Wolfstatt at Ally Pally

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

DC454B5F-7315-4DFF-BFAD-36748258BC3D.jpeg.615e35ffbb6f3bd9a6b1d40d940342d3.jpeg

Wolfstatt by Craig and team was the show stopper for me this year at Ally Pally. 

0CFF916F-5E75-49F3-B761-188BC64BA9FA.jpeg.1173381c27091d076020404d9d2061a2.jpeg

Great modelling and an endless procession of trains. 

31081DF1-F06B-48DF-81E9-05C347A9B566.jpeg.dbcb836cf089deaaf8f2fb2ed6730150.jpeg

4AB51838-CEC2-4A14-9213-1AA44E2D419C.jpeg.d642d011f6275ccc503120c7d0c24051.jpeg

1387C25C-BBB2-414B-A17B-3ABFCBE55CD3.jpeg.37089d4f854a0bb2c392eeacbb444f80.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 13

Superb modelling!

For me it was Best in Show - colourful, realistic, not the WCML and a tribute to the building team. 

The best advert for Modelling European Railways for years.

Well done Craig and the team. Your 3 deep line of folks to watch trains passing was well deserved.

Peter

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, bbishop said:

Sorry, didn't hack it for me - just to clean and shiny.  Bill

And, in this era of weathering as a science, you will not be alone, Bill. But as an exhibition layout it has a lot of positives. It has dramatic scenery and backcloth, depicting areas not everyone has visited - certainly in the milder seasons - and there is a regular procession of brightly-coloured, long, modern trains. Paul's video shows there was seldom a let-up in trains moving through, which for a significant proportion of the exhibition audience is a key point, and little or no irritating shunting etc to stop that flow. 

As Gordon says, there is a wow-factor in all this that the world's finest GWR BLT simply can't emulate - and its builder wouldn't want it to. He delights, no doubt, in the realistic, possibly WTT-faithful, operational opportunities his layout offers, and many RMweb cognoscenti would agree.

But for the dads-and-lads part of the exhibition audience, it is no contest. Horses for courses, and all that. 

• RMweb Gold

There was subtle weathering if you look at it closely, as below, but it’s also brand new at its first show so more detailing may well be on the cards. You get grot in urban areas but this type of scene often has very little heavy weathering. Mostly underframes of trains and that will be down to the team’s preferences 😉
As a first outing and from someone who likes weathering too it still wowed me in person so each to their own. 

10D839E4-05CA-4DF1-A8F7-48A540525D9B.jpeg.7d6023de3a3751344a0f18d82e2ba0d0.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The photos look great. Sadly I could not make the show, but a couple of others from our club visited and were mightily impressed (admittedly from a club with a heavy overseas bias, but a good exhibition layout is still a good exhibition layout, irrespective of country, era etc.).

Not too many Austrian layouts out there (definitely this size), and hopefully I will get to see it myself some time in the future. Nice to see an overseas layout actually getting the attention it deserves!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sjp23480 said:

Lots of younger fans were begging the team for the "jet train". 

I didn't hang around to see it, does anyone have any pics?

Thanks

Steve

I think there was one in each direction.  B

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, sjp23480 said:

begging the team for the "jet train". 

I didn't hang around to see it, does anyone have any pics?

It’s at 10:20 in the video above albeit partially obscured passing another train. 

OBB Railjet

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bbishop said:

Totally disagree! I remarked to all my friends and club mates how spot on it is. Rural Austria and Switzerland do look 'clean and shiny' on a bright summer's day, especially with clear alpine air.

Edited by Gordonwis
  • Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, bbishop said:

I used to be of this belief with Austrian (and Swiss) layouts, but having visited the area that I believe this layout is modelling (the Tyrol region of Austria), it really does look that clean, especially when the sun has come out after a rain shower.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I've only just had chance to catch up with RM web and can't believe the wonderful comments Wolfstatt has received, Lewis and I had a brilliant weekend with the team and greatly appreciate the kind words posted with many thanks. Wolfstatt was built to entertain which we certainly managed to do, Yes plenty of items have already been weathered however if you study the real thing the rail networks in the rural areas do tend to be clean further to this rolling stock especially locomotives are kept very clean compared to UK standards. Rest assured more stock will be treated accordingly as time passes. Lewis and I feel quite humbled by the above comments coming from far more experienced modelers. we now look forward to our next outing in Loughborough this August. Finally Paul you have posted a lovely video both here and on youtube which shows what Wolfstatt is all about ie plenty of action, thank you.

Craig.  

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 2

22 hours ago, bbishop said:

I think there was one in each direction.  B

We only have the one Railjet, we were however operating by directional running something very rarely modelled. I love to see two trains travelling in the same direction. This was very much part of our origanal game plan which is part of every day life on the continent.

• Informative/Useful 1

We couldn't get to allyPally due to work commitments and train strikes, but having seen this layout it simply looks like Austria. Having worked in Austria, it actually IS that clean and shiny. Yes, there's some areas that are scruffy, but people in that part of the world have some sort of civic pride in keeping things clean and tidy.

Edited by roythebus1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, duff man said:

We only have the one Railjet, we were however operating by directional running something very rarely modelled. I love to see two trains travelling in the same direction. This was very much part of our origanal game plan which is part of every day life on the continent.

That's why I didn't get a shot of it, because it came along behind a freight - typical! Again - just like the real thing. 

• RMweb Premium

Looks pretty clean to me. Though actually there's a sign just by the path asking all the railway enthusiasts to stop chucking all their rubbish into the meadows where the cows choke on it.  This is St. Jodok am Brenner [Google Maps], 29 June last year.

IMG_20220629_125641.jpg.86e2214eeaa0f7a3447dbb3accf7bece.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to @PaulRhB for the photos and video - fascinating to watch.  Thanks of course to @duff man and the team for such a fantastic layout.  I wasn’t able to get to London, but had read about Woflstatt somewhere (possibly in some discussion about baseboards elsewhere on RMweb?), so it’s great to see it has made its debut.

Nice to see the photo of the fiddle yard too - I wondered how big it was.

I note from Paul’s video that it appears another delightful European layout was next to it (to the left), St Etienne-en-Caux in H0e if I’m not mistaken (you can’t see the layout in detail, just the operator).  Same scale, very different layout 🙂.

I think I’ll just have another watch of the video, Keith.

• RMweb Premium

Having watched the video again, I can see the Swiss Railway Society stand beyond the right hand end of Wolfstatt, but can’t quite make out the stand immediately behind the right hand end.  Was it the Austrian Railway Group (which would make sense, obviously)?  Just wondered, Keith.