Signals - Present-Day Semaphore, Lights and Repeaters

• RMweb Premium

Once the new signalling had been commissioned at Gilberdyke, for those signals that weren't immediately removed from site the lamps were extinguished, levers disconnected and arms  fitted with a white cross pending removal of the now redundant signals.

DSC07076.JPG.48cf4be372dd39cf8f3372aa630e3737.JPG

DSC07080.JPG.bf617874838e9bd9f74399fbeacb8ca1.JPG

DSC07085.JPG.de520a3b8c5bef51bef6390eaf3472d5.JPG

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

As this thread title includes 'repeaters' I thought this might be of interest (whilst I dig out some photos of semaphores at Sleaford that no longer exist). Although now gone, W215RR was Woodburn's 'outer' distant on the Down Worksop, located between Darnall and Woodhouse. It could only display a 'double yellow' or 'green' aspect, hence no SPT as no driver ever stopped at the signal. Photo taken whilst undertaking a survey in the area. 

IMG00033.JPG.42ae71e9c3476d0933df7954d1914eb6.JPG

• Like 10

1 hour ago, iands said:

It could only display a 'double yellow' or 'green' aspect, hence no SPT as no driver ever stopped at the signal. Photo taken whilst undertaking a survey in the area. 

... and for the same reason, there's no need for a Rule 55 exemption diamond.

We can deduce that it is indeed an outer distant or repeater from the R suffix to its numbering, which indicates that is a repeater for W215R (inner distant), which in turn wold be a repeater for W215 (Home or Outer Home)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

A couple of pics of a semaphore signal with a chopped top, Stonehaven May 2022:

StonehavenMay2022a.jpg.7e418572d86a28b3bafbd94a289e2908.jpgStonehavenMay2022b.jpg.86b75cb9ce7bd383a54cc082e669dc33.jpg

That doesn't look like it's properly Off

Andi

• Agree 2

27 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

That doesn't look like it's properly Off

Andi

That's about all KJ7 ( up thread at Kidderminster) used to manage, even with the wire adjuster wound right up. 

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 2

Photos of a two aspect colour light signal on the Midland main line, in the cutting south of Wilnecote, taken during a joint inspection with Network Rail of the cutting slopes in April 2018.

Front view.

2aspectsignalfrontviewP1140939.JPG.8abc4562a7945602f275de2027e74a6a.JPG

Side and rear.  Note steel plate on ladder to deter local yobs interfering with the signal.

2aspectsignalrearviewP1140936.JPG.95da02517e6fd38bb32959f7eb30d618.JPG

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

A few from Scotland back in 2010 starting with some relics of Caley signalling practice (converted to UQ arms etc) at the south end of Stirling.   Snatched from the train window (an HST fortunately so a droplight was available).

StirlingModdle.jpg.6dd328c1d4b0e93c8820598c835b8372.jpg

I have photos of this second bracket structure taken on three separate occasions over a period of 17 years and showing a few subtle changes which took place but the basic structure was unaltered from its original lattice structure.  In 1993 there was still a single surviving Caley LQ arm on a nearby siding signal but it had gone by 2004 when i next visited.

SrtirlingModdle2.jpg.5b327341caaace815ccdaadcfbd23fba.jpg

Now to Perth some days later.  Sorry about the angle on this one but i just managed to snatch it as the train was departing and I saw the signal.   1950s Scottish Region installation but very much in accord with a practice developed by the LNER immediately before WWII. so a piece of history.  Even in the 1990s - and maybe still today? - Perth was a wonderland of unaltered 1950s colour light signalling practice which presumably there had been no money to modernise;  I wonder if these signals are still there?

Perth.jpg.5f420669467b146bd27064affbb25baf.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Back to the Western.  Originally BJ (Bradford Jcn) 102  W186 stands on Bradford In Abvon Up  platform and is Westbury's first controlled signal on the Up Trowbridge llne (from Bathampton Jcn).  I think it was probably originally installed when Greenland Mill Level Crossing  was automated as Bradford Jcn was the supervising signal box and there were no other controlled stop signals on the that side of the crossing worked by that 'box.  

Although the 'phone cabinet has been replaced, and of course the signal number has changed everything else is very  much 'second half of the 1960s' Reading Stores supplied mix of components plus various  standard Reading parts such as the disconnection box and cast base.  Definitely not a single source contractor job.  When I took this photo c.2010 the signal still had a 2 lens, 2-aspect (red/green) head, which inevitably won't be the case now .

Bradford.jpeg.32f3d351d40d6e5a8b5aff6d0a2fb541.jpeg

• Like 9

20 hours ago, iands said:

DSC07080.JPG.bf617874838e9bd9f74399fbeacb8ca1.JPG

Resignalling is a period I've never seen modelled.  On the plus side it's the easiest way to have working signals on layout that has semaphores, as it's only the new colour light ones that have to operate!  It also gives you an excuse for running more engineers' trains than would be normal.

Bi-directional lines are becoming more popular than they used to be; the capability helps to reduce the incidence of service withdrawal for engineering works and whilst often not needed in routine working, it improves operational fleixibility by enabling the "wrong" line to run past a failed train which should also reduce delays.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Bi-directional lines are becoming more popular than they used to be; the capability helps to reduce the incidence of service withdrawal for engineering works and whilst often not needed in routine working, it improves operational fleixibility by enabling the "wrong" line to run past a failed train which should also reduce delays.

I'm a little surprised that Bi-directional running isn't the norm on busy UK main lines. Most instances seem to be more for emergency use.

It is more or less the default in the USA on multitrack routes and fairly common in Europe.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I like that signal - there's so many bits bolted to that post there's hardly room for the sign beside it - and that sign is tied to (supported by?) the cables connecting the locs to the signal and SPT.   It really isn't just a length of tube with a couple of lamps on top.

The call-on signal looks more modern than the main head.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

I'm a little surprised that Bi-directional running isn't the norm on busy UK main lines. Most instances seem to be more for emergency use.

It is more or less the default in the USA on multitrack routes and fairly common in Europe.

You probably have more need for routine bi-di in the US because your distances between stations are so vast.  I suspect we have more of a long standing cultural aversion to using tracks in both directions. 

They probably got a fright with the opening of the GWR.  The story is that the train duly arrived at destination and the big-wigs celebrated for so long that the return working was late coming back.  But as there was no telegraph yet,  the good folks at Paddington thought the opening train must have broken down en route and set off to look for it ... light engine on the opposite line and had to put it into reverse in hurry when they met it!

When block working became mandatory for passenger working, it wasn't considered sufficient on single lines to protect against head-ons, as the Board of Trade still insisted on a physical staff or token as well.  Where two tracks doesn't give enough capacity, we tend to go for quadruple track.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Resignalling is a period I've never seen modelled.  On the plus side it's the easiest way to have working signals on layout that has semaphores, as it's only the new colour light ones that have to operate!  ...

No necercelery ...... you could model it with the colour lights installed but not yet commissioned ! 

• Like 2

On 06/05/2023 at 15:56, Mike_Walker said:

One of my favourite semaphores was the infamous KJ63 SPAD trap at Kidderminster Junction before the resignalling.  

D-BR-401_Kidderminster10-8-08.jpg.3ae41e894cc85cde8eda41201a599dd4.jpg

The scene today, just after 4 pm,  is  very different

20230510_162258.jpg.f68574295487b35ba0a1848c4c31cde0.jpg

Note the new crossover to access the SVR  direct in the up direction, or more commonly the down goods loop as an alternative to the turnback siding and the ability to depart wrong direction towards the junction. 

The lamp hut is still there in the foreground 

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
On 10/05/2023 at 13:46, melmerby said:

Two reasons -

1. It is very expensive to install (although now probably not as expensive as it was with relay interlockings).  and

2. Because of the cost it needs really solid traffic justification and very often that doesn't exist as it would in, for the best example, the USA while for engineering work Single Line Working it has limited value because of modern safe working distance clearance requirements.

On the EWr the originally planned extent of bi-directional (aka reversible) signalling was v cut back considerably on cost grounds but some was finally introduced as SIMBIDS instead.  SIMBIDS is Simplified Bi-Directional Signalling and doesn't exactly repliacte on the bang road the capacity of the signalling on the right direction road although those signal which do exist are opposite the right direction signals.

Belgium is the place to se really widespread bi-directional signalling as it is in use on all SNCB mainlines and its easy to pick out the bi-di signals as they flash continuously irrespective of the aspect they are displaying

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 09/05/2023 at 18:57, eastglosmog said:

Photos of a two aspect colour light signal on the Midland main line, in the cutting south of Wilnecote, taken during a joint inspection with Network Rail of the cutting slopes in April 2018.

Front view.

2aspectsignalfrontviewP1140939.JPG.8abc4562a7945602f275de2027e74a6a.JPG

Side and rear.  Note steel plate on ladder to deter local yobs interfering with the signal.

2aspectsignalrearviewP1140936.JPG.95da02517e6fd38bb32959f7eb30d618.JPG

It has 2 lenses but it is a 4 aspect signal

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Belgium is the place to se really widespread bi-directional signalling as it is in use on all SNCB mainlines and its easy to pick out the bi-di signals as they flash continuously irrespective of the aspect they are displaying

That explains all those flashing aspects you see from the Antwetp Ring then. 

Andy

• Agree 1

A few more oddments…

Moss growing on the back of this semaphore at Grindleford, 2019:

Grindleford2019.jpg.fbea00a24560264263fef672bfb4cd9a.jpg

Kneeling signal prior to commissioning, Gilberdyke, 2018:

Gilberdyke2018.jpg.87d726f8f13980aff07a78db77cb8249.jpg

Signal with two kinds of feathers, Rotherham, 2016:

FeathersRotherham2016.jpg.106b7618795ce6faad387b62151b2c17.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Much of the GEML is bi-directional for emergency with IIRC 2 aspect signals on the 'wrong' side, in Essex at least. There are a series of crossovers at strategic points along the the line to allow trains to move across to the 'wrong' side if there is a blockage. As a commuter on the GEML for 20 years used them more than a few times. I did a detailed photo study of the Kelvedon crossing during COVID and one day will put on RMWeb for reference.

There was the time some years ago that a Norwich push-pull failed at Shenfield sitting across the points required to release the only Thunderbird on the line and part of the crossing to the 'wrong' line, causing chaos for hours since it could not be moved until another loco could be found. The Thunderbird at Shenfield was a 66 for any container trains that failed given the consequences and presumably cost to the FOC of one of those failing in rush hour on the GE. On winter mornings the 66 would be sat idling next to Platform 1 and the Shenfield Shark.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Bit older but still relevant as there is a Skipper in the photo, Barnstaple station early 80's, probably not too long after the freight line to Bideford closed. Notice the old 'Junction' sign propped against the bottom of the signal post, and the operational signals at the station mouth.

Untitled(26).jpg.c9cfb71ea99e3919cb1650f34a30005b.jpg

Edited by ruggedpeak
  • Like 12