Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

London Road Models - new kits

Jol Wilkinson

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Gibson do them. For a 4P 2-6-4T but should be about the right size.

4866ST 5’ 6" 22.0mm. 17 spoke Stanier 2-6-4 Tank Bevel PB

Jason

But the 2P 0-4-4T appears to be inline on spoke.

The 5'6"/5'7" discrepancy is reasonably trivial due to wear.

There are a few decent photos in the LMS Journal Preview edition, which has an article & GAs of the 2P. There are certainly examples of both in line crankpins and between spoke.  It suggests (from this small sample of photos which clearly show it) that early in their lives they were in line and later gained between spoke.

• RMweb Premium

I think i have the answer now.

As i am going to do the whole train.

Firstly this book is excellent.

20230807_175331.jpg.e4549d9c1a82d1d7e038bb44c0e85a31.jpg

And on page 102

20230807_175457.jpg.8f1c3de1c21e65adb56280c899d650c3.jpg

Between spoke, different to an earlier picture of it.

Edited by MJI

Very interested to hear about your build experiences with this kit.  I really want one of these tanks as 41900 as she was seen at Wellington Salop in 1960.  I have the old Falcon Brass kit of this loco, but would be interested in this more up to date kit. 

I too have been struggling with the number of spokes and came up with 17 for all the photos that I have in the 1955+ era.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, zed said:

Very interested to hear about your build experiences with this kit.  I really want one of these tanks as 41900 as she was seen at Wellington Salop in 1960.  I have the old Falcon Brass kit of this loco, but would be interested in this more up to date kit. 

I too have been struggling with the number of spokes and came up with 17 for all the photos that I have in the 1955+ era.

Going to go for 17 spoke between spoke from that photo

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I saw one of the Midland Railway D838 Coal Tar/Creosote Tank wagons at the Wakefield show today, they look just as good, if not even better, in real life.

Evidently others thought so too, as all the kits had sold in the first few hours, but more will be available from the on-line shop soon I was told, so I will be making an order very soon.

• Like 3

The LRM website is effectively  a catalogue and doesn't have a live stock levels/ordering capability. It is best to place an order through the "contact" button.  John Redrup will then let you know when it is available and request payment (usually by PayPal).

http://www.londonroadmodels.com/how_to_buy_from_us.php

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 7 months later...

I posted this on Tony Wright's thread, a few pictures of my build of the MR Tar Tank. I gather Jol was a bit disappointed not to see people’s builds of this kit on the forum.

Not as beautifully made as the one posted on the previous page, but it will fit my layout well as a well worn 60 year old tank.

It is my first brass/white metal wagon kit, picked up at the York show a couple of weeks ago. Pretty much built as per the instructions, with a couple of tiny additions and couple of mistakes along the way.

Do solder the tank plates flat as instructed and don’t bend them to see how they fit before soldering them together. Still, it makes of a well worn 60 year old wagon.

I did find the closeness of detail on a wagon kit a little more challenging for my level of soldering compared with a coach or loco, but it was a really enjoyable build and a bit of filing, sanding and Wet & Dry has sorted out most of the solder spills.

My second London Road Models kit (L&Y class 23 0-6-0 was the first), and as well as being lovely people to have a chat with at a show, they do make lovely kits. Maybe a L&Y big boilered 0-8-0 at some time in the future, not quite right for my layout, but far too tempting to resist for long.

MR_Tank22.jpg

MR_Tank23.jpg

MR_Tank24.jpg

MR_Tank25.jpg

MR_Tank26.jpg

I have posted more details of the build in my Elerby thread linked in my signature.

I really do recommend this kit, even it is only a storage tank parked in siding most of time, occasionally shunted by an 0-6-0 or 0-4-0, possibly my Sentinel when the layout is back up, it would make a great addition to a layout.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 18

• 1 month later...

London Road Models are now supplying a number of etched items formerly available from Brassmasters.

These include:

Coupling and connecting rods.

Wagon axle spacing jigs 

Buffer height jig.

Track and signalling items.

Architectural windows.

Details and prices at,

http://www.londonroadmodels.com/xbrass/xbrass1.php

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

John Redrup has told me  that a couple of people have recently commented at exhibitions, that emails to London Road Models have not been answered. This may be due the the website contact link not working correctly which is under investigation.

Please ensure that any emails to John at LRM are to,

londonroadmodels@btinternet.com

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1