RMweb

Confessions of a Canton goods guard

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for those excellent photos, Kev.  Lawrence Hill was a proper goods yard, something that was rare in post-Beeching days, and always interesting.  IIRC the 03 worked trips up to Filton coal yard as well.  It's all very modellable, and I have always thought that it would make an excellent club exhibition layout, set around 1960 with the Midland still running; you could run pretty much anything from the WR and a good bit of LMR, with a smattering of Southern.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, The Johnster said:

There was another Freightliner robbery story, but I couldn't verify the truth of it; the Royal Mint at Llantrisant used to send out containers of new coins for circulation, by road to Pengam where they were loaded onto trains.  One of these containers (they were ordinary containers in Freightliner livery, hiding in plain sight) full of £2million worth of 50p coins allegedly went walkabout from the Pengam-Stratford train while it was somewhere on the North London section; somebody had a pretty greedy gas meter to feed... 

Afraid I think there has to be some exaggeration there.  I know from my time working as a bank cashier just how heavy coins can be.  Because of a miscalculation in our forecasting I once had to fetch £200 in 1p and 2p and a similar value in silver from another branch.  Copper coins came in £20 bags about the size of a bag of spuds from the supermarket, so they easily fit in the boot of my mini, but the weight of that lot at the back made the steering very light!  Even paper money is pretty heavy in bulk.

A 50p coin (original size) weighed 13.5g, so £2m of them would have weighed 54 metric tons; the current smaller ones would be 32 tonnes.  A single container is limited to 25/28 tonnes (although 40' containers carry twice as much bulk as the 20' ones, they can only carry slightly more by weight).  You would also need a special tri-axle trailer to carry more than about 18 tonnes by road.  So you would certainly need more than one container to carry that much dosh in coin.

Did the man who emptied your gas meter have an HGV licence?  I remember watching them empty parking meters in central London - the blokes with the keys were followed by a bullion van and they tipped the collection through hatch into the van after each meter otherwise they would have had a problem carrying it!  Anybody stealing a large amount in coin would find it rather difficult and time-consuming to launder the money, as people would be immediately suspicious of a sum much bigger than what the pub drew out on Friday for change over the weekend and the vicar would bring back on Monday morning from the collection plate.  Small change (even in bulk) is not worth the bother if you're planning a heist.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold

Well, it was a story wot I 'erd, and might well have been exaggerated, if it ever happened in the first place.  Even in the 70s, when 50p was the largest value coin, it would have taken some getting rid of in container-full quantities, though our theory was that it might have been got rid of through dodgy gambling machine operators, who consumed such coins in large quantities.  Even then the operation would have to have taken some time to avoid raising suspicion, but London's organised criminals probably had the network and outlets to do it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Anybody stealing a large amount in coin would find it rather difficult and time-consuming to launder the money, as people would be immediately suspicious of a sum much bigger than what the pub drew out on Friday for change over the weekend and the vicar would bring back on Monday morning from the collection plate. 

Pre-decimal, two kids lifted a bag of old thrupenny pieces from the cash office in the local bus garage. Later, in town, they tried to buy a toy costing something like 3 pounds with some of the coins. They were invited to explain to a policeman how they came into possession of these coins.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Well, you would if you were to do it legally ................................ ! .................

I think the Royal Mint observes the law of the land - even the one at Llantrisant, better known as the hole with the mint.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Small change (even in bulk) is not worth the bother if you're planning a heist.

Are you talking from experience there? 🕵️‍♂️

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Are you talking from experience there? 🕵️‍♂️

No, none of the banks I worked at suffered a robbery whilst I was there, though I did work later on the liquidation of a bank that was put into insolvency as a result of its corrupt management.  I had to tell depositors "No sorry, you can't draw your money out of your account, la banque est sous gestion contrôlée et sursis de paiement"  though most of them did eventually get at least some of their money back, not helped by the destruction of the London office in the provisional IRA's attack on the Baltic Exchange.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I think the Royal Mint observes the law of the land - even the one at Llantrisant, better known as the hole with the mint.

Sorry, I thought we were still talking about £2 million quid's worth of fifty pees that - allegedly - went walkies somewhere round the North London Line.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, billy_anorak59 said:

Thought of you and this thread @The Johnster when I came across a short YouTube vid that you might like:

Barry, Cadoxton, Pontypool Road and what looks like the Severn Tunnel. Plus the Hymeks - what's not to like!

Not the Severn Tunnel, Billy; the train was routed via Pontypool Road, Hereford, Malvern, and Worcester, so turned  left at Maindy Jc once it had crossed the river bridge at Newport.  Even had it run via Gloucester, in which case it would have passed through STJ, it would not have gone through the Severn Tunnel.  The tunnel you are confusing it with is Gaer Tunnel, just to the west of Newport High Street though the filming is done from the Cardiff end.  There are in fact two parallel tunnels here, the original, which 80079 is hauled through, on the relief roads, and a later one built when the line was quadrupled, used by the mains.

But tx, a nice little film, with much of interest and many memories stirred.  The cutting with the pipe bridge is between Little Mill and Nantyderry IIRC, and the shot with the short tunnel is Pontrilas.  I also identified the rock cutting at Biglis, and a shot of the train running through Dinas Powys station when it still had a station building.  I think I'd have been tempted to light a fire in the firebox to keep warm if I were riding on the loco!  The speed of the train is probably the reason for the routing, as it would possibly cause issues on the busy line north of Gloucester.

• Like 7
  • Funny 1

20 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Thanks for those excellent photos, Kev.  Lawrence Hill was a proper goods yard, something that was rare in post-Beeching days, and always interesting.  IIRC the 03 worked trips up to Filton coal yard as well.  It's all very modellable, and I have always thought that it would make an excellent club exhibition layout, set around 1960 with the Midland still running; you could run pretty much anything from the WR and a good bit of LMR, with a smattering of Southern.

Thanks. I am enjoying learning about train services, like the bricks,  I knew of but never saw myself. 

The Lawrence Hill pilot duty did not go as far as Filton (which I think had been shunted from Stoke Gifford), but the 03 did make a weekday trip as far as Stapleton Road where there was a scrap yard on the up side north of the station, Birds and Pugsleys each had a siding and loaded 16t mins of scrap - Llanelli was the destination I remember. The scrap was weighed at Lawrence Hill where there was a weighbridge, also occasionally used by the civil engineers to weigh things like wagon loads of scrap chairs.

The pilot also worked daily trips to Avonside Wharf, with presflos of cement for the Blue Circle depot on Avonside Wharf, and seasonal trains of molasses for Distillers. The main traffic at Lawrence Hill yard was cement from Aberthaw in presflos, but also bagged and loaded in vans, heavy dirty work to unload I imagine,

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
Additional info
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

13 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Not the Severn Tunnel, Billy; the train was routed via Pontypool Road, Hereford, Malvern, and Worcester, so turned  left at Maindy Jc once it had crossed the river bridge at Newport.  Even had it run via Gloucester, in which case it would have passed through STJ, it would not have gone through the Severn Tunnel.  The tunnel you are confusing it with is Gaer Tunnel, just to the west of Newport High Street though the filming is done from the Cardiff end.

Glad you liked it @The Johnster and thanks for the correction - I just guessed I'm afraid and missed by mile! I'm not too familiar with the areas you (and others) descibe here on the thead, but I'm certainly finding out about the various locations and enjoying your writings as I learn where and how things were done.

Please keep the confessions coming as and when you can - it's all great stuff!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Not the Severn Tunnel, Billy; the train was routed via Pontypool Road, Hereford, Malvern, and Worcester, so turned  left at Maindy Jc once it had crossed the river bridge at Newport.  Even had it run via Gloucester, in which case it would have passed through STJ, it would not have gone through the Severn Tunnel.  The tunnel you are confusing it with is Gaer Tunnel, just to the west of Newport High Street though the filming is done from the Cardiff end.  There are in fact two parallel tunnels here, the original, which 80079 is hauled through, on the relief roads, and a later one built when the line was quadrupled, used by the mains.

Hmm so according to you it made its way up towards Radyr passing Maindy Bridge - just north of Cathays works then somehow ran between Park Jcn on the Westertn Valley) and Gaer jcn  on the mainline west of Newport,

The tunnel mouth is actually the western portal of Hillfield Tunnel which lines on the SWML west of Newport Station.  And the train then turned left towards Hereford at Maindee West Jcn which lies just across the river bridge east of Newport Station.  

Simple check - Maindy is in Cardiff, Maindee is in Newport and there was no such  location as Maindy Jcn on the GWR/WR.   Gaer Tunnel is on the line between Gaer Jcn and Park Jcn - not on the SWML; itt was originally double line but was singled quite a while back so could hardly be mistaken for the tunnel in the film.

Edited by The Stationmaster
typos
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Hmm so according to you it made its way up towards Radyr passing Maindy Bridge - just north of Cathays works then somehow ran between Park Jcn on the Westertn Valley) and Gaer jcn  on the mainline west of Newport,

The tunnel mouth is actually the western portal of Hillfield Tunnel which lines on the SWML west of Newport Station.  And the train then turned left towards Hereford at Maindee West Jcn which lies just across the river bridge east of Newport Station.  

Simple check - Maindy is in Cardiff, Maindee is in Newport and there was no such  location as Maindy Jcn on the GWR/WR.   Gaer Tunnel is on the line between Gaer Jcn and Park Jcn - not on the SWML; itt was originally double line but was singled quite a while back so could hardly be mistaken for the tunnel in the film.

Yes, quite right Mike, Maindee not Maindy.  Hillfield is the correct name for the tunnel I referred to as Gaer, which is what we always called it, rightly or wrongly.  The 'proper' Gaer Tunnel was what we referred to as Park Tunnel.  I must make the point of distinguishing between the correct names and the vernacular we used in these posts.  We distinguished between the 'old' tunnel on the relief lines and the 'new' tunnel on the mains.

Time was when the train could have theoretically been routed via Maindy in Cardiff, on the TVR, there was once a halt there as well as the North Road bridge, then through Radyr, up the Big Hill to Penrhos, through Caerphilly and on to the Brecon & Merthyr to Machen and Bassaleg Jc, thence via Park Jc and the 'proper' Gaer Tunnel, though why anybody would want to engage in such a tour is another question.  Maindy Halt, and Woodville Road Halt, were served by the 'Maindy Flyer', an auto service, and the kiddies' cycling club at neaby Maindy Stadium which I was a member of in my own childhood took the name.  It's best known alumnus is Gareth Thomas, Olympic Gold Medallist and Tour de France winner, and a bit faster than me...

Maindy, a corruption of Maendy, Welsh for 'stone house', is a fairly common place name in South Wales, and as such demands more attention than I paid to it's correct spelling in order to narrow down the candidates to the one you are trying to specifically describe.

The North & West is not the obvious choice for routing a loco from Woodham's in Barry to the SVR, as it is a fairly long way around and there are single track sections on the Colwall Jc-Worester section of this routing should anything go wrong, like a hotbox; Gloucester/Worcester seems easier, but no doubt the route was chosen for pathing reasons due to the slow progress of the train. 

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I caught up with this amazing thread, when I was on holiday, on the wrong side of the pond  and I have now caught up again.

It's amazing how much working practices have changed in the last 50 years, not all for the good, but most have been.

Thanks Johnster, for your amazing thread.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 05/05/2023 at 21:33, The Johnster said:

Box was particularly interesting, not only for the alleged sunrise sightline on Brunel's birthday* but for the bare rock faces; it was only brick lined for a relatively short distance in from either portal, a detail that Doctor Dionysius Lardner failed to pick up on in his criticisms of it.  Of course it made just as much difference to the safety of the tunnel as the gradient did, Lardner was an idiot...

*I never saw this, though met people who swore they had, but one Monday morning working the first Bristol through the Severn Tunnel, with no traffic for some hours previous, it was possible to see a tiny white dot in the distance as we cleared the bottom vertical curve, the English portal some two and a half miles away.  Had some discussion with the driver about whether or not it would get big enough for us to squeeze through when we got there (we managed, in the event).  Normally the tunnel, well enough ventilated, was too full of fumes to allow this sort of thing.

The Grauniad, in typically even handed fashion concludes that either it does or it doesn't.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

12 hours ago, Welchester said:

The Grauniad, in typically even handed fashion concludes that either it does or it doesn't.

Let's face it - the sun shines through the tunnel on SOMEBODY's birthday .................................... as, no doubt, it does through other tunnels with a similar alignment. ( Maybe IKB chose to build a railway from London in the east to Bristol in the west so he could dig a tunnel in that direction.)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The usual explanation is that it is rooted in Brunel’s interest in Egyptology, which was shared with his father.  Egyptian monuments have stellar and solar alignments and the pyramids feature shafts aligned to stars such as Sirius, presumably

intended as conduits to the afterlife for the Pharoah’s spirit.  

It would be typical of his character and sense of showmanship to pull something like this off; cf  the stunt at Maidenhead Bridge, the arches of which Lardner reckoned were too flat and would collapse when the support of the wooden scaffolding was removed.  At the official opening, in front of the gathered crowd and reporters (and Lardner) the mooring ropes holding this scaffolding were cut and the framework allowed to drift downstream on the current, having only ever been put there for show with a small gap between it and the underside of the arches and never having supported anything. 

This bridge is still in use on the relief lines and carries traffic with up to 25ton axle loads in each direction.  So much for Dr. Dionysius Lardner!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 9