Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Bizarre starts to layouts

I'm going to start my first 'real' layout soon with a rather unusual technique. No track plan or ideas about operation, stock, etc.

I'm building a station - rather, modifying and super-detailing a 'OO' Dapol building - probably SR 1950's.

Once finished, I'll then think about building a Layout around it.

Is this type of approach likely to end in tears or is it more common than I realise!?

The prevailing wisdom recommends planning the layout first, then adding the scenery to suit. But I'm not sure that that approach is universally followed. Some people like modelling buildings, with the layout as a secondary consideration, fitting the buildings in afterwards. In the end, it's what pleases you, other peoples's views are irrelevant - it's your layout and your money. Hope these comments help.

Dennis

As a seasoned veteran of many unplanned (or perhaps more accurately significantly incompletely planned) personal layouts (100% track record) it will almost certainly exercise your problem solving skills. It may drive you madder than you are already, but then being completely barking myself ...

I think it is more fun. Participation in meticulously planned builds for club exhibition layouts felt just like executing engineering projects at the office. While I would happily endure the grind at work in exchange for wonga; when it comes to a hobby, my expectations veer toward the 'hang loose' department.

The big problem I usually find with "lack of planning" is that I cut flexitrack then find things don't quite fit, so I've wasted track. Another problem is trying to make the track fit from what you have rather than what you need, such as trying to make the design fit a left hand long radius when really a short right or Y point will do the job - but you don't have it.

I'm actually finding a lot of fun from one of the free track planning programs that you can get off the web, as it lets me fiddle without wasting a penny - and when you can print it all out full size and see whether the clearances are right, then print out a shopping list of all the components you need.

Of course it's your layout, your idea and your credit card ... but, remember the "Seven P principle" - Proper Prior Planning prevents P*ss Poor Performance :)

• RMweb Gold

I'm going to start my first 'real' layout soon with a rather unusual technique. No track plan or ideas about operation, stock, etc.

I'm building a station - rather, modifying and super-detailing a 'OO' Dapol building - probably SR 1950's.

A lot to be said for this. After all, if the station building doesn't turn out to resemble 1950s SR as you hope - then you can go with whatever prototype you feel it does depict, unconstrained by a pile of now-inappropriate boxes lurking in your railway room. If you do get the expected result, then 1950s SR isn't difficult these days, with loads of really nice RTR stuff just waiting to bounce off the dealer's shelf onto your baseboard, plus massive support from the kit industry if that's your intention.

Don't hesitate - your sanity is not in doubt just yet!

I have no particular interest in early 60s Western region branch lines.

Hattons were selling off cheap a Dapol 45xx.

An 8 foot layout occured. If I had clicked on Hattons' website a day or two later when they had sold out it never would have happened.

Who knows what the initial spark will be for a layout.

• RMweb Premium

If you have a look at the thread I put on the 2010 layout challenge about "Sutton Dock" you will see that it came to me in a dream! As did Tickhill & Wadworth. The great thing about this hobby is that anybody who tells you that there is only one proper way of doing something is an idiot! If you create a picture in your mind, based around the building, it can easily turn into a layout. I would suggest that you do some daydreaming first! I have built layouts without planning them before and it is great fun but I wasted a lot of time and effort, going backwards by undoing things that didn't quite work, usually because of an odd inch here and there.

Layout planning for me nowadays consists of getting hold of spare yard lengths of track and redundant pints (edited!!!! that should say points!!) and shuffling them around on the board until they look OK! Then I draw it out before I remove the track and forget where it was!

• RMweb Gold

Layout planning for me nowadays consists of getting hold of spare yard lengths of track and redundant pints and shuffling them around on the board until they look OK! Then I draw it out before I remove the track and forget where it was!

Just make sure you don't spill those redundant pints B)

That's very much my preferred method, too - bung down some spare tracks, have a shuffle and see what eventuates.

The big problem I usually find with "lack of planning" is that I cut flexitrack then find things don't quite fit, so I've wasted track. ...

The answer to that is mucho doodling to get the track formation evolved before cutting. The trap I fell into quite frequently was using whatever minimum radius applied in the orginal evolved plan, and then when wanting to alter things later discovering that a still smaller radius was the only way to make things fit; and that meant operational restrictions. To overcome that I limit the evolved plan that initially gets built to radii six inches larger than the minimum the stock can operate on. That way there is wiggle room when - inevitably - the first stab at the track layout is tinkered with.

... redundant pints and shuffling them around on the board until they look OK ...

I take it that is a euphemism for what beer becomes shortly after you rented it? You just 'urine' around until it looks right.

Just make sure you don't spill those redundant pints ...

And that would be rather important if my guess about this being a euphemism is correct.

I do so enjoy this hobby. biggrin.gif

• RMweb Gold

As I've said to Pitbull about his Bocott layout, planning can be doodling with track rather than pens. There's no rule that you must try things out on paper first, the Missus has fancy words for it about different ways of visualising and learning things are best for different people.

Personally putting it down on paper is just a record of what's already in my head. smile.gif

• RMweb Gold

Helps to have been there a few times! There's a very good railway bookshop in the station.

I found it to be by far the best place in the heart of Sydney for model railway mags.

One thing which has always fascinated me about that station is that none of the platform signs say where it is - it's just called 'Central', which no doubt works very well for Sydneysiders but I do wonder what some visitors make of it :blink:

Very impressive - and complete with trams. How exactly does it work as a layout - I take it the layout is the suburban services + trams , since the backscene is where the main line platforms would have been , and there is hidden track behind the backscene so the suburban electrics can run through the high level platforms ?

The suburban trains run on 6 continuous loops (3 each way), returning behind the backscene.

DSC_0466.JPG

There are 3 continuous loops for the trams, but at present they are static.

DSC_0468.JPG

The main line platforms are currently blank but will be a static diorama with sound.

The whole layout is set on a specific day in 1958 as depicted in a set of about 50 colour photos of the station and surrounding streets in the NSW State Library.

The photos don't really convey the sheer size of the layout, even though it is N scale. From the front to the backscene along the axis of the second photo is 6'2"!

Cheers

David

Archived