Short Trains Worth Modelling

2 minutes ago, C126 said:

Has anyone based a layout on the M.o.D. 'Government Stores' network?  Although diminished in recent years, I think it would be good for Speedlink-style shunting, short trains, and trip working.  Especially if you like the old VGA vans.  Just a thought.

One layout I have seen several times is Dovington Camp by the Clevedon and Portishead Armchair Modellers (CLAPHAM). They run a good selection of rolling stock including rebuilt and modified wagons. Have a look at their website.

cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Rivercider said:

One layout I have seen several times is Dovington Camp by the Clevedon and Portishead Armchair Modellers (CLAPHAM). They run a good selection of rolling stock including rebuilt and modified wagons. Have a look at their website.

cheers

Cor!  It is very good, isn't it.  Sorry to see it is not time tabled for exhibition this year, but hope to see it one day.  I do like the 'open' warehouse.  Many thanks.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

A few from the early 1990s in Devon

DSC01228.JPG.d0d88e71cd669d4691bd4721750155d3.JPG

DSC01231.JPG.a0cb74f5f903a1cc54c3baa15a09aeef.JPG

DSC01235.JPG.5dd3d19ea30837beec21a800e827bfa0.JPG

and of course positioning moves for railtours

DSC00146.JPG.163955e92aa8cfacf32859ba888632d8.JPG

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I made one up, however there were Prototype examples. It's just I've not got any Pics to help.

BR SR WOEML early 60s, West of Salisbury and East of Exeter. Racehorses and Staff. A Rake of Mk1 Horse Boxes (Flexible number) I got most of at Auction at a VERY good Price...including TMC Weathered versions and a couple of Bulleids (BSK and SO usually).

That could probably be adapted to Cavalry, just for fun. 

Phil

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C126 said:

Has anyone based a layout on the M.o.D. 'Government Stores' network?  Although diminished in recent years, I think it would be good for Speedlink-style shunting, short trains, and trip working.  Especially if you like the old VGA vans.  Just a thought.

Almost looks like a model from a Welsh Sheep source.

image.png.6891dbef67086a8d03d55e69e8fa6021.png

Photo source William Stevens on Flicker

North British: 0-4-0DH, NBL27429 1955 ARMY 408 at Army Yardley Chase OESD Depot. Photo dated 10th July 1980.

This was linked to the BR Network at Bridge Street Northampton and MOD operated the former Northampton - Bedford line from there as far as Piddington  for this traffic. This was last year of operation.

Lots of material on internet about the site.

Edited by 2E Sub Shed
Add missed text
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Rivercider said:

20130 at York Yard North

York Yard North 20130 arrives with a trip from Hessay MOD 25/7/84.

Interestingly, the brake van has lamps on the sides meaning the train (or at least the tail end of it) is running unbraked.

Steven B

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

The presence of a brake van, complete with side lamps certainly suggests that the continuous air brake on the vans is wholly or partially inoperative.

However, IIRC, the usual practice of the guard riding in the back cab of the loco only pertained on class 20s when used in multiple.  (I'm not 100% certain of that as they didn't work where I did).

Also, given that it's an MOD working, it might also be carrying more than one kind of guard.....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Also, note two vans sandwiched around a VEA, after the first long-wheel-base van (VAA?).  Perhaps the VEA was carrying something 'interesting', needing a barrier-wagon either side.

31 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Well, the brakevan is painted grey which would imply that IT isn't continuously braked and the guard cannot apply the brake throughout ......... the question is, why IS there a brakevan at that date ??!?

Would the brake van requirement be because at that date the guard would not be permitted to ride with the driver, and there is no rear cab on a class 20? I think the restriction also existed on pairs of class 20s unless there was communication between the 2 cabs?

cheers 

• Informative/Useful 1

Here are some more short formations. I think they might have appeared before on other threads.

6Z68 Speedlink Special for Westbury

6Z68 a Speedlink special working to Westbury (vice 6O68 Severn Tunnel Junction to Eastleigh) passes Stapleton Road behind 31121. 30/9/81

Exeter Central Trip

Speedlink trip from Exeter Riverside to Exeter Central with 2 ferry vans for the Premier Transport depot. Guinness was a regular traffic to there at the time. Passing through St Davids behind loco 33021 9/7/85

Derby Road Trip

Speedlink trip for Derby Road leaves Ipswich Yard behind 47146. 11/11/83

cheers 

• Like 15

Hymek 7018 heads east through Reading with a 'train' about as long as itself!

750301_D7018Readingnp.jpg.a6b0790f385a018b76c543d293f41a7b.jpg

Date was 1st March 1975 - at the time I thought I'd scored a real scoop with this as, according to my notebook, this was supposed to have been the final day of Hymek operation. Of course it wasn't, as 7011/22 were withdrawn on the 2nd, 7017 on the 13th, and last survivor 7018 on the 19th. As Adrian Curtis stated in his booklet 'Hymek Sunset', it was "Game Over" for my favourite class. Sob!

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Well, the brakevan is painted grey which would imply that IT isn't continuously braked and the guard cannot apply the brake throughout ......... the question is, why IS there a brakevan at that date ??!?

There'd be no point in the guard being on the loco anyway.

He'd not have been able to see or do anything the driver couldn't.

Is it perhaps as simple as that?

• RMweb Gold

I expect everyone here knows about it, but just in case, may I mention the three(?)-part series in B.R.M. by Dr Michael Rhodes, Short & Sweet.  Photos from his collection of short goods trains, in June, October, and December 2014.  Rather good, I thought.

• Like 1