Thursday* must be in line for retirement soon, it would be cruel and unnecessary to bump him off!  Some subsidiary characters may not end happily, but I don't see the need for any to be terminated with extreme prejudice, that they don't appear in Morse isn't a problem, retirement, other postings in Thames Valley and so on is quite adequate.

I really must get around to watching the last few Endeavours, I've recorded them, its just making the time....

* Though he's not as bad as Vera, who should have retired long ago!  At least Sgt Cawood in Happy Valley had a sensible retirement...

6 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Surely Thursday* must be in line for retirement soon, it would be cruel and unnecessary to bump him off!  Some subsidiary characters may not end happily, but I don't see the need for any to be terminated with extreme prejudice, that they don't appear in Morse isn't a problem, retirement, other postings in Thames Valley and so on is quite adequate.

I really must get around to watching the last few Endeavours, I've recorded them, its just making the time....

* Though he's not as bad as Vera, who should have retired long ago!  At least Sgt Cawood in Happy Valley had a sensible retirement...

How old is Sgt Dixon these days?

• Funny 3

I'm wondering if the marriage between Jim & Joan will somehow get called off. Can't help but feel for Morse on that score. But as others have said some of the main characters might not make it to the end of the episode. 

There is a documentary about the series following the 10pm news on Sunday. 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

BTW, did anyone pick up what I took to be references to other TV detective series in the last episode?

They were probably too busy shouting at the relentless "inspiration" from A Clockwork Orange. The toffs wearing masks beating up a tramp, and later scene of them in a car could have been lifted from the film of the book.

15 minutes ago, didcot said:

But as others have said some of the main characters might not make it to the end of the episode. 

The big problem is that there needs to be an explanation of why Thursday is never mentioned in either the TV, or book versions of Morse. Considering how important he is to your Morse, this will take a bit of clever thinking.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

The big problem is that there needs to be an explanation of why Thursday is never mentioned in either the TV, or book versions of Morse. Considering how important he is to your Morse, this will take a bit of clever thinking.

If they bump him off, then his loss would be a big factor in future Morse. As it wasn't, I'd like to think that he took his pension and retired to Bournemouth or some similar place, well away from Oxford, where he'd have sunk out of memory quite easily.

3 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

Given the off-the-scale nastiness of the people that Morse, Thursday, Strange and Bright are attempting to grapple with, we're running a small sweepstake here on which of Thursday and Bright don't make it to the end of the final episode - with side bets on the newly-reappeared DS Jakes (aka "Little Pete" - I wonder if any of the Premium Bonds that Morse gave him as a going-away present ever paid out?)

I'm also wondering whether there is a body to be discovered in Box's office, given the gunshots and him subsequently fleeing to South Africa.

But yes, it will feel like a bit of a loss when the series finally comes to an end, and it looks very like it's not going to end well for some of the regular characters that don't appear in Morse.

BTW, did anyone pick up what I took to be references to other TV detective series in the last episode?  The stolen car was a Triumph Stag - I suspect a reference to New Tricks - and someone, possibly Bright, did utter the phrase "line of duty" at one point.  I'm sure there must have been others (a sneaky "between the lines" slipped in there somewhere maybe?)  It's well known that Russell Lewis does like to include a few "easter eggs" in each series: https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/endeavours-morse-callbacks-and-colin-dexter-easter-eggs/

There was a reference to Vimes, from Terry Pratchett's Watch in the episode with the bank siege! The 'toffs in masks' are a nod to the Bullingdon Club, which has provided us with two recent Prime Ministers, I believe.

Edited by Fat Controller

1 minute ago, Fat Controller said:

Broadstairs; my wife spent her teenage years in Thanet. One of her neighbours was Jack Warner. 

That's right; Dixon. 'Evening. all...'

A precedent!

5 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

There was a reference to Vimes, from Terry Pratchett's Watch in the episode with the bank siege! The 'toffs in masks' are a nod to the Bullingdon Club, which has provided us with two recent Prime Ministers, I believe.

"Watch" was so vaguely Terry Pratchett that after seeing part of the first episode, I gave up.

• RMweb Gold

Having watched the two latest episodes and noted the phone call at the end of the second one I wonder if there is something going to surface in a bad way about Thursday's time in London as a policeman and whether that is going to explain things.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Agree 1

Yes!  I immediately saw the Clockwork Orange similarity!

The same opening music piece too.

A thoroughly horrible film

I immediately knew what was coming as soon as I saw them; but my loathing for these four trawled new depths when one of them tried to play the 'know your place' card when interviewed and I loved Thursday's reply.

Couldn't find the image I wanted from Endeavour.

image.png.a1fe8aaadecf33886dcecbf3805fdfaa.png

I started watching Morse when the DVDs came out. I was living in Finland at the time, and they were a good reminder of my home town (Oxford). My wife & I have watched them all all several times, likewise Lewis and Endeavour when  they are on TV. 

We watched the latest on Sunday but neither of us can remember a thing about it!

• Administrators
3 hours ago, AyJay said:

Yes!  I immediately saw the Clockwork Orange similarity!

The same opening music piece too.

A thoroughly horrible film

I immediately knew what was coming as soon as I saw them; but my loathing for these four trawled new depths when one of them tried to play the 'know your place' card when interviewed and I loved Thursday's reply.

Couldn't find the image I wanted from Endeavour.

Try reading the book - it's a real challenge...

I thought the satire was well done. Yes, we recognised the Clockwork Orange influences, but the burning of a the £20 note, and straw boaters on the youths was pure Bullingdon club - an interesting conflation. That and the "know your place" stuff was quite clever, especially as it turned out they weren't the murderers, of the tramp at least. And I agree, Thursday was brilliant. Everything you would hope a real policeman would say.

Chief Superintendent Bright was seen wistfully leafing through a travel brochure for India.

£5 says that's a certain clue he'll fall in the line of duty saving one or more of the others. Closest he'll get to India will be the nearest Tandoori. 

• RMweb Gold
On 07/03/2023 at 20:51, didcot said:

Morse even visited Didcot Railway Centre. 

And clotted his botty book IMHO by referring to the steam locos as 'dinosaurs'.  But I agree; the Morse genre will be missed.

17 hours ago, AndyB said:

Chief Superintendent Bright was seen wistfully leafing through a travel brochure for India.

£5 says that's a certain clue he'll fall in the line of duty saving one or more of the others. Closest he'll get to India will be the nearest Tandoori. 

He served in India, didn't he; I remember that from the episode with the tiger.

We need something that explains the later Morse's deep cynicism, the clear psychological damage to a man of deep honour.  I'm expecting something that ends with Bright and Thursday being unfairly disgraced by their powerful enemies, who will throw them under the bus to save their own skins, while Morse's and Jim Strange's careers are saved by the other two, who will have an opportunity to save themselves by sacrificing Morse and Strange, but will not as a point of honour.  Thus  the 'city men' will be finished forever, the baddies will win; at least, that's what usually happens in real life!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Perhaps Morse felt cynical because Strange achieved higher promotion? Anyhow, perhaps all will be revealed this Sunday.

Apart from that, it is a good thing Morse never interacted with the Flying Squad in London. The world might have imploded.....