Locomotion Accurascale 55002 KOYLI in BR Blue

AY Mod

• Moderators

Class 55 No.55002

Locomotion Models and Accurascale have worked in partnership to release a new, exclusive 00 gauge Class 55 No.55002 diesel locomotive in BR blue as the latest addition to the National Collection in Miniature Series. The model has been designed and is being made by Accurascale and is expected to ship in 2024.

Class 55.jpg

The Class 55

No.55002 formed part of a fleet of Class 55 (also known as Deltic or English Electric Type 5) diesel locomotives that ran on the East Coast Main Line between

1961 and 1982.

The first Deltic prototype was produced in 1955 at Dick, Kerr & Co works in Preston, and showcased multiple notable features for diesel locomotives at the time, including its ability to run at high speeds, its power in relation to its size and weight, its large size, and unusual style, influenced by the bulldog-nosed American diesels of the time. The Deltic's power and speed impressed the management of the British Railways Eastern Region, who, at this point, were looking for a replacement for their pre-war fleet of Class A4 steam locomotives.

22 Deltics entered service in 1961, successfully replacing 79 Class A4s and 35 Class Ads, with very few mechanical changes made from the prototype versions of the locomotive. As the most powerful diesels of their time, with the ability to reach speeds of over 100mph, they significantly reduced journey times on the East Coast Main Line.

All 22 Deltics were named either after racehorses or regiments of the British Army from both the North East of England and Scotland. No.55002 was named 'Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry' (KOYLI) in a naming ceremony at York station in 1963 and was the first of the fleet to be painted in BR blue. KOYLI is currently on display in the North Shed of the National Railway Museum in York.

Both DCC Ready and DCC Sound Fitted versions of this model will be available at

E 169.99 and E 259.99 respectively, and can be reserved today with a É30 deposit.

Model Specifications Include: Highly detailed 00 scale model

Die-cast Alloy metal chassis

Timeframe specific details, including but not limited to:

Bogies

Horn positions

Exhaust ports

Headcode panels

Windscreen wipers

Cab side windows

Sandbox hatches

Louvres

Headlights

Cab air vents

Train heating equipment

Lamp irons

Shed codes

Separately applied etched metal and high fidelity plastic detail parts, including grab handles, steps, wipers, nameplates, crests and more

Correct height mini-tension-lock couplers with NEM socket as well as a fully detailed bufferbeam

High performance traction, to include:

Five-Pole motor with two flywheels

Metal Helical Gear box for maximum performance and slow speed running     Gearing arranged so locomotive can achieve a scale top speed of 120 mph (193 km/h)

DCC ready with PowerPack capacitor for uninterrupted power  All wheel drive and all wheel pickup Fully detailed Lighting Pack, including:

Directional lighting, DC and DCC

Marker lights can be turned off when train is coupled to loco

High intensity headlight function where applicable

Separately switched cab lighting and illuminated, details driver's console, auto off on movement

Engine bay lighting

RP25-110 wheels 00 wheels with provision for re-gauging to p4 and EM gauge

Two quality speakers with large sound capsules for best possible sound ( * on sound fitted models)

Fully sprung metal buffers

Extra fine factory-fitted pipework

Minimum Radius 438mm (2 nd Radius Set track)

• Like 4

Oh - me being Mr Picky, finally one I want - lol

I seem to recall seeing somewhere that the headcodes are changeable?

Thinking it could be the sound version for me!

Thanks Accy! 

Looks lovely!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Opinion will be divided 22 ways, but KOYLI is surely a celebrity locomotive best known for its repaint into green post 'withdrawal' when it went out on specials. I'm a little surprise (not a criticism at all, just observation) that it's not being released by Locomotion in its preserved state.

I've not seen Accurascale for real, only on screen, but they look in a league of their own.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Derekstuart said:

Opinion will be divided 22 ways, but KOYLI is surely a celebrity locomotive best known for its repaint into green post 'withdrawal' when it went out on specials. I'm a little surprise (not a criticism at all, just observation) that it's not being released by Locomotion in its preserved state.

I've not seen Accurascale for real, only on screen, but they look in a league of their own.

Wasn’t KOYLI done in preserved state last time?

Roy

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1