Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

A conversation with ChatGPT about OO gauge model railways

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, PMP said:

That’s maybe not a bad thing, if it’s programming listeners and other Ai that ‘war is bad’ it’s learnt more than most political leaders ever have!

I was just hoping it would go off, realise it's a movie quote and play along by responding as per the script, not take me seriously. Its not like I logged in as Donald Trump or Vlad the Mad.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I typed in "Chew Valley Railway" (a line that never existed) and got this creative response.

The Chew Valley Railway was a railway line that operated in the Chew Valley area of Somerset, England. The line ran for approximately 14 miles from the city of Bristol to the town of Chew Magna, with stations at various points along the route including Bishopsworth, Dundry, and Pensford.

The line was opened in stages between 1871 and 1876, and was primarily used for transporting goods such as coal, stone, and agricultural produce. Passenger services were also provided, although these were never very frequent or popular.

The line was closed to passenger traffic in 1951, and to goods traffic in 1964. The track was lifted shortly thereafter, and today much of the former route of the line has been converted into a footpath and cycleway known as the Strawberry Line.

There have been various proposals to reopen the line for passenger traffic in recent years, but as of my knowledge cutoff in 2021, none of these proposals have yet come to fruition.

Interesting that it has scavenged information about actual railways in the vicinity and has the concept of a route linking places roughly in a straight line, but seemingly no knowledge of the topography of North Somerset. A line between Bishopsworth and Dundry, if it were at all feasible,  would have needed to be a cable or rack incline.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I asked it about GSMR in the UK and got a load of nonsense.

to be fair some of what I asked it should not know as it shouldn’t be public knowledge but the bits that are it didn’t even get right 

• RMweb Premium

ChatGPT and similar AI are likely to be short-lived, as they are in considerable legal peril on three fronts:

1. Copyright, notably on the data used to train the software.
  2. GDPR, as above
  3. Libel. The software produces untrue responses. This is harmless enough when it misattributes the design of the Dreadnoughts to Aspinall, but not when it wrongly states that a living individual has committed a criminal offence, etc.
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 06/04/2023 at 18:46, Andy Kirkham said:

I typed in "Chew Valley Railway" (a line that never existed) and got this creative response.

The Chew Valley Railway was a railway line that operated in the Chew Valley area of Somerset, England. The line ran for approximately 14 miles from the city of Bristol to the town of Chew Magna, with stations at various points along the route including Bishopsworth, Dundry, and Pensford.

The line was opened in stages between 1871 and 1876, and was primarily used for transporting goods such as coal, stone, and agricultural produce. Passenger services were also provided, although these were never very frequent or popular.

The line was closed to passenger traffic in 1951, and to goods traffic in 1964. The track was lifted shortly thereafter, and today much of the former route of the line has been converted into a footpath and cycleway known as the Strawberry Line.

There have been various proposals to reopen the line for passenger traffic in recent years, but as of my knowledge cutoff in 2021, none of these proposals have yet come to fruition.

Interesting that it has scavenged information about actual railways in the vicinity and has the concept of a route linking places roughly in a straight line, but seemingly no knowledge of the topography of North Somerset. A line between Bishopsworth and Dundry, if it were at all feasible,  would have needed to be a cable or rack incline.

This could be quite useful if you are building a layout and want a realistic backstory for it

• Like 1

On 11/04/2023 at 12:15, Compound2632 said:

ChatGPT and similar AI are likely to be short-lived, as they are in considerable legal peril on three fronts:

1. Copyright, notably on the data used to train the software.
  2. GDPR, as above
  3. Libel. The software produces untrue responses. This is harmless enough when it misattributes the design of the Dreadnoughts to Aspinall, but not when it wrongly states that a living individual has committed a criminal offence, etc.

Of course, I'm sure the companies involved have plenty of legal defenses lined up...

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, eldomtom2 said:

Of course, I'm sure the companies involved have plenty of legal defenses lined up...

They seem to be in a state of denial that the law can touch them, typical of the right-wing individualism of silicon valley entrepreneurs

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

You are in thrall to surgically-enhanced women? Sounds kinda kinky.

One of their saving graces is that if they fall over, they bounce upright again...

• Funny 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ha, while searching for info on LNER 1928 corridor tenders I was offered this link as a suggestion.I know diddly squat about LMS tenders so thought I would have a read. Turns out it's AI and it missed a fundamental part of the question. What kind of tender was being referred to. Behold, total claptrap from "Sage" 😂 https://www.quora.com/How-did-the-LMS-and-LNER-corridor-tenders-differ

Edited by Bucoops
  • Funny 1