Signals - Present-Day Semaphore, Lights and Repeaters

• RMweb Gold

Here's a modern signal, although it's been in use for over 10 years now,

Eccles Road
10/05/2023 (Wednesday)
EN8148 signal, 2-aspect single lens (R/G), into use 01/12/2012 when Eccles Road abolished and control transferred to Cambridge PSB

Notice I have caught it returning to red from green

image.png.2f2947b6ca75766bf8158ffb47f20d66.png

• Like 8

11 hours ago, ruggedpeak said:

Bit older but still relevant as there is a Skipper in the photo, Barnstaple station early 80's, probably not too long after the freight line to Bideford closed. Notice the old 'Junction' sign propped against the bottom of the signal post, and the operational signals at the station mouth.

Untitled(26).jpg.c9cfb71ea99e3919cb1650f34a30005b.jpg

The Class 142 'Skippers' were active in the South West from September 1985 until October 1987 - the good condition of this unit and the vegetation on the right looking like it's just coming into leaf suggests Spring 1986?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Halvarras said:

The Class 142 'Skippers' were active in the South West from September 1985 until October 1987 - the good condition of this unit and the vegetation on the right looking like it's just coming into leaf suggests Spring 1986?

As a teen I loved taking photos of trains but never made any notes, but 86 or 87 is probably correct, but probably summer as we went on summer hols there a lot. The vegetation on the bank seems to spend much of its time out of the sun based upon the shadows, so may be behind on its growth? In the background the fields and trees seem to be in full bloom?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

These are extracts of photos taken from inside the 142 on the 'Tarka line in probably 86 or 87 showing semaphores and a repeater. Those who know the line will be able to identify the station!

Untitled(27).jpg.fe5a7ddbca672d7b0fa78c04de8cec9b.jpg

Untitled(28)red.jpg.62595dfb9bdac7ff30b371fcde8e6352.jpg

Untitled(22)red.jpg.0d7b6341400864fd6d5a55fbc43da85c.jpg

Original pics...

Untitled(22).jpg.14dcf0db32e5b702fc1072dbfb9b2059.jpg

Untitled(27).jpg.edb49dbe22e37285d9c00d9f10a660a3.jpg

Untitled(28).jpg.6c7610b06a03f354a6106cbd500ff824.jpg

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

These are extracts of photos taken from inside the 142 on the 'Tarka line in probably 86 or 87 showing semaphores and a repeater. Those who know the line will be able to identify the station!

Untitled(27).jpg.fe5a7ddbca672d7b0fa78c04de8cec9b.jpg

Untitled(28)red.jpg.62595dfb9bdac7ff30b371fcde8e6352.jpg

Untitled(22)red.jpg.0d7b6341400864fd6d5a55fbc43da85c.jpg

Original pics...

Untitled(22).jpg.14dcf0db32e5b702fc1072dbfb9b2059.jpg

Untitled(27).jpg.edb49dbe22e37285d9c00d9f10a660a3.jpg

Untitled(28).jpg.6c7610b06a03f354a6106cbd500ff824.jpg

It looks rather like Eggesford, with that distinctive signal box and the crossing.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't habitually photograph signals unless using them as a frame or to balance a shot.  This one on the approach to Woking from the Guildford direction, has an unusual three-route "feather":

100_4877.jpg.84bcd8215d44d8ea8c4cd42cdcd5db17.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, ruggedpeak said:

Bit older but still relevant as there is a Skipper in the photo, Barnstaple station early 80's, probably not too long after the freight line to Bideford closed. Notice the old 'Junction' sign propped against the bottom of the signal post, and the operational signals at the station mouth.

Untitled(26).jpg.c9cfb71ea99e3919cb1650f34a30005b.jpg

According to George Pryer in November 1982 the line to Meeth was taken out of use and a temporary stop block provided on the single line beyond the connection between the two lines visible in the this photo.  The temporary stop block was removed on 24 January 1983 for a railtour special to Torrington and was reinstated on 5 March that year at which time the line was permanently closed.    The signal box  closed in November 1987.

From what I can remember of all the problems that came with them and led to them being banned on the WR the Class 142 'Skippers' didn't arrive on the Region until  late 19856.  And were sent packing as quickly as possible after that due to their quickly discovered somewhat frightening inability to reliably operate track circuits which led to them gradually being banned  from just about every route in Devon & Cornwall apart from the Gunnislake branch which was, i thnk, the last service on which they survived.  

The Exmouth branch was one of the worst places for them 'disappearing' and it was very unusual for one to remain detected for its enture trip over the branch.   The branch was also used to research the problem and it was found that because of the design of their suspension - intended to give the smoothest possible ride - they spent a lot of time running with various wheels not making continuous contact with the railhead.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I don't habitually photograph signals unless using them as a frame or to balance a shot.  This one on the approach to Woking from the Guildford direction, has an unusual three-route "feather":

100_4877.jpg.84bcd8215d44d8ea8c4cd42cdcd5db17.jpg

I'm not sure why you say it is unusual.  It's not as common as single and double feather installations but you'll find plenty of examples of position "124" feathers like this one and its position "145" mirror (as well as the "123" and "456" configuration). 

In fact there is another signal with the identical "124" feather arrangement a few hundred yards away from this one, WK173, on the DS at Woking Jn, and, on the same gantry, DF signal WK375 has feathers "123".

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

Signals TLW 10 & 11 - Brighton end platforms 4&5 30 4 2022.jpg

The platform on that bracket doesn't look ideal for anybody working on the signal - you'd have to squat at floor level to fiddle with the innards as its position is by your boots.  Not that I imagine it needs much maintenance.  Excellent photo, but it's plated TLW 10 & 12, not 1o & 11 as per the caption by the way.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, beast66606 said:

Here's a modern signal, although it's been in use for over 10 years now,

Eccles Road
10/05/2023 (Wednesday)
EN8148 signal, 2-aspect single lens (R/G), into use 01/12/2012 when Eccles Road abolished and control transferred to Cambridge PSB

Notice I have caught it returning to red from green

image.png.2f2947b6ca75766bf8158ffb47f20d66.png

Agree is is a typical modern colour light signal. The aspect is generated using a cluster of LEDs rather than a filament bulb; and there is no lens. This means that the light is not focussed as a narrow beam. The signal head has a single ‘aperture’, which is the correct term. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, coronach said:

Agree is is a typical modern colour light signal. The aspect is generated using a cluster of LEDs rather than a filament bulb; and there is no lens. This means that the light is not focussed as a narrow beam. The signal head has a single ‘aperture’, which is the correct term. 

I think you will find that the LEDs are also strobed, which saves current (power).

This is noticeable when videoing as the strobe interacts with the frame rate to produce a pulsing image.

What I have noticed in the images posted here is that the LEDs are in distinct rows.

I expected them to be more clustered like on LED displays.

• RMweb Gold

What do you do while waiting for the pub to open for your OFs get-together?  Well if you know what you're looking for and know where it is in railway terms you could try to find your way to a footbridge that you know is near it - so I did.

And here it is in all its 21st century  glory (2017 to be precise) - a standard SR disc elevated on a lattice post for a setting back movement off the Ascot line towards Wokingham station but alas insufficient magnification on the camera for the best view .  But I didn't worry about that as I have earlier photos of it taken from a passing trains so all I really wanted to do was find out if it was still there.

DSCF9961copy.jpg.0e872acb7a75ff66353ff8b688a53cdd.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

What do you do while waiting for the pub to open for your OFs get-together?  Well if you know what you're looking for and know where it is in railway terms you could try to find your way to a footbridge that you know is near it - so I did.

And here it is in all its 21st century  glory (2017 to be precise) - a standard SR disc elevated on a lattice post for a setting back movement off the Ascot line towards Wokingham station but alas insufficient magnification on the camera for the best view .  But I didn't worry about that as I have earlier photos of it taken from a passing trains so all I really wanted to do was find out if it was still there.

DSCF9961copy.jpg.0e872acb7a75ff66353ff8b688a53cdd.jpg

This should really in the prototype for everything thread - spaghetti wiring for the traction feeds!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, coronach said:

This means that the light is not focussed as a narrow beam.

Does this affect sighting in fog or other low-visibility weather? Or are they just relying on the inherent brightness of the LEDs to cut through the murk?

Just wondered if the light from the LEDs was more diffuse as opposed to the focussed beam of a lamp? Also leading from that, are the LEDs able to be 'aimed' for sighting or is the whole head moved?

Sorry for the questions, it's just something I've not heard mentioned anywhere.

Edited by keefer
spelling
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, keefer said:

Does this affect sighting in fog or other low-visibility weather? Or are they just relying on the inherent brightness of the LEDs to cut through the murk?

Just wondered if the light from the LEDs was more diffuse as opposed to the focussed beam of a lamp? Also leading from that, are the LEDs able to be 'aimed' for sighting or is the whole head moved?

Sorry for the questions, it's just something if not heard mentioned anywhere.

LEDs can be obtained with various beam widths to suit the purpose, I assume the ones in a signal head are narrow beam.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, keefer said:

Sorry for the questions, it's just something if not heard mentioned anywhere.

It certainly appears tp be focused on Dorman LED signal heasds - in fact if you stand off to one side at a certain distance you can't even see what aspect is showing.  The weird 'flat face' things might be a bit different and the light from them does seem to spread more but that might be because they seem very bright?

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

From 2003 a typical WR installation of the mod 1960s albeit with a couple of updatings such as the number being changed from WR black on white to BR standard white on black (early 1990s) and the original 'phone cabinet replaced by a mpre modermn one.  That apart it is reasonably typical of what happened with Reading resignalling as it has the second style of Reading design cast base to locate the post, Reading proportioned post and Reading design ladder and safety loop.  What gives a clue to its age and the scheme under which it was installed are the use of an SGE multi-aspect head (the Reading scheme seems to have used what was in the stores plus obviously some new purchases so signal heads varied with originally a mixture of Westinghouse and SGE running signal heads plus SGE ground position lights at Reading but Westinghouse at Didcot.  And of course it is WR numbering so it is clearly a Relief Line siganl (1XX series) and  an Up direction signal (odd number).  Tilehurst.   (Signal is still there but the head is now a Dorman head, post and base now nearing their 60th birthday proving that colour light signals can have long lives)

BTW I hope people don't mind all the detail but hpefully it will aid modellers who are articularly interested in gettng signals details correct for place and time)

R141.jpeg.5fd6c6ef3f989b03e23d3e7ed2a68c23.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

- in fact if you stand off to one side at a certain distance you can't even see what aspect is showing....

I think that is why the LED type signals have an "eyebrow" (top left) of 8 or so LEDs angled towards the track to help drivers see which aspect is being displayed when the "loco" is stood close to the signal.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2