The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Endeavour

didcot

Wonderful programme last night like many other replies here I think we all loved it……I watched the documentary after and was so surprised to hear that Shaun Evans had a northern accent as well as Joan Thursday had a Scottish accent, they certainly covered them up in the programme…….again great tv, shame  it has finished……..dave brighty 

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

I wondered if the funny turn took place in the same college where Morse himself pegged out - they all look the same to me though.

It was the same location - Exeter College, Oxford.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

Not sure why they bothered with the gunshot in the churchyard almost at the end, as we all know Endeavour/Morse couldn't have topped himself ...

Maybe he did and the entire 'Inspector Morse' / 'Lewis' franchise was a dream. After all, Gene Hunt was murdered in 1953 ...  

Edited by Wheatley
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Brighty1674 said:

...surprised to hear that ...  Joan Thursday had a Scottish accent

Sara Vickers was able to use her native accent in series 2 of Guilt: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0009qm4

We're pretty sure that she had baby #2 on the way during the filming of the final series of Endeavour (she missed all of series 7 as she was heavily pregant with her first during the filming).  It was generally pretty well concealed, but we both thought she looked a bit 'chunkier' from when she first turned up again towards the end of series 3 episode 1, and some of the side-on shots of her in the wedding dress in the final episode seemed to confirm it.

• Like 1

I must admit to cheering at the bit when he and Joan appeared to get together, only to have it cruelly taken away, but the tear he shed when he hugged her as Mrs Strange said it all. Poor Morse never gets his girl.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, didcot said:

I must admit to cheering at the bit when he and Joan appeared to get together

That bit anoyed me. The only dream squence I've liked was this one from Neighbours -

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, didcot said:

I must admit to cheering at the bit when he and Joan appeared to get together, only to have it cruelly taken away, but the tear he shed when he hugged her as Mrs Strange said it all. Poor Morse never gets his girl.

5 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

That bit anoyed me. The only dream squence I've liked was this one from Neighbours -

According to an interview given by Shaun Evans in connection with the final episode, there was a lot of discussion about whether to include that scene in the final broadcast version.  He felt "really strongly" about including it.

Available here for anyone interested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

I wondered if the funny turn took place in the same college where Morse himself pegged out - they all look the same to me though.

The gunshot was odd, but I seem to recall (John Thaw) Morse mentioning he had contemplated suicide in the series, so an attempt wouldn't be out of character.

I think I've made a sort of sense of it, at least in a way that works for me.  Endeavour is sitting in the churchyard in deep despair with the gun in his hand and loaded with one bullet, everything he holds dear having failed him, Joan lost forever, Thursday a murderer who has effectively requested him to off himself in one interpretation, and his core beliefs shattered; cut to next scene shot from behind the trees, there is a gunshot and the birds all fly off, so one instantly concludes that he has lost a game of Russian Roulette, but this cannot be true, as the series is a prequel to Morse.  My interpretation is that Endeavour fires the gun into the air, as he is indeed contemplating suicide, in order to remove the temptation from himself.  But if that was the intended interpretation it was never explained, and I'm an inveterate complainer about dumbed down overplayed explanations of plot twists in TV and Film, so can't really complain about it...  The Endeavour persona is really dead, though, in a sesne; from now on in it's 'just Morse' and the Endeavour we see in the remaining few minutes of the programme is effectively already a ghost.

Things get a bit metaphysical (understandably, we are dealing with a ghost) after that, possibly an interpretation of his state of mind.  He seems catatonic in the choir practice, understandaby given his mental turmoil, and apparently leaves the palace alone, in the 2.4, having gone through the 'is that it, then?' encounter with the choirmaster (Russel Lewis of course, the god of this fictional universe, the puppetmaster), the solitary car parked in the prime central location facing away from the steps down the long straight driveway (irrestible to any cameraman worth his salt).  The other choristers are departed, and in his state he is barely aware of them anyway, and there is a dream-like surreality; we may well be in Endeavour's mind rather than corpereal reality.  He passes the red vinyl-roofed mk2 halfway along the drive and is acknowledged by an edit of John Thaw's Morse's eyes looking at the retreating 2.4 in the mk2's mirror, a symbolic death and rebirth, a washing in the Jordan, and a chronological waypoint  Endeavour is dead, long live Morse.  The palace represents spiritual Oxford, the scene of the entire series except when Morse and Lewis have a comic break in Australia.

Thursday's 'mind how you go' always sounded like at least half a threat to me!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Pointing out that it had been expertly and thoroughly cleaned, a pointer to someone familiar with firearms, as of course Thursday was from his army days.  Endeavour points this out to him in the denoument conversation on the bench, the moment Thursday realises that he's banged to rights and his future is entirely in Endeavour's hands.  'Who else knows?' he asks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

I have a feeling that the conductor of the choir at the end was Russell Lewis.  

I guess it'd be consistent with the genre; Colin Dexter was not averse to a cameo.

By way of a bit of trivia.

A friend owns "UFF325" and rented it to the production company for the first series. 

I believe they bought their own Jag for subsequent series.

He uses it for weddings in the Sussex area if anyone is in the market. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, didcot said:

More on that ...

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/endeavour-why-joan-thursday-has-to-choose-strange-over-morse/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nigb55009 said:

I noticed the reference to the Andrew Lewis, who had been murdered having a single relative. A young lad called Robert, lives in the north east, training to be a copper. Ring any bells?

Detective Sergeant/Detective Inspector Robert "Robbie" Lewis  ... in the novels Lewis is Welsh; in the TV series he is Geordie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inspector_Lewis

The Wife and I sat to watch the last episode last night; guess that explains why Morse was such a grumpy person. Very sad it’s all over now. Guess I’ll have to find out if we can see it all over again; our only alternative is watching ‘Unforgotten’ and I’m just not taking to the characters in that series.

9 hours ago, AyJay said:

our only alternative is watching ‘Unforgotten’ and I’m just not taking to the characters in that series.

If you want to try another show written by Russell Lewis, series 3 of Grace with John Simm is starting on ITV/STV this coming Sunday.

I'd agree that the current series of Unforgotten is a harder watch than the first four - as in: not as cosy & 'fluffy', due to WARNING! POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT; select the following text to reveal: the termination of Nicola Walker's character at the end of series four*, plus the fact that Sunny (and most of the rest of the team, apart it seems from gravelly-voiced Murray) can't stand the newly-introduced character.

If neither of those float your boat you could try The Bay on ITV on Wednesday nights - the first two episodes of the current series are available on catchup.  IMO it's never been quite the same since Morven Christie moved on, but I think the DI is still reasonable value, and the rest of the team are decent enough.

I believe there is another series of the revived Van der Valk due sometime this year as well.  Again, not to everyone's taste but I quite enjoy it.

There's also a fair choice of ITV detective dramas such as VeraRebus and Grantchester to stream for free on the STV Player and maybe ITVX (although the more "premium" series on ITVX tend to be behind their paywall, unless they're still within the 'catchup viewing' window).  UKTVPlay has a few mostly BBC-originated series such as George Gently, New Tricks, Sherlock and the 1980's Miss Marples with Joan Hickson, plus a few renegades from STV/ITV such as Taggart and The Last Detective.  If Scandi Noir and other foreign crime dramas are your thing then there are a good few available to stream for free on All4 under the World Drama/Walter Presents categories - Rebecka Martinsson: Arctic Murders is quite good (though switching the lead actress between series one and series two was a bit odd!) and I would have suggested Thou Shalt Not Kill but it's not there any more.  The Killing is still available on iPlayer, although The Bridge seems to have gone.  No Wallander, though ☹️ or Follow the Money ☹️ but if grumpy DIs are your thing then all of Shetland is currently there.

None of which is any help, of course, if you're allergic to repeats, or to giving a small amount of personal data to the streaming sites.

One might wonder why there is such a preponderance of detective/crime drama on TV.  There seems to be as much of it as there is of all the other drama genres combined.  I've no answer to that.

* I realise that the actor in question is not to everyone's taste.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

There's also a fair choice of ITV detective dramas ...

I've recently found a YouTube channel that has all eight series of Foyle's War.

https://www.youtube.com/@moremurdermysteries

Now working my way through all 28 episodes. It's nice that many of the actors have also appeared at one time or another in Morse, Lewis and/or Endeavour. Here's Series 1, Episode 1 for starters.

• Like 1

Aaah, Foyle's War..one of my all time favorite detective series. Michael Kitchen plays a blinder in this.

Vera is another favorite.....as well as the newer Van der Valk...

But then, I'll also watch Poirot in preference to trash like football, etc.

There's also Beck, and the Bridge....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile, in a mind far, far away....

He awoke, arose, dressed, and left the house. It was a day like any other, but today, somehow, felt different. Forsaking his trusty Jaguar, he caught the bus into the city centre. Everybody seemed the same; babies in prams, mothers shopping, chatting, going about their everyday business. But somehow, things felt different. He couldn't place it:- It just was, well, different.

Hurrying along, his mind racing, focussing upon his own, inner thoughts. "What is it? Think, man!, Think!  He stopped by the park, and sat down. "Dammit! Something's not right! What is it?

Just then, a figure crossed the park, towards him. He seemed familiar, but the figure seemed different. The person drew closer, ever closer and stopped just in front of the park bench....

"You've been cloned, Morse, said the figure. "Everybody has been cloned! He looked into the reflection of the pond... It was true! He had indeed been cloned! As he looked around, all of the people looked the same, even the birds in the trees, all the same...

"Oh my Lord! I'm stuck in a one-Morse town...

• Funny 1