OO Gauge Curtain Upgrade

This week we've also been helping you guys replace the rather awful coloured curtains that seem to be a little too prevalent on layouts these days with a realistically better upgrade.

It's something I spotted by accident while walking Lola a couple of weeks back... curtains have the linings / light coloured side facing the road, not the brightly coloured side. So why do we all focus on amazing detail on locos, rolling stock and buildings, then ruin the whole lot with brightly coloured, definitely not realistic paper curtains?

We wandered all around our village and didn't spot one coloured pair. Then we travelled around 3 miles of roads around where we used to live on google maps and spotted just two coloured pairs out of thousands of windows!

So we've started (tongue in cheek) the campaign for Realistically Better Curtains! I spent the afternoon yesterday hand rendering a set of 54 pairs of curtains and 15 blinds to help you upgrade your houses and shops.

We have them available as a printed sheet for the princely sum of 99p. Just click the link below.

OO gauge curtains

Hope you like them

J

Curtains & Blinds For OO Scale Building Upgrades.jpg

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

My wife commented about curtains etc as era (sorry) and status dependent.

Linings were fairly recent in the average house and curtains as well.

E.g. Terraced houses  previously would have lace curtains more or less against the glass to stop people ( ?modellers?) looking in, up to 1950s or so.

Comments?.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, BMS said:

E.g. Terraced houses  previously would have lace curtains more or less against the glass to stop people ( ?modellers?) looking in, up to 1950s or so.

Up to the 2020s at least - probably 75-80% of houses on our street still have them...

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, BMS said:

My wife commented about curtains etc as era (sorry) and status dependent.

Linings were fairly recent in the average house and curtains as well.

Comments?.

Look a nice product for “contemporary” scenery. 

However, when I was a small boy in the mid/late 50s, my Mum would deliberately hang the curtains of our council house what we would now call ”wrong side round”. Her rationale - and she was not alone by any means - was that it was more important the neighbours should be “impressed” and get the benefit of seeing that we could afford proper nice curtains than those of us living in the house! 

In our neck of the woods, lace “half-curtains”  tended to survive in a majority of houses till the early 1980s, especially (but by no means only) in terraced housing fronting straight into the street.

Even then, those of us who had got married and lived in 1960s-built houses which had the then-fashionable big plate-glass windows (ours were 10ft 6in wide, i. e. almost the whole of the frontage of the house except the front door and hall!) often  continued with lace curtains hanging from the window top until the turn of the century. It seemed essential simply to get any real privacy, or at least cut down the viewing area you were putting on show. 

• Like 1