Short Trains Worth Modelling

On 10/05/2023 at 18:22, Oldddudders said:

I fear the problem with modelling any of these is that we know it wasn't an everyday sight. Yes, as in the comments on the pic of D5, it may well be that the return working was fully profitable, but even so. 

I think it was Trains magazine that captioned a comparable pic "When the loco is longer than the train, the bottom line is written in red!"

I don't see why model railways have to focus on portraying the everyday...

• Like 1

With Hornby's Grant Rail Ruston 48DS 'GR5090' (R3853) currently available for less than £70 from some retailers how about this for an ultra-ultra-short 'train'?!

(Flickr photo)

image.png.8de7a8910121b894b08276dae6271d34.png

The model's conflat runner wagon body could be swapped for that from a Dapol 10' wheelbase hopper wagon, maybe cut down a little and repainted to match (or a debranded Bachmann 'Cadburys' version which is already yellow!)

You'd even get a usable standard conflat wagon out of the leftovers 😁 (You can tell I've been giving this some thought.......but I'm trying to resist adding yet another project to my extensive existing projects pile....!!)

The real one has larger cab windows than the model and appears to be a later version (one reason to not get too hung up on the accuracy of the hopper wagon!) Until 1996 Grant Rail had been Grant Lyon Eagre, and the album 'Cornish China Clay Trains in Colour' by Maurice Dart includes a photo of a similar set-up involved in ballasting work at ECC Burngullow in which the hopper wagon, with this longer name down the side, is being propelled by a less elaborate, and considerably smaller but still yellow, motorised trolley, so this 'motive-power plus hopper wagon' formation seems to have been a standard arrangement for this company in either guise. 

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 06/07/2023 at 02:06, Halvarras said:

With Hornby's Grant Rail Ruston 48DS 'GR5090' (R3853) currently available for less than £70 from some retailers how about this for an ultra-ultra-short 'train'?!

(Flickr photo)

image.png.8de7a8910121b894b08276dae6271d34.png

The model's conflat runner wagon body could be swapped for that from a Dapol 10' wheelbase hopper wagon, maybe cut down a little and repainted to match (or a debranded Bachmann 'Cadburys' version which is already yellow!)

You'd even get a usable standard conflat wagon out of the leftovers 😁 (You can tell I've been giving this some thought.......but I'm trying to resist adding yet another project to my extensive existing projects pile....!!)

The real one has larger cab windows than the model and appears to be a later version (one reason to not get too hung up on the accuracy of the hopper wagon!) Until 1996 Grant Rail had been Grant Lyon Eagre, and the album 'Cornish China Clay Trains in Colour' by Maurice Dart includes a photo of a similar set-up involved in ballasting work at ECC Burngullow in which the hopper wagon, with this longer name down the side, is being propelled by a less elaborate, and considerably smaller but still yellow, motorised trolley, so this 'motive-power plus hopper wagon' formation seems to have been a standard arrangement for this company in either guise. 

Literally just bought a Dapol 16T to fit to the match wagon chassis after seeing this post 🤣 

• Funny 2

9 minutes ago, Weeny Works said:

Literally just bought a Dapol 16T to fit to the match wagon chassis after seeing this post 🤣 

Pleased to have been of service 😁!!

Kernow still have 6 at £69.99, if anyone's still tempted (to stop me being tempted!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Halvarras said:

Pleased to have been of service 😁!!

Kernow still have 6 at £69.99, if anyone's still tempted (to stop me being tempted!)

I get paid next Weds! Leave one to me 😁

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Those of us over a certain age might remember a Railway Modeller article with an identical title, I seem to recall a few n gauge trains in the pictures. Lurking somewhere on Flickr is a picture of a single class 20 one,  medfit carrying half a dozen over length sleepers with the Pway gang sat on the sleepers. There's no brakevan and the tail lamp is slung over the draw hook. 

There's also a picture of 20082 passing Banbury with a streamline Bullied and brakevan in tow, possibly in the OPC book Power of the Class 20's. Dangerous goods trains often fall into the short train category, along with barrier vehicle moves for various reasons. HST vehicles being an easy one to model , not forgetting inspection saloon trips. Not all postals were long trains, Workington Huddesfield was a three vehicle train in later years(steam and early diesel era the train split at Preston) consisting of BG/TPO/BG. I think the Lincoln Derby was even shorter at just a BG/TPO.

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I spent many years working on short test trains based out of the RTC at Derby.  When carrying out acceptance tests of new freight stock or on-track plant, in most cases just one vehicle was submitted for test. The test trains usually consisted of just a Test Coach and the vehicle under test; here's an example, a new PXA Wagon PDUF3009 undergoing Brake Testing at Winsford 18 Aug 1986.

PXA Wagon PDUF3009 - SlipBrake Test at Winsford 18 Aug 1986.jpg

• Like 12

Another short test train, HST power cars 43051 and 43116 with Test Car 10 (ADB975814), MkIV TOE 12201 and TGS 44019. The testing of the first MKIV coach 12201 throughout February 1989 ran on the ECML between KingsX & Edinburgh. Temporary 36-way jumper cables were fitted through the MKIV so the power cars could talk to each other; the train is seen here at Grantham during a break between tests.

43051 with MkIV coach test train Feb 1989 at Grantham.jpg

• Like 5

I managed to capture a few photos of short trains back in the 1980s. I think many of them would have been local trip workings, and also engineers trains.

47309 at Manchester Victoria

A short engineers train at Manchester Victoria behind 47309. 6/9/84.

Norwich Thorpe Junction

Norwich Thorpe Junction, a local trip behind 08205. 6/7/81

20130 at York Yard North

York Yard North 20130 arrives with a trip from Hessay MOD 25/7/84.

40181 departs Arpley Junction 23/3/82.

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
Additional info
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone based a layout on the M.o.D. 'Government Stores' network?  Although diminished in recent years, I think it would be good for Speedlink-style shunting, short trains, and trip working.  Especially if you like the old VGA vans.  Just a thought.

• Like 1