Stinkpipes.

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, BachelorBoy said:

I don't think I've ever seen a stinkpipe modelled before. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-shropshire-65252130

image.png.8def32d2e73ca1814337f3b5385a3d97.png

We were in that pub a few days ago. Didnt notice the pipe otherwise could have taken some detail shots for modelling. I wonder how popular a stink pipe model display would be Might have to have a sniff around for other stink pipe locations🤢

• Like 4

On 13/04/2023 at 11:37, Mallard60022 said:

Stench PIpe is the term I am familiar with. We have a cast iron one locally but it's in poor condition.

That Brick affair looks superb.

P

I know them as stink pipes or stench poles.

There is a good examole near the big Tesco in Woolwich.

Bernard

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/04/2023 at 10:48, phil gollin said:

(Hope this works)

This rather ornate one is near Sutton (South London) ;

https://goo.gl/maps/DtjEasAVVUnFgVR87

And, of course, most houses have one.

There are, at the last count, 29 of these ornate stench pipes in the borough of Sutton, locally listed, not that that guarantees their survival. Presumably other areas would have similar numbers - perhaps people just fail to notice them. All the Sutton ones were apparently supplied by one contractor.

IMG_0872.jpeg.22d3d0ffd6a80d5e6d04cb6353230ed3.jpeg

The pipe that houses and all other buildings have is a soil vent pipe. This is mainly to prevent discharging waste creating a vacuum in the down pipe, which might siphon the water from the u-bends of other toilets on the way down, or cause other problems. If properly built and maintained there shouldn’t be a buildup of toxic gases in the down pipe.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 28/04/2023 at 14:02, Nick Holliday said:

There are, at the last count, 29 of these ornate stench pipes in the borough of Sutton, locally listed, not that that guarantees their survival. Presumably other areas would have similar numbers - perhaps people just fail to notice them. All the Sutton ones were apparently supplied by one contractor.

IMG_0872.jpeg.22d3d0ffd6a80d5e6d04cb6353230ed3.jpeg

The pipe that houses and all other buildings have is a soil vent pipe. This is mainly to prevent discharging waste creating a vacuum in the down pipe, which might siphon the water from the u-bends of other toilets on the way down, or cause other problems. If properly built and maintained there shouldn’t be a buildup of toxic gases in the down pipe.

I lived in Herne Bay for a number of years and there are a number of similar MacFarlane stench pipes surviving around the town- there were a couple in my road, although lacking the weathervanes seen on the Sutton example- though this listed one in Grand Drive Herne Bay still has both crown and vane.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/05/2023 at 00:23, Invicta said:

I lived in Herne Bay for a number of years and there are a number of similar MacFarlane stench pipes surviving around the town- there were a couple in my road, although lacking the weathervanes seen on the Sutton example- though this listed one in Grand Drive Herne Bay still has both crown and vane.

The worrying thing is that underneath it is probably a pipe direct into the sea which is allowed to let sewage overflow into it. Hampton pier is just over the hill from there and that had signs on it warning people not to eat the shellfish a couple of years ago

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Less than 200 yards from here is a modern pipe, it looks like a street lamp post, only it's down a dirt track bridle way. there are no lamp posts within a couple of miles of here.